TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is 2014 going to be the last year?

13shelbygt500

The 2014 Shelby will be the last GT500 whose architecture Carroll had direct involvement with...

+1,000,000

I hope the Shelby GT500 continues to be produced, but it is true, Carroll had his " hands all over this car "

A little curious to see what the new Mustang platform will look like in a GT500.

In any event, I am sure that SA will continue to satisfy our need for speed and HP for many years to come.

Even if it is an ecco-boost with twin turbos.

I can't see Ford dumping the most powerful production engine ever built with no gas guzzler tax after a couple of years.

EPA standards are being tightend up for 2015 (I think I have the year right) and every 3 or 5 years after. They will be so stringent in the future that eventually, petro burning cars will be a thing of the past. So yes, I strongly believe Ford wiill be dumping the most powerful production engine ever built (BY FORD!) after a couple of years. They're continuance in the auto industry depends on it.

Hell, Harley-Davidson is going to (HAVE TO) go with a water-cooled V-Twin and trash the old tried and true 45 degree odd-fire air-cooled motor they've been using since their inception in 1906.

So YES, I see the 5.4/8 going by the wayside for a smaller displacement and physical size engine. Maybe they'll use in in a truck (a 662 Raptor would be TITS!) but it's not going to be used in any car they make. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards will allow them to use them on a limited basis but I'm not too sure how the EPA standards for truck are factored into the mix.

Phill

Did you see the prototype Cobra Jet with a twin turbo 5.0L Coyote engine in it, pushing something like 650HP?

I wouldn't bet on the the HP rating being significantly lowered....If lowered at all.

I was told that when Shelby died, so would the Shelby/Ford relationship and that no more SHELBY GT500's would be made. That's not to say Ford won't make a Cobra and Shelby American won't 'upfit' them (much like the Super Snake program) into a "SHELBY GT500", or a "SHELBY GT500 Super Snake". Shelby owns the GT500 (& GT350) moniker & Ford owns the Cobra moniker so that would make sense for both parties. It would allow Ford to make a Cobra yet still give Shelby American a avenue to sell upgraded cars and more specifically, GT500's (and GT350's) and Super Snakes.

Either way, tt should be very interesting at the least and I wouldn't bet on the horsepower war being over with...not just yet.

Phill

imagejpeg_0_zps9325e7d5.jpg

If you mean will Shelby American make one, likely yes. Shelby American and SVT are not the same, and certainly Shelby American will produce something on the new platform. What other option do they have? There are no plans to build a "Shelby" car built by SVT in 2015 at this time.

that's basically what they told me when I did the Shelby Factory tour in Vegas last month. the current svt/shelby partnership will end and Shelby will build an aftermarket GT500 program similar to the current supersnake process.

EPA standards are being tightend up for 2015 (I think I have the year right) and every 3 or 5 years after. They will be so stringent in the future that eventually, petro burning cars will be a thing of the past. So yes, I strongly believe Ford wiill be dumping the most powerful production engine ever built (BY FORD!) after a couple of years. They're continuance in the auto industry depends on it.

Hell, Harley-Davidson is going to (HAVE TO) go with a water-cooled V-Twin and trash the old tried and true 45 degree odd-fire air-cooled motor they've been using since their inception in 1906.

So YES, I see the 5.4/8 going by the wayside for a smaller displacement and physical size engine. Maybe they'll use in in a truck (a 662 Raptor would be TITS!) but it's not going to be used in any car they make. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards will allow them to use them on a limited basis but I'm not too sure how the EPA standards for truck are factored into the mix.

Phill

By 2025 the CAFE for automobiles is required to be 54.5 MPG. This goes up incrementally over the next 13 years. Right now it is at 29 MPG and in 2016 it will be 35.5 MPG. The car companies can also get credits towards this average. There are also groupings of vehichles. But the basics are if they sell 4000 vehicles that get 25 MPG in 2025 they will have to sell 4000 that get 83 MPG or 8000 that get 68.5 MPG or 16000 that get 61.25 MPG Etc. As to the trucks they have a differnt set of rules. So it is still possible to see huge HP numbers on a nitch vehicle such as the GT500. It would make a small hiccup in their fleet average. Plus they will review the CAFE in 2020 to see if it needs to be revised if the car companies are struggling to meet this figure.

Below is from the New York Times:

For the most part, automakers will have to accelerate their efforts to improve mileage by reducing the weight of vehicles, using more aerodynamic designs and decreasing engine size without sacrificing power.

“The vast majority of vehicles will be more efficient without using electric or hybrid powertrains,” said Daniel F. Becker, director of the Safe Climate Campaign, a Washington-based environmental advocacy group. “These cars won’t look any different than today unless you check under the hood.”

Even if the 54.5 m.p.g. goal is reached, most cars and trucks will get lower mileage in real-life driving. Credits for air-conditioning units in vehicles will reduce the average mileage to about 49 m.p.g., and actual driving conditions could reduce it further.

