TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Guess what I found in my open grill

svt13

Guys, it was a functional design, not lazy. Carroll Shelby requested a shelby that went 200mph before he died, this was required to make that happen (DRAG LIMITED). There is nothing lazy about this car, if you knew all that went into it you'd retract your statements immediately. TVS, 5.8L, Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, etched wheel rims to limit tire slip, 6 piston brakes, a killer track pack, launch control, a digital guage for nearly everything, oh and the most powerful V8 in the world. And yet you bitch about how there is no grill because you don't understand the reasoning? No one is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy the car or even like the car.

This change fullfilled a dying mans dream, have a little respect for Shelby and the SVT engineers who made such a wicked car a reality for us.

Guys, it was a functional design, not lazy. Carroll Shelby requested a shelby that went 200mph before he died, this was required to make that happen (DRAG LIMITED). There is nothing lazy about this car, if you knew all that went into it you'd retract your statements immediately. TVS, 5.8L, Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, etched wheel rims to limit tire slip, 6 piston brakes, a killer track pack, launch control, a digital guage for nearly everything, oh and the most powerful V8 in the world. And yet you bitch about how there is no grill because you don't understand the reasoning? No one is holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy the car or even like the car.

This change fullfilled a dying mans dream, have a little respect for Shelby and the SVT engineers who made such a wicked car a reality for us.

Everything you said is correct but still I know FULL WELL why they left it open. But again like I said some people think Ford, SVT, Shelby is a charity service. The open grill was simply the easiest way to achieve cooling and aerodynamics rather than completely redesign things. For what reason should they do a redesign? To stop birds from flying into people's cars like mine? They don't care enough about the 1% of people this will happen to, to justify the cost of redesigning everything to make that 1% happy. It would be nice if they did, but again thats the problem with mass produced cars. They answer to the bean counters and not so much to the people whether they are you,me, or Shelby himself. Thats exactly why ford uses powder forged rods rather than true forged manley. The designers all wanted that but the bean counters didn't. I am sure this grill is no different. Hameedi probably had a different idea but the bean counters said "nope too expensive think of something else". Little bit of logic goes a long way in this world.

I'm sure there we're many factors that went into the open grill decision, one of them being cost. There was nothing "lazy" about it. Bottom line Ford built us the baddest car on the planet for the price and to keep that price reachable (which was one of Carroll's wishes) some concessions had to be made.

I don't care for the open grill but it in no way dampens my enthusiasm for this awesome car. Yes Mr. svt13 is a little rough around the edges but people should be allowed to disagree without being flamed and told to go buy a Chevy or whatever. This is still America right?

And to trackrat if these cars from 96 have been having cooling issues don't you think ford should make a better cooling system so that doesn't happen? I mean the only reason I wouldn't do that is to say its good as is and I don't want that extra cost eating in my profits. Though some would disagree because they think ford is a charity and forget they are a business

They did. They enlarged the radiator and changed the A/C condenser as well. Too dense of fin placement also proved too restrictive for proper cooling.

I suppose Boeing should install grilles too. :blink:

cargo-in-jet-engine.jpg

They did. They enlarged the radiator and changed the A/C condenser as well. Too dense of fin placement also proved too restrictive for proper cooling.

I suppose Boeing should install grilles too. :blink:

cargo-in-jet-engine.jpg

Things happen a little differently when a bird gets caught in an airplane turbine.

But anyways their changes to cooling weren't enough but again obviously if they did it better cost would go up. Anyways this thread wasn't made to debate these kinds of things. I was just simply stating what has happened with the open grill. Do I have any damage to anything behind my grill? No. Is it interesting I found a bird there? Yes. Would it have happened if there was a grill there? No. Thats all.

I'm sure there we're many factors that went into the open grill decision, one of them being cost. There was nothing "lazy" about it. Bottom line Ford built us the baddest car on the planet for the price and to keep that price reachable (which was one of Carroll's wishes) some concessions had to be made.

I don't care for the open grill but it in no way dampens my enthusiasm for this awesome car. Yes Mr. svt13 is a little rough around the edges but people should be allowed to disagree without being flamed and told to go buy a Chevy or whatever. This is still America right?

well said.

There seems to be an extreme lack of physics in this topic o.O My first thought was the airplane as well, but the point is that passing over aerodynamic capabilities and better cooling is not the best approach. Yes, there are other ways to do it. If there were not many ways to accomplish the same task, then many cars would look identical (not that cars across sea's haven't exampled stealing designs enough).

Either way, this design is indeed a great design. If the math needs to be posted....well, just ask. ;) Otherwise, change the grill out and stop pissing off PETA :P Random occurances happen to the best of us.

For some insite on the design and engineering of the front fascia and grille opening go to the 3.15 mark in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kq4bmocoNKs

I actually "lol"ed when he said a lot of engineering went into removing a grill. Especially when they been doing this on cobras for god knows how long. I wish the effort they put in the driveshaft they put in everything else. That is the part I like the most.

Archived