TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Do you collect Mustang/SVT Literature / Dealer Items ???

WISMACH1

Hi All,

I had a question for everyone on the board. Do you collect Mustang / SVT literature to go with your car ? I have been actively collecting FORD retail, dealer, and press literature and items since 1993. Back then, I was hitting all the Ford dealerships in my area every weekend asking for anything and everything they had or wanted to get rid of. It didn't matter what it was, a brochure, a salesman's piece, or a display piece. If it looked cool and I could talk them out of it, it went home with me. That's how I ended up with most of my dealership displays .....

SVTStuff01.jpg

SVTStuff02.jpg

SVTStuff03.jpg

SVTStuff04.jpg

What amazes me now-a-days is that a lot of new and older Mustang owners don't know what was available to collect on their vehicle. Items such as PRESS KITS or FORD DEALERSHIP salesperson pieces such as order guides, source books, can be great pieces to collect on your vehicle. Up until a few years ago, Ford was still producing "hard copy" paper PRESS KITS, or also known as MEDIA KITS. These were done for media events at the auto shows. The past number of years, these kits have been given out on "flash drives" so that they are easier to use for the print and internet media.

I was fortunate enough to get to know some of the people at SVT and at Ford media back in the early 90's. They helped me get a good number of press kits for my collection, as well as DEALER ONLY salesperson literature.

SVTStuff12.jpg

SVTStuff13.jpg

I also had a good friend and fellow collector who went to the auto shows as a media attendee and was able to get items for me.

As I said above, I also made myself known to all fhe Ford dealerships in my area and most of the time, they were good enough to put items aside for me that would have normally been tossed away when they were no longer needed. It's been a long time since I actively made the rounds at all the dealerships which probably made them happy. Luckily my dealership in town still saves stuff for me and my literature collection continues to grow.

I'm curious to know if any of you chase down PRESS or DEALERSHIP pieces for your car(s) and/or collection ? Over the years, I have collected enough literature on just Mustangs to fill two four drawer filing cabnets. Every now and then I dig out some stuff just to look at it again. I thought about cataloging it, but it would take me forever to do it. Though it would be FUN to see how much stuff I actually have.

So let's hear about what you have collected. And if you have pictures, please post them for all to see.

Take care and have a great day all.

Scott

Edited by WISMACH1

Scott, we seem to be of a kindred spirit. I've collected a number of press kits, although my collection is a bit more diverse. I've got a Bugatti Veyron, Aston Martin kit (or two), Lamborghini Murceilago kit and a Ford GT kit (complete with spinner replica). I do have a number of Mustang and Shelby kits, but the one that got me started was the Viper of which I have not only a number of press kits as well as Chrysler Viper (European) brochures.

Hi John and All,

I actually used to collect a few other literature items such as Corvette, Viper, and others. But after a while, I just had to get my focus back on Mustangs and a few other Fords. John, I have the Ford GT press kit you have, along with the spinner replica paper weight. I believe my spinner is the first of the two versions. The one I have says GT40, the later ones say Ford GT (I believe). I also have a second Ford GT press kit. The neat part about it is that on one side it has the new Ford GT and when you flip it over, it has the cover from the original Ford GT40 press kit. Inside there are press photos from both new and old. Very cool !

Long before I started collecting every Mustang thing, I was stopping in and picking up retail Mustang brochures at the dealerships. Unfortunately that was only in the mid '80's. But since then, I have managed to pick up all the early Mustang and Shelby brochures. Here's a few of them ....

MustangGarageJune2006051.jpg

MustangGarageJune2006052.jpg

MustangGarageJune2006053.jpg

MustangGarageJune2006050.jpg

You mentioned a "european" brochure you have on the Viper. I have a few really interesting Mustang brochures. I have the '97 and '98 Japanese Mustang brochures. I also have a great '98 Japanese SVT Mustang Cobra brochure. A few years later, I was able to get some Mustang brochures from Saudi Arabia. It's really something to see the brochures printed in Arabic. One of the neatest Press Kits I have is from the 2001 Japan International Auto Show. It has the "Mustang Bullitt" in it.

