TEAM SHELBY FORUM

9" Axle Assembly from Shelby Performance Parts?

Any chance that SPP would ever offer the 9" rear axle assembly from the Shelby 1000? I realize there are companies like Currie, Strange, and others out there, but it would be cool coming from Shelby! Maybe offer different gear ratios, narrowing, etc. (narrowing 0.5" would be a cool way to fit slightly wider tires on a standard 10" Alcoa!). Any interest or plans to do something like this?

We've started offering certain parts (Moser axles, etc...) for the 8.8, and may look into complete performance rearends.

Jer

Thanks Jerry! A complete 9" axle assembly that can reuse the factory brakes would be a great upgrade. Getting it from you and the SPP team would just be icing on the cake, as I am sure a lot of members are like us and want to keep our Shelby as "Shelby" as possible.

I just re-did my rear end: Paintjob, Eaton TrueTrac, 3.73 FRPP gears, Moser axles, bearings, new UCA and mount, diff cover, Extreme+ brakes, etc....

So I KNOW how convenient it would be to have a finished rear diff setup available. I'll get on it.

Jer

Will do. There are lots of good vendors out there making great stuff, I'm sure we can do something nice.

Jer

Did some research today, and we WILL be offering some PRE-MADE SPP rear-end solutions. Lots of options and Custom Option stuff coming soon!

Everyone, chime in on what you'd like to see offered...

Jer

Well, the list of things I'd like to see in a 9" rear end goes something like this...

Must clear/fit with the Shelby Watts link (preferably both versions)

Must work with the Shelby Baer rear brakes (even if it's an option)

I'd like to see an option to use the standard driveshaft

I'd also like to see LCA relocation brackets built in

And (yes this is probably a bit in left field) I'd love to see a setup that incorporates a provision for a torque arm. Of course then you'd have to design a TA as well.

This is exciting Jer!

What I would like to see is a Ford 9" (or beefed up 8.8") with a choice of gears and differentials. Make it bolt in either using factory components or components that are to factory specifications (UCA, LCA, panhard bar, etc.). have it painted and use an aluminum differential cover with drain and fill plugs for easy maintenance. I think offering a one piece driveshaft to match the axle would be a nice option as well. You could go crazy with disc brake offerings, but something that the factory units could be mounted to would really be nice to start.

It might be going too far, but I would like to see an offering that allows the axle to be shortened by about 1/2" on both sides to allow Shelby Alcoas to run wider tires. A 10" Alcoa could likely fit at least a 305mm tire, but with the offset of the rim and the overhang of the wider tire, it does not work well. However, if the entire rim and tire were moved inward by about 1/2" or so, it could llikely fit nicely. This might be a nice option to offer on the SuperSnake packages.

Thank you for looking into the possibilty of this for all of us. If it makes good financial sense and gets good responses, I hope it moves forward!

Another thing to consider is the pinion flange for the 2013 cars with the carbon fiber driveshaft. I don't know if the distance from the axle centerline to the pinion flange is the same between a 8.8" and a 9" or whether you can get the style of the 2013 pinion flange to mount on a 9" rear, but it would be very nice to keep the stock carbon fiber driveshaft with this upgrade. Otherwise you will have to offer a driveshaft to match the rear with this conversion an price it into a kit.

I also like the idea of options on upgrading the brakes incorporated into the pricing or no brakes to utilize the stock brakes

Some things I can already say are on my shopping list and I know we will have:

Wilwood brakes pre-installed (optional)

Watts link clearance

Built-in LCA lowering brackets

Pre-painted, possible powdercoated housing

Choice of gear ratios and diff

Choice of axle studs

Bolt-in installation

(Just off the top of my head)

Jer

FYI, the Shelby 1000 uses a rearend supplied by Currie. I'll let Jer address the rest of your post.

Steve

Steve,

We started with a Currie, but changed direction... it's now a much more custom item...

Jer

I'm getting the 2014 ss and I want to add the WATTS LINK BILLET ALUMINUM REAR SUSPENSION . So what do you get with it ?? I see SHELBY has two of them which one is better ??

