TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Had to get out and drive the '87, today!

They changed the forecast to 'nice' through till Thanksgiving! (Which means I'd better stock up on perishable items...) ;^)

Got out in the 64 1/2 Mustang yesterday, had to drive about an hour, to get a quart of Wimbledon White mixed for some touch up work. (The paint guy wanted to see the car to make sure the mix is as close as possible).

Took a little while to get her started, (been sitting about a month), but once she kicked in, she was fine the rest of the day!

'Floating' down the road on those bias ply tires is always a treat!

There is nothing more awesome than driving your car. The night that we sold the Mustang Carroll called me, and I told him I'd bought the Cobra. When I told him that I'd gotten it he said "You're going to drive it aren't you". I didn't hear it as much of a question as an order. I told him I was, and I did - almost 6000 miles in 2 years. The boss hated it and I replaced it with a Ford GT. I've already doubled the miles on it. And I don't care. I'm going to drive the snot out of it. Carroll told me so.

Drove the Shelby again today! Been told the turbo LOVES the cold weather....

Many years ago I bought a 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger. I needed a car for daily driver duties. I bought the S/C because it was cheap, economical, a Mopar, and it looked neat, but I wasn't overly attached to it

Then one cool fall evening I was driving up the Cochrane hill (a particularly long, steep incline. Notoriously tough on vehicles), the car LOVED the cold, dense air. I was in 5th gear and pulling away from other cars like they were standing still! The power felt limitless! Looking back on it now, I'm pretty sure that night was one of the defining moments that turned me into a "Shelby Dodge guy".

With rain/snow/mess in the forecast for tomorrow, and a crystal clear night tonight, took it out for a good, half hour/45 minutes. Either I'm imagining it, or i really CAN tell the difference in how it drives in the cold weather! Since I can't give an intelligent description why, it may just be that I'm imagining it! ;^)

With rain/snow/mess in the forecast for tomorrow, and a crystal clear night tonight, took it out for a good, half hour/45 minutes. Either I'm imagining it, or i really CAN tell the difference in how it drives in the cold weather! Since I can't give an intelligent description why, it may just be that I'm imagining it! ;^)

You're not imagining it. Colder outside air means more dense air. A natural intercooler if you will. The whole purpose of an Intercooler is to cool the compressed air. Any time air is compressed by a turbo or supercharger, heat is developed. The intercooler is there to lower the temp before it enters the cylinders for a more dense air charge and to help prevent pre detonation. So the cold winter air outside just helps even more :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Spin time today! (03/03/13)! Too much fun!! Good weather from here until the foreseeable future! Low 50's by NEXT weekend. (Possible mid-week storm now scheduled to MISS us)!

Mustang needs a new battery, as well as all the hoses replaced. Realized it hasn't been done in about 15 years...

Archived