If you want to know how it really is applied check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Average_Fuel_Economy

Since this is the last Shelby GT500 that Shelby had hands on with; should i leave it stock or modify it?

Great Question, My 2013 is on the way and Im thinking the same thing.

I believe I will do minor mods like Airaid filter, hood struts and stuff like that but Im not gonna modify engine or drive train further.

I was leaning toward going 3.55 on the gearing, but will see after I drive it awhile.

Phill

It's worth noting that those EPA standards are set forth by unelected bureaucrats selected by the executive branch of our government (as are other standards and regulations by the other various regulatory agencies). These people are selected for their respective roles at the whim and pleasure of the president of the United States.

Although they may serve some useful function (as in the case of the FDA and the USDA), all of these regulatory agencies were and are a means of elected officials shirking their accountability to their constituents. Joe Congressman didn't vote for banning the 100-watt incandescent light bulb -- the EPA or the DOE did it. Joe Congressman wouldn't dare ban, say, high-performance vehicles or SUVs or pickup trucks or minivans that don't meet certain mileage requirements no more than he would require, say, a start-up manufacturer to conduct an environmental-impact study as merely the first of many regulatory steps before hiring people and going into business. Nope, Joe Congressman didn't do it; it was the faceless bureaucrats who imposed those regulations and requirements.

And those faceless, unelected, and unaccountable bureaucrats CAN and WILL change the standards that regulate our freedom at any time, and in any way they so choose.

I used the phrase "set forth," but this is a nice way of saying "dictate," and dictating is exactly what the EPA is doing when it sets its CAFE standards. Does the EPA conduct public hearings on the matter? As in, does it really care what the people want? Does it solicit input from the auto industry itself? Perhaps, but again, does the EPA really care what the people want? Democratic principles would suggest that it would, but democratic principles do not apply when it comes to the assorted agencies that govern our lives.

The noun form of dictate is "dictatorship," which is just another word for tyranny. And tyranny perfectly describes a situation where UNELECTED officials dictate what the people can and can't do -- and what manufacturers can and can't provide what the people want, and what the people can and can't purchase.

Which is precisely why, when I saw the videos and read the reviews of the 2013 Shelby GT500, I not only thought – I knew – that this was my last chance – THE last chance – to purchase and own one of the great muscle cars of all time. Time is short, I reasoned. I have the financial wherewithal, so I pulled the trigger – it’s now or never.

Once I get the car, I guess I need to worry about whether the EPA bans high-octane gas. (And they could actually do that.) Well, shit. . . .

RickW,

Don't forget the liberal Judicial Branch justices that help provide cover to these agencies, and in so doing, give credence to regulatory policy (versus elected representative legislation) that has the force of law. We're all screwed!

By 2025 the CAFE for automobiles is required to be 54.5 MPG. This goes up incrementally over the next 13 years. Right now it is at 29 MPG and in 2016 it will be 35.5 MPG. The car companies can also get credits towards this average. There are also groupings of vehichles. But the basics are if they sell 4000 vehicles that get 25 MPG in 2025 they will have to sell 4000 that get 83 MPG or 8000 that get 68.5 MPG or 16000 that get 61.25 MPG Etc. As to the trucks they have a differnt set of rules. So it is still possible to see huge HP numbers on a nitch vehicle such as the GT500. It would make a small hiccup in their fleet average. Plus they will review the CAFE in 2020 to see if it needs to be revised if the car companies are struggling to meet this figure.

Below is from the New York Times:

For the most part, automakers will have to accelerate their efforts to improve mileage by reducing the weight of vehicles, using more aerodynamic designs and decreasing engine size without sacrificing power.

“The vast majority of vehicles will be more efficient without using electric or hybrid powertrains,” said Daniel F. Becker, director of the Safe Climate Campaign, a Washington-based environmental advocacy group. “These cars won’t look any different than today unless you check under the hood.”

Even if the 54.5 m.p.g. goal is reached, most cars and trucks will get lower mileage in real-life driving. Credits for air-conditioning units in vehicles will reduce the average mileage to about 49 m.p.g., and actual driving conditions could reduce it further.

If you want to know how it really is applied check this out:

http://en.wikipedia....ge_Fuel_Economy

You are only taking CAFE standards into consideration and forgetting or ignoring EPA standards.

2015 EPA standards were set three Presidents back IIRC and those are the standards that (In My Opinion) will cause the 5.4/8L SC Mod motor to die a certain death (other than in a niche vehicle like a Raptor).

Phill

You are only taking CAFE standards into consideration and forgetting or ignoring EPA standards.

2015 EPA standards were set three Presidents back IIRC and those are the standards that (In My Opinion) will cause the 5.4/8L SC Mod motor to die a certain death (other than in a niche vehicle like a Raptor).

Phill

You are right, never gave EPA a thought. Have to remember that the government comes at you from all angles. You block them in the front and they hit you in the rear. :banghead:

Archived