TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What to do when your PCM is Reflashed

shelbypt

On this forum, I've heard guys warn about taking your KR in to Ford, that a mechanic may reflash your PCM. I've also heard some say not to worry about that because the mechanics know not to do that to a KR. Well!! While taking my KR into Ford to have them look at my clutch for a possible TSB replacement, they decided that the clutch was alright and it didn't meet the criteria for a TSB replacement. "BUT, we reflashed your PCM!!! YIKES!!! I nearly passed out. In the end, the manager of service at this SVT dealership said that she could not get the KR tune. That they would have to take the PCM out and send it to FRPP. I called FRPP and after paying $150, they sent me the tune for my KR. I slid the flash card into the ProCal II tuner and my original KR tune is back in. On a side note, these tunes from FRPP are not Vin specific, they are year specific.

Rule #1 If you take the KR in cover and put a big sign on the PCM port. Do Not Re-Flash!! This is a KR...

Rule #2 If you have a TVS installed, you most likely have a TVS FRPP tune or an aftermarket tune. Return your car to stock before taking it in. Then you won't have to send your tuner back in to have it unlocked. That is typically a $150 charge, but if Ford reflashes your PCM, SCT will unlock the tuner for $75.

Rule #3 - Don't forget rule #1 :hysterical2:

I have a cover for the PCM port from Steeda that is red and states "!!!DO NOT FLASH!!!

Steeda sent it to me for free when I ordered my SCT-X3 from them, but I think you can buy one for a few bucks...might be worth it.

Here is the link to what they sent me.

http://www.steeda.com/store/billet-obd-port-cover.html

Andy.

I don't take my car to the dealer for repairs, because I know from years past they are scew ups I have a good private shop that can do any work that is needed. And here is a good example of that, the local Ford dealer calls my shop when they have a problem they can,t solve.

I have a cover for the PCM port from Steeda that is red and states "!!!DO NOT FLASH!!!

Steeda sent it to me for free when I ordered my SCT-X3 from them, but I think you can buy one for a few bucks...might be worth it.

Here is the link to what they sent me.

http://www.steeda.co...port-cover.html

Andy.

Great Idea! I'll get one of these, thanks.

If the dealer messed up a factory KR tune they should put it back. period.

I would take the receipt from Ford Racing for $150 to the offending dealer and demand restitution. If they refuse, write a letter of demand (required by law prior to litigation) and immediately file a claim for it and all other associated hard costs in Small Claims Court.

You WILL win. No two ways about it. THEY messed up and THEY cost you $150.00 and the judge WILL agree with that.

Phill

I would take the receipt from Ford Racing for $150 to the offending dealer and demand restitution. If they refuse, write a letter of demand (required by law prior to litigation) and immediately file a claim for it and all other associated hard costs in Small Claims Court.

You WILL win. No two ways about it. THEY messed up and THEY cost you $150.00 and the judge WILL agree with that.

Phill

I will give them the bill for the KR tune. The service supervisor apologized profusely about what had happened. They are going to do the TSB and I'm sure they will pay for the Tune.

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU CAME OUT AHEAD. IF THEY HADN'T REFLASHED YOUR PCM, YOUI WOULDN'T NOW BE GETTING THE TSB CLUTCH WHICH YOU WILL LOVE. AND I'M SURE YOU WILL GET THE $150. IF THE DEALERSHIP BALKS, JUST HAVE THEM GIVE YOU A CREDIT FOR 2 FUTURE OIL CHANGES. THEY'RE $75.OO AT LEAST AND THEY SHOULD BE GLAD TO DO THAT AND KEEP YOU AS A CUSTOMER RETURNING FOR SERVICE. DON'T KNOW WHY THIS COMPUTER IS UNDERLINING EVERYTHING.

SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU CAME OUT AHEAD. IF THEY HADN'T REFLASHED YOUR PCM, YOUI WOULDN'T NOW BE GETTING THE TSB CLUTCH WHICH YOU WILL LOVE. AND I'M SURE YOU WILL GET THE $150. IF THE DEALERSHIP BALKS, JUST HAVE THEM GIVE YOU A CREDIT FOR 2 FUTURE OIL CHANGES. THEY'RE $75.OO AT LEAST AND THEY SHOULD BE GLAD TO DO THAT AND KEEP YOU AS A CUSTOMER RETURNING FOR SERVICE. DON'T KNOW WHY THIS COMPUTER IS UNDERLINING EVERYTHING.

You have the "U" button clicked at the top of your toolbar. Theres a "B" (Bold), a "I" (Italics) then the "U" (Underline) and the "S" (Strike).

Unclick the U button or you will get text like this!

EDIT: You can go back and "edit" your post by highlighting your underlined text then unclicking the Underline button (see my quoted text of yours). You also have your CAPS LOCK button "on" which with Netiquette implys "SCREAMING!"

HTH,

Phill

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but how would you known the PCM was reflashed? Does the KR sound totally different, less performance?? I got an oil change today and you guys got me a little uneasy. :waiting:

Drive your car easy for awhile, but within a mile, you would get an engine light. Upon looking at the DCT code, you would see that the engine is running too lean. If you see this and then open it up, you will lose your engine pretty fast.

Drive your car easy for awhile, but within a mile, you would get an engine light. Upon looking at the DCT code, you would see that the engine is running too lean. If you see this and then open it up, you will lose your engine pretty fast.

Shelbypt, thank you for the information!

Archived