TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Proud owner of a "NEW" Grabber Blue GT500!

mustang nick

I just wanted to share my experiance today. I traded in my 2010 Grabber Blue GT500 for a 2013 Grabber Blue GT500. The process took a couple of hours and got started at 10 am. After looking over every inch of vehicle to be sure it was in great condition before I took ownership, I felt a little bad for trading in my 2010. Well, once I felt the torque and listened to the glorious, deep throated growl. That all changed. I only drove it about 120 miles today BUT man, it is a BEAST! I could not stop smiling listening to sound coming out of the quad exhaust. The car has soooooo much more torque. It is begging for more throttle. I cannot wait to open her up. I have to say that this is what I expected from my 530 hp steel block. I always told everyone my 2010 car is very fast but it was not scary. I do not know what to expect from my 2013 when I really get into it but all I can say is Dr. Jekyll meets Mr. Hyde......I feel like it is an animalistic beast lurking in the engine. 25% more horses makes all the differance in the world. It looks simular but it definitely feels like a totally different Shelby. Unbelievably differnet. I really feel like I own a BEAST now! Could not be more happy with the urgrade.

Just wanted to know at what point can the car be driven with spirit? I was told 1000 miles for break in period? Any input would be appreciated......

I just wanted to share my experiance today. I traded in my 2010 Grabber Blue GT500 for a 2013 Grabber Blue GT500. The process took a couple of hours and got started at 10 am. After looking over every inch of vehicle to be sure it was in great condition before I took ownership, I felt a little bad for trading in my 2010. Well, once I felt the torque and listened to the glorious, deep throated growl. That all changed. I only drove it about 120 miles today BUT man, it is a BEAST! I could not stop smiling listening to sound coming out of the quad exhaust. The car has soooooo much more torque. It is begging for more throttle. I cannot wait to open her up. I have to say that this is what I expected from my 530 hp steel block. I always told everyone my 2010 car is very fast but it was not scary. I do not know what to expect from my 2013 when I really get into it but all I can say is Dr. Jekyll meets Mr. Hyde......I feel like it is an animalistic beast lurking in the engine. 25% more horses makes all the differance in the world. It looks simular but it definitely feels like a totally different Shelby. Unbelievably differnet. I really feel like I own a BEAST now! Could not be more happy with the urgrade.

Just wanted to know at what point can the car be driven with spirit? I was told 1000 miles for break in period? Any input would be appreciated......

Congrats Nick..enjoy and keep the rubber side down.

1000 mile break in is not necessary. I have not read the 2013 owners manual to see if it has a suggestion. A lot of the forum members have been suggesting 300 miles.

What do you think of the clutch release point compared to your 2010 and all the new high tech electronics?

Was going to welcome you to the GB club, but I see you were here first... :D

Congrats. It is an amazing experience. Stick with what the owners manual recommends on break-in period (don't remember it off the top of my head). I did my breakin on a 700 mile road trip.

From the 2014 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement V2 Page 11:

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

1000 mile break in is not necessary. I have not read the 2013 owners manual to see if it has a suggestion. A lot of the forum members have been suggesting 300 miles.

What do you think of the clutch release point compared to your 2010 and all the new high tech electronics?

I am getting used to clutch point release. It is very high compared to 2010. I can get used to that :) I have not experianced all the new high tech things yet until I break in but love the fact that there is sooo much to learn about electronics. Cannot wait to use the tree to trak 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc......The car is awesome man! Like I said it commands your respect with all the torque. It feels special. I am blessed to be able to and afford make the trade-in. Thank God for Caroll Shelby. The SVT team did a great job with him before his passing. So far, Ithink I like the gearing too!?!?!? Time and miles will tell.

Near the top.

Congrats on the new car!

At the end of travel

Sorry, toward the top

Everybody keeps saying near the top; but, mine doesn't grab much higher than my '08 did. My clutch grabs about 1/2 way off the floor, at most. Definitely not near the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody keeps saying near the top; but, mine doesn't grab much higher than my '08 did. My clutch grabs about 1/2 way off the floor, at most. Definitely not near the top.

I just put on about 80 miles today (gorgeous 50 degree weather) and it may not grab at end of travel near the top but I do not believe it is half way off the floor either BCPD199. It may lie somewhere in between half way off the floor and three quarters up (definitely higher than MY 2010). Nonetheless, the car is an absolute joy to drive. I had two guys pull up next to me after being on 695 with me and tell me how good the car sounded and how much they liked the Grabber Blue. They both were driving imports ( a 5 series BMW and an Infiniti sport coupe). SVT did a magnificent job tuning the sound coming out of the quad exaust! Love 2000-3000 RPM's in third gear. Great tone coming out of those pipes!