So let's hear what interesting items you have all collected !

Scott

scott, those dealrship displays are awsome..... bet you couldn't talk your way into one of them these days....LOL

unless you know someone....

I would bet you are right Gene. Things have gotten tougher and tougher to get over the past 10 years.

A not so funny story about the two sided Showroom 90's display (red '94 SVT Cobra insert). I had been after a dealer to get rid of it and finally got a call to come pick it up. In fact, they had a couple of them they were going to give me. Well I showed up in my almost brand new '95 Ford F150 to pick it up. The salesman was helping me carry the first display out and when he saw my new F150. He asked me when and where I bought it. When I told him it was from another dealership, he got pissed and said to take the one display and that was all I could have. I don't think he would have even given the one to me if had seen my truck first. Sad part is that I later learned that he tossed out the other displays rather than give them to me. So they ended up in a land fill. What a waste !

The four sided Showroom 90's display and the flip card Showroom 90's display came out of a dealership that was building a new building. The sales manager said I could have the displays, so I drove an hour one way and picked them up. About a year later I was introduced to the owner of the dealership at a car show. I told him how much I appreciated getting the displays and he kind of laughed. He said if he would have known that his sales manager was going to give them away, he would have stopped him from doing so. I guess I was lucky he didn't ask for them back.

So I guess the lesson is that it pays to ask for something and if they say you can have it, grab it and run for the hills. LOL !

Scott

Scott I love seeing the older/vintage pieces. I do have the 'Styling X' brochure (circa 1963?) that features the Mustang II concept, Allegro and Cougar II. I need to locate my '79 Pace Car press kit....I know I have it around here....somewhere...

I don't have the "Styling X" brochure with the Mustang II. I'll have to ask my friend who deals in literature if he has an extra one. I would love to have one to go with the '62 Mustang I concept brochure I have. A friend of mine stopped in for a visit yesterday. He has a low mileage '79 Mustang Indy Pace Car that he bought back around '94 or so. I have a lot of '79 Indy Pace Car literature and memorabilia, but the stuff he has makes me drool. It's the hunt for the oddball literature, memorabilia, or any item that makes it so fun. When I was out there hunting at all the dealerships, I could never get enough stuff. Back in the day, I had extras of most everything. I passed along a lot of it to my friends and on occasion, I would trade it or even sell something to get other things I wanted. Plus having my contacts within Ford helped a great deal. At one point in time, I knew most of the guys at SVT HQ on a first name basis. I even visited SVT HQ twice. They had all they could do to keep me out of the back room where all the "goodies" were kept.

Scott

I would bet you are right Gene. Things have gotten tougher and tougher to get over the past 10 years.

A not so funny story about the two sided Showroom 90's display (red '94 SVT Cobra insert). I had been after a dealer to get rid of it and finally got a call to come pick it up. In fact, they had a couple of them they were going to give me. Well I showed up in my almost brand new '95 Ford F150 to pick it up. The salesman was helping me carry the first display out and when he saw my new F150. He asked me when and where I bought it. When I told him it was from another dealership, he got pissed and said to take the one display and that was all I could have. I don't think he would have even given the one to me if had seen my truck first. Sad part is that I later learned that he tossed out the other displays rather than give them to me. So they ended up in a land fill. What a waste !

The four sided Showroom 90's display and the flip card Showroom 90's display came out of a dealership that was building a new building. The sales manager said I could have the displays, so I drove an hour one way and picked them up. About a year later I was introduced to the owner of the dealership at a car show. I told him how much I appreciated getting the displays and he kind of laughed. He said if he would have known that his sales manager was going to give them away, he would have stopped him from doing so. I guess I was lucky he didn't ask for them back.

So I guess the lesson is that it pays to ask for something and if they say you can have it, grab it and run for the hills. LOL !

