TEAM SHELBY FORUM

California Tags on Old Shelbys with 013 number

Hertz705

I have noticed on many posters and in many books there are CA black tag shelbys with the numbers 013 on them.

I purchased a 66 Calif car that also had this black tag prefix MFG 013 on it. Can anyone tell me the signifiance of

this tag number.

Thanks

Hope this helps ..... Don

The California DMV in 1963 assigned manufacturer license plate number 013 to Shelby American Motors. Multiple sets of the yellow on black plates were issued. They were serialized beginning with 1A, 1B, 1C through 1X, 1Y, 1Z and continuing with 2A, 2B, 2C and so forth. These plates were put on Shelby built cars provided to executives, management personnel and writers who reviewed the cars and published their findings in auto related magazines. Shelby American Motors produced the last Shelby Mustang at the Los Angeles Airport facility in September 1969.

Thanks for the information on the tag. My prefix is 2E so I assume it is correct.

It also has a sticker in the upper right corner of the tag.

Thanks

How bout some pictures???

It should be pointed out that these "MFG 013" plates have been reproduced for years and were supplied with a reproduction "tag" (year sticker) so keep in mind that there are hundreds if not thousands of these reproduction plates out there.

Also the last Shelby Mustang built in Los Angeles was 1967 and not 1969. Shelby Mustang production moved to Michigan for the 1968-70 model years.

Steve