I have smilelitis :). The car is a very nice cruiser man. It rides very smoothly...... Driving at 75-80 miles per hour is effortless and can easily get you in trouble without even trying. Can anyone who broke their car in and has had an oppurtunity to open it up let me know what the experiance was like. I do not believe I am going to be able to get enough miles on it before the weather does not permit me to drive it unless we are blessed with some mild days like today.

I did try the 0-60 Trak App at a light. Gingerly went thru 3 gears without trying to get there fast just to see how the app worked and got a 0-60 in 6.3 seconds. Not an impressive time BUT without even trying it was almost as fast as my '88 GT :) The cool factor of app is very, very cool. Thumbs up. I really like Ford has done. I think it is a great product overall. I will keep everone posted (I guess in the spring) on what it is like to lay it down and give it all she has got. Until then, all feedback would be appreciated.....

oldandnew-1.jpg?t=1353909379photo1-2.png

Here are some pics of my "old and new" Shelbys......I really would like to hear some feedback from any owner that can share what it is like to drive their broken in 2013 compared to their old Shelby or any other performance vehicle. If their is another thread that shares their experiance, some direction would be appreciated. Cannot wait to drive it and go ALL OUT. It may be due to the cold weather (mid 50's) but with traction and launch control on it seems that traction may be a problem?

Congratulations!

My break-in took place on a 1500 mile road trip from Seattle (where I took delivery) to Colorado (home). I varied both speed and RPMs on the trip that was uneventful, aside from some inclement weather in eastern OR and western WY. Eastern WY provided several opportunities to open her up a bit, though not what I'd call "ALL OUT". I haven't had the tach above 5K RPM and have only taken her up to about 120 MPH. I look forward to stretching her legs a bit more in the warmer weather.

I've definitely found traction to be a concern. Like you, my driving (to date) has been at the low-end of the temperature scale for the tires. I suspect, however, getting 631 ft-lbs of torque to the pavement is going to be a challenge no matter what the weather conditions...

Mustang Nick: Congrats on the new car! Big difference between the 2010 Iron block and that nice, light, aluminum one! I traded my 2011 for the 13, and still noted a big difference. I have found you really can't plumb the full potential of this car on a public road. I've never experienced that before. It's simply too fast. I've had mine since August and it's a joy to drive. One note of caution. You have the summer only tires on your car so please understand that at temps even below 60 degrees, their rubber chemestry changes and they become hockey pucks. Most people complain of lack of "hook-up" ability, but forget to remember that the reduced adhesion is the bigger danger, I.E. stopping distances increase and cornering adhesion drops off as well. At 300 miles, I swapped out my stocks for a set of Toyo All Season tires, as I drive during the winter when the roads are clear and dry. Too many nice winter days here in Md. to not take advantage!! Enjoy your ride and be safe!

Mustang Nick: Congrats on the new car! Big difference between the 2010 Iron block and that nice, light, aluminum one! I traded my 2011 for the 13, and still noted a big difference. I have found you really can't plumb the full potential of this car on a public road. I've never experienced that before. It's simply too fast. I've had mine since August and it's a joy to drive. One note of caution. You have the summer only tires on your car so please understand that at temps even below 60 degrees, their rubber chemestry changes and they become hockey pucks. Most people complain of lack of "hook-up" ability, but forget to remember that the reduced adhesion is the bigger danger, I.E. stopping distances increase and cornering adhesion drops off as well. At 300 miles, I swapped out my stocks for a set of Toyo All Season tires, as I drive during the winter when the roads are clear and dry. Too many nice winter days here in Md. to not take advantage!! Enjoy your ride and be safe!

Great points, all of which track with what I've experienced to date, though I remain surprised and impressed with how my car (and OE tires) handled the low temps and inclement weather I encountered driving her home from WA. At the risk of a thread-jack, may I ask which "Toyo All Season tires" you installed, in what sizes, and whether you're running them on stock rims? (While today isn't one of them, we have a lot of nice winter days here in CO as well...)

Where abouts are you in MD?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to know since the weather has finally improved if either 03reptile or palacekeeper wanted to meet up somewhere and go cruising. I am thinkimg about joining the Mustang Club of Maryland. I am really looking forward to opening up the throttle! I am at almost 700 miles. I am most certain I will not be waiting for 1000 miles

smart man for getting the king of all muscle cars from a company that didnt go bankrupt,FORD.now go and kill off that junk from Government Motors. :happy feet:

Archived