TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best fix for falling rear window

Apologize if this topic has already been covered. I noticed the other day that my rear window has begun to separate from the convertible top and I wanted to see what others who have already dealt with this have found to be the most effective fix. Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Paul

Sorry to hear of your problem. Now I am worried of what I will find when I check my rear window. First I would try Ford ( good luck with that...right) then an upholstery shop that deals with convertibles. I hope that I won't have to deal with either. Check the treads here, a gentileman had your same issue. I wasn't exactly clear on how he solved his situation but I'm sure he or others can shed some light to help you. Good luck and keep us posted.

I know of one that happened, and he had to have the whole top replaced at a cost of about $2,500 at a local shop. I guess its a matter of time before they all fall off, mine is starting to come loose in a small area.

Uphosletry guys won't repair, estimates running betweem $1200-$1500 to rpelace. Have found a coupe of repair options on some of the Mustang forums and will explore those options and pick what I feel will be most effective. Figure I don't have anything to lose! Will report back when I have done the DIY fix.

• 2 months later...

The Fix Is In!!!

Finally found an auto upholstery guy that was willing to fix the top. Since I wasn't comfortable doing the fix myself, I was willing to search for someone who would repair a perfectly good top. Terry Brothers in Atlantic Beach, for you North Florida Shelby owners, did the repair for $120. He did a great job and told me what I already knew and no other shop would admit, my top is fine and has years of life, especially given that it's a weekend fair weather driver. Nice to know that there are still some old school guys left that will fix what needs to be fixed without sticking you with a larger bill than is neccesssary. The savings enabled me to treat the car to a new set of Nitto 555s! For anyone else with this notorious top issue, there is a fix that will save you in excess of $1000.

He used a windshield epoxy to secure the window back to the top. It's a fix he's had tremendous success with as this is a common problem with later year vettes and Audis. I don't know the specifics of how he did the repair, I just know that it worked and saved me a chunk of cash :)

Archived