Scott

wow.... that is crazy and what a p***k. LOL and man you got lucky yes.. that is an awsome story though....

i love the 1994 cobra display. seeing how i just aquired a 1994 cobra. if you ever want to part with it let me know..LOL

Scott...you are the ultimate mustang collector. :worship:

I have a hard enough time chasing the annual mustang brochure and color charts. A few years back, the local dealer (salesperson) told me they were no longer making them. About a year or so later I had to bring my '98 SVT in for service and they had brochures and color charts displayed in the service waiting room. I was lucky to get the previous year where I left off and found 2- 3 years of previous color charts in there as well.

I have every year mustang brochure back to around '74 then there are a missing in years prior. My Ford color charts date back to '93 with a few select late 60's years. I never see them for sale at any car shows /swap meets. I've got a 4 or 5 SVT sales sheets and only 3 or 4 years of brochures, all U.S. versions. I found that you really had to be a pest to get the SVT brochures here in NJ. Most dealers would only give them out to someone buying a car. The salemanager would save one for me but when he left...so did my chances of getting future years.

I was lucky enough to get a press kit of the '79 pace car from a co-worker friend about 8 years ago.

Some of the display stands were offered for sale at Rice & Holman Ford in the Service dept during he 90's and early 00's. They were never cheap but always seemed to disappear quickly.

I can't recall any special items for '98. Were there any that you know of? I only have the poster beyond the brochure and sales sheet.

Rich

Do you have the '02 New York Ford press kit? It's a blue expandable folder with original art of the '03 Mach 1, Interceptor and a few other featured Ford vehicles, as well as a CD with lots of photos. You see them turn up for sale very rarely, while a lot of times there are advertisements for what is actually just the printed press release for the Mach 1.

29NYpresskit.JPG

Do you have the '02 New York Ford press kit? It's a blue expandable folder with original art of the '03 Mach 1, Interceptor and a few other featured Ford vehicles, as well as a CD with lots of photos. You see them turn up for sale very rarely, while a lot of times there are advertisements for what is actually just the printed press release for the Mach 1.

29NYpresskit.JPG

YUP ... I do have it The company I worked for at the time of this show, had a few "handicap equipped" vehicles on display at the NY Auto Show. So one of my co-workers who attended the show talked the guys at Ford out of one of the press kits. I was very happy to get it. I keep an eye on Ford/Mustang press kits on ePay and you are correct, they don't show up all that often.

I'll try and get some photos this weekend of some of my more unusual / rare literature items and post them for you to see.

Rich, I will see what photos I can get of my '98 SVT items and let you know what you might want to be on the lookout for.

Have a great night all.

Scott

Hi All,

Thought you might like to see the latest addition to my collection. I took my Expedition in for some service work today and the sales manager walks up and hands me this.

FordPlaque.jpg

He tells me they don't need this anymore and asks if I want it ? YOU BET ! While not Mustang specific, it is a nice Ford dealership piece. They really take care of me at my dealership ! Now the hard part is going to be finding an open space on the wall in the garage to hang it. LOL !

Take care and have a great Friday night.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a shot of the Styling X brochure as well as a shot of some of my 'wallpaper'...stylingx2.JPGmustangartwork.JPG

Also managed to get both sizes of the M2 white/blue/gold trimmed chase cars as well. m2chase1.JPG

nice m-2's i searched so many wal-marts for the 1:64 gold trim chase car and found zero... now amazingly enough i didn't put a quarter of the time in searching the 1:24

scale and have found 3 gold chase cars. crazy enough. now i see on ebay a 1:24 raw chase piece. wow and only 89 made who gets so lucky to get one of those......

I used to collect a bunch of SVT stuff as it came out but gave it away to those in our Mustang clubs who had more recently purchased the older SVT models. The favorite challenge give away was copies of the flyer for the 2000 Cobra! It took a contest to guess why it was a wierd brochure and only a couple newbies figured it out to win the prizes. I have only retained the Coletti signature items that were given by him to me personally.

It sure is amazing how much SVT stuff has been produced when you open up all the boxes!

B)

• 2 weeks later...

As far as SVT I only have the 03 Cobra and 2000 Cobra R literature, but for the past 20 yrs or so I have gone to the dealer and gotten a Mustang brochure each year. I have other brands from the 70's, funny to read through them, especially the good ones like the Vega and Citation.

• 2 weeks later...