TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time to trade?

Shelbyville

I am considering trading my 2008 for a 2014. I would be very interested in hearing from people who have gone from a 2007/8/9 to a 2013. How different are they? Assuming you traded or sold the older car, how much did it end up costing you? Do you consider it money well spent?

Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

I had an '08 GT500 Vert. Daily driver, had 45,000 miles on her. That many miles later you get to know a vehicle pretty well. Traded her in on a '13 GT500 Vert. Paid just under MSRP and got $28,500 as a trade. To me, it was well worth it. And not so much for the power. The new one has gobs of power that you will never use. Unless you plan on tracking it - Road or Strip. I love the Recaro's, homelink for the garage doors (about time), the SVT Performance suspension and steering. The whole car just feels more buttoned down. For me, no regrets.

Moved from an 08 GT500 to 13 GT500...no regrets what so ever. The 13 I feel is improved in every way, trans, clutch, engine, fit and finish. The Hp and Torque are just amazing, 3rd gear can be scary fast

I find that this is the car I wished i had in High School. every bit as fun and exhilarating as driving a Porsche. Of course we still have the 08 GT500 in the family.

Is it worth it ? yes

I am considering trading my 2008 for a 2014. I would be very interested in hearing from people who have gone from a 2007/8/9 to a 2013. How different are they? Assuming you traded or sold the older car, how much did it end up costing you? Do you consider it money well spent?

Any opinions/thoughts appreciated.

Go for it IMO...this is the last of this body type and I also believe it's the top of the HP #'s in the GT500 you're going to see smaller displacement

from now on in.

Kept my 07 and got the 13.

No regrets. The 13 is amazing.

All of the extra creature comforts make it worth while.

Power, ride and comfort are a step up as well.

Well worth it all the way around.

+1 except mine is an 08. If it weren't a KR, I would have probably let it go just because the 13 is that much better all the way around. I do still like the old school looks of the 07-09 better, especially the KR, but the 13 is better in every other way IMO.

For me it's all about being able to afford it or not. If I can't pay cash for something, then it was not meant for me to have it. $65,000 is a lot of money and if you only get $28,000 for your 07' you are going to have to come up with the rest, plus tax and hire insurance rates. For the pleasure use that I use my car for, I can't see spending another $37K for the upgrades on the 2013. If I win the lottery....count me in.

I am currently saving up to buy a new SUV. My wife has been eyeballing a loaded 2013 Escape. I can buy at X plan and you get the customer incentives as well, so I think I can get a loaded one for about 28 to 29K plus about $2,500 in tax. Tana's been driving her 2007 Escape for 6 years now and it has been a super good 4 wheel drive SUV. I am hoping to have the cash raised in 2013. Getting close now.

Thanks guys!! These are exactly the responses I was hoping for, well, most of them. THANKS Grabber, now you're making me feel guilty for even thinking about it. :)

A quick question - the 351 in these cars - is that a Windsor or a Cleveland? :shades:

If my 07 wasn't paid for and I couldn't pay for cash for the 13, I would have never done it.

I told myself, my wife and dealer I bought from that it was a wanted luxury item and not a necessity.

If it worked out great, if not my 07 is just as much fun.

Personally, I hate car loans or leases. But then again, I don't particularly like todays banking industry at all to begin with.

Absolutely correct. We are talking about the purchase of a luxury, non-essential item here. It is amazing to read posts from guys who are in the market for a '13 or '14 and have only 5 or 6 grand to put down on the car. Recipie for disaster. I know people who are so burried in payment books that they can't pay cash for a bag of groceries and are 2 months late on their electric bill.

Yes so true and there are lots of people trading there cars in and they do not even have them paid off, in fact some are upside down in there cars and just roll that loss onto the new car loan. I just do not understand that logic. I can understand making car payments on a work vehicle or a family car that a family must have for transportation. Most of us have done that in our lives and it is a way to establish credit as a young man or women so one can buy a house later on in life. At some point a man has to live with in his means and not let the little head do the thinking for the big head.

+1 except mine is an 08. If it weren't a KR, I would have probably let it go just because the 13 is that much better all the way around. I do still like the old school looks of the 07-09 better, especially the KR, but the 13 is better in every other way IMO.

+2 I think the '07's - '09's are the best looking of the group. And the KR is in a class by itself. You gotta love that hood! But, like you said, the '13 is that much better all around.

If the majority of the country would practice this principle....we would not be in the financial mess that we are in.

+100

Absolutely correct. We are talking about the purchase of a luxury, non-essential item here. It is amazing to read posts from guys who are in the market for a '13 or '14 and have only 5 or 6 grand to put down on the car. Recipie for disaster. I know people who are so burried in payment books that they can't pay cash for a bag of groceries and are 2 months late on their electric bill.

but they roll in style to the foodbank in their Shleby

The "newer" Shelbys are definitely better in many ways, but I still love the raw/bare bones "feel" of my '09. Its kinda hard to explain, but the '09 feels like it has everything you need in a musclecar, and nothing you dont.....when the money difference is about $30k, the "classic" '07-'09 cars start looking even better....

The "newer" Shelbys are definitely better in many ways, but I still love the raw/bare bones "feel" of my '09. Its kinda hard to explain, but the '09 feels like it has everything you need in a musclecar, and nothing you dont.....when the money difference is about $30k, the "classic" '07-'09 cars start looking even better....

you hit the nail on the head !

• 2 weeks later...

Updates - My "guy" that gets me good deals on new vehicles says he can't do me any good on a GT500. (strike one) Went and looked at a new one at the dealership (a '13) and that rear end still just doesn't do it for me. The new tail lights help but that's only going to help after dark so it's something I probably will seldom, if ever, see. (strike two) And finally, ANYBODY FROM FORD ON HERE??!!! If so, can you please tell me how it is that you can get a power passenger seat on a $30,000. GT but CAN'T get it on a $70,000. GT500? Come on - really? My wife isn't super short (5-5) but she can not see over the dash when in the passenger seat. If she could have in the '13 it probably would have been a slam dunk. (strike three)

Unless something changes, looks like I will be sticking with my '08.

Archived