We have a steel one (blue) and a billet aluminum one. The billet one is 2 pounds lighter, and looks a lot nicer, plus has an engraved Shelby logo. Otherwise, the same function - they work to control the roll center, and the car definitely feels the effect, it is an additional form of chassis bracing, and can reduce the amount the rear axle "steers" the car. I love mine, even just backing out of my driveway, the rear of the car feels stiffer, and more obedient to steering input. My third favorite and most effective mod ever (the blower and the brakes are #1 and #2). It is adjustable, so the car can be more "tail happy" for drifting, or more of a "snowplow", or just plain "neutral" in corners (my terms entirely, and mine is set up to be neutral).

Jer

I'd like to see an option to use the standard driveshaft

I've never seen a 9" offering for the S197 chassis that used a cup style pinion flange for the factory style CV joint. They usually have a flange for a U-joint. In addition, there'll be a problem for '13 owners that want to retain their CF driveshaft if the face of the pinion flange is in a different location (fore or aft) due to the length of the third member.

'07-'13 cup style pinion flange

IMAG0899.jpg

Typical aftermarket (in this case, Currie) yoke

currie_enterprises_9_inch.jpg

Jer, Shelby should have the resources to have a custom billet cup style flange made that would allow this. I have yet to see it done though. I'm also no fan of the 'Johnny Joint' atop the Currie housing. A simple factory style (custom durometer or not) bushing would suffice.

What I'd want in a 9" from Shelby...

- Move the lower shock bracket in slightly. Function of the shock would be the same but may possibly allow for more clearance to the shock body with custom meats. Shaft cover may still need removal or trimming though.

- Cup style pinion flange. Allows retention of factory '13 CF shaft as well as for '07-'12 owners that want to switch to the '13 shaft.

- Rear fill and drain plugs.

- stock width dimensions. Custom lengths only drive up cost.

- Multiple axle options (spline count, materials for drag or road race, etc).

- Bearing retainer plate/bracket that allows stock brakes to bolt on, whether the '07-'12 dimension or the '13 extended bracket for the larger diameter rotor.

- Optional fittings that allow '13 owners to bolt up their temp sensor as well as the for the cooler.

That's it!

I've never seen a 9" offering for the S197 chassis that used a cup style pinion flange for the factory style CV joint. They usually have a flange for a U-joint. In addition, there'll be a problem for '13 owners that want to retain their CF driveshaft if the face of the pinion flange is in a different location (fore or aft) due to the length of the third member.

Yea, I know. I've never seen it either, that's why I mentioned it. The yoke itself shouldn't be a problem, and they could offer different styles depending on year. I'm not actually wanting to use the stock DS (really, what would be the point of a 9" if you aren't straining the stock driveshaft enough to break it?), but I'd prefer to use a bolt in one piece rather than a custom U-jointed one.

The flange location being different could be an issue, but it depends on how much different it is. I had a 9" in my '99 Camaro and used the stock DS with no problems. If I remember right it was only about 1/4 inch difference in length. I don't know how much play the CV joints give here though.

Anyway, it was just a list of "wants".

Keep in mind that I'm going to open this thing up to LOTS of options. Many 2013 owners may just get one of our beefed-up 8.8 rear ends - they will be mighty stout.

This won't be an in-stock item (in most cases), it will be a made-to-order system that accomodates various driveshafts, brakes, axle stud lengths, etc...

I'm basing the options around what you all are requesting here, as much as possible.

Jer

P.S. It FIGURES, this program will start after I just dumped a few grand into my stock 8.8... LOL... You guys get all the luck.

Thanks for all the hard work Jer! Can't wait to see what is ulimately offered by SPP. I will be waiting with $$ in hand to place the order!!

I'm trying to sort it all out, so we can meet every price point and need. The Shelby 1000 rear end has a price tag that would reduce a grown man to TEARS, so I want to make it something where everyone can get the right stuff at the right price.

Jer

Archived