TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally the took the stripes off.

Well, the time has come that my stripes looked like total :censored: so I finally took them off. They may stay off for some time until I order the deep draw /Terlingua hood. Took me about a day to completely take them off. These stripes were 5 years old and the FL sun has really gotten to them.

I have used this gel like substance that made the job a bit easier, this thing works wonders. It is graphix off. Just be careful on letting it sit too long on the bumpers, I have found out the hard way, it actually ate through my clear on one tiny spot not noticeable to but it happened (mind you this is on a repainted bumper so I think the clear just sucked anyway because the rear bumeper is perfect).

Anyway here are some pics/vids.

Roof Stripes

D65C9293-2972-4E90-9923-C6F56B4B56F3-4509-00000338816F1A58.jpg

B34F9C2E-AE2B-49D0-9BA0-CDF62EAD6262-4509-00000338794AD5EF.jpg

After 45 mins or so the gel will look like this and the stripes are ready to be removed...

3E3CBB34-F608-4C6F-85C6-DD9DC346BD07-4509-00000337B417C1E6.jpg

6548CFC9-BC0A-48E8-9CCF-BEB364C849F5-4509-00000337A90E9474.jpg

F6328559-776B-4D70-BFC0-801CC1BCD036-4509-0000033888A3F7C5.jpg

Just click on the picture below and it will play a small video clip so you can see how easy these stripes come off.

th_071E3325-11B6-4E5B-A169-40E1B4E94E54-4509-0000033A3F88FEAD.jpg

Just curious why you did not go with a heat gun for removal? I have this feeling that all of us, sooner or later, will be in your shoes so I need to collect information about the best way to do it. Although mine stays in a garage, I have noticed the beginnings of deterioration.

Jim

So this stuff is good at removing the vinyl, but not the glue? What did you use for that?

Also, what is the brand name - I did a search for "graphix off" and found nothing!

Eventually I'll need to replace mine, but rather than paint (unless I find a good deal) I might try "Flex Paint" that John Farmer mentioned. Literally, paint on vinyl.

Sam

Just curious why you did not go with a heat gun for removal? I have this feeling that all of us, sooner or later, will be in your shoes so I need to collect information about the best way to do it. Although mine stays in a garage, I have noticed the beginnings of deterioration.

I was not able to use a heat gun on my stripes because the stripes were cracking in pieces already(except for the hood stripes), the roof and bumpers were actually shrinking if you look at the pics above you can see where they once were and how they got smaller in width. If your stripes are still in one piece you can go with the heat gun route but one they crack in into smaller pieces supposedly this is the only way to go according to a vinyl installer/removal. They charge $200 to remove stripes and to do a "mediocre" wax job. So I had to really pry out of the person what they use and the product is graphx off by auto trim design.

the website is

http://www.autotrimd...emover_GROG.asp

Jim

So this stuff is good at removing the vinyl, but not the glue? What did you use for that?

Also, what is the brand name - I did a search for "graphix off" and found nothing!

Eventually I'll need to replace mine, but rather than paint (unless I find a good deal) I might try "Flex Paint" that John Farmer mentioned. Literally, paint on vinyl.

Sam

I used goof off carefully to remove the glue that was left and washed the car very well, clayed it, and waxed it. One thing that I will have to say is to do one piece at a time and remove the glue as soon as possible after removing the stripes(it makes the glue removal easier).

Fordrocks1, I tried to send you a pm but it wouldn't let me. So anyway.

Where did you get the graphix off sticker remover. I need to remove my stripes and that stuff would help a lot.

CSshelbykid

Here ya go.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/GraphXOff_Vinyl_Adhesive_Paint_Remover_GROG.asp

They also have a Facebook page where they will answer questions pretty fast. The 16 ounce bottle was enough to do the whole vehicle. Again, just be very careful on the bumper areas and do not let it sit too long, the minute you see the wrinkles it is ready to be taken off.

I had my silver stripes repainted at the beginning of the summer, it was not cheap, but well worth it in the end. Best thing I have done to the car. The silver paint really pops in the sunlight!

That is the route I will take eventually, looks great.

Mind sharing how much it cost and did you do the side stripes also?

Thank you

I had my silver stripes repainted at the beginning of the summer, it was not cheap, but well worth it in the end. Best thing I have done to the car. The silver paint really pops in the sunlight!

I had my stripes painted on when I added the deep draw hood too.

night and day difference...........wet sanded and buried in clear......totally seamless......

rain and water spots issues no longer of any concern.........oh what a relief it is!

Thanks for the compliments, much apprecaited. The cost was about $2500 to paint the hood, roof, and trunk, along with both bumpers. I did not do the sides, as the vinyl still looks brand new, no issues at all. In addtion, the cost to paint the sides is much higher, as you can imagine. For this price, the shop also fixed my hood scoop (which was starting to warp slightly), fixed the electolysis damage caused by the stupid stainless steel billet screws on the AL hood, as well as a few minor scratches elsewhere.

Now, the painted stripes have absolutely no ridge or bump relative to the black surfaces. I wish I could remeber the type of clear coat that they used, but in any case it was a higher-end clear. The shop said he would not even consider using the "everday" clear on this type of car.

Words cannot even describe how smooth the surfaces are now, not only the silver parts, but the black as well. New cars off the showroom floor do not have surfaces as smoothe as this. The car really looks brand new, better than new. They guys did an unbelievable job, really exceeded my expectations. The vinyl was a sour point for me since I bought the car in 2011, had rain spots on every horizontal surface. I Tried many fixes like everybody else, but nothing worked good enough.

In any case, it's allot of $$ to do the work, but if you plan on keeping your car long-term, find a good higher-end shop and have the stripes painted.

• 2 weeks later...

i also paid a for dealer to paint my stripes on

2500 was the same thing i paid.

i had the stripes painted fromt to back, added the spoiler( they painted ) and they painted and installed the SHR quarter window inserts.

and had the "pit stripes" painted on both sides.

side stripes are still original.

best exterior mod EVER!

• 2 weeks later...

Shelby store had deep draw hood for 499 right before xmas. Not sure if it still is.

Hey bud, hope all is well, I did pick one of those deep draw hood. However, it will not be installed and painted until I move into my new house (closing sometime next month). Plus my toy funds are running low after purchasing a AR15 recently.

Archived