TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drive it or Store it? What can this car be worth?

OSHELBYO

If you hide it away and put very few miles on it, you MAY be one of the few who will make big bucks many years from now - but you have to give it to someone else to cash in the value.

OR

Drive it today and you WILL be one of the many who are having fun today and in the years to come.

Hmm. Tough choice. Hmm. NOT! :shift:

That is a great picture of one very nice, stripeless red machine. Enjoy it in good health.

Thank you for the compliment. When I had the car in the front yard for the photo, there was a short car show for the neighbors. It wasn't planned but since it was a nice Sunday morning, people driving buy decided to stop and see the new wheels.

Now, here is the REAL test. Go back and look at the photo in the original post. Look real hard. Can you see one of my Scotties in the car? She's there. Look hard. It's HER car, I am just her Chauffeur. Of course, isn't that the case with all dogs?

Ken

PS: If you can't see her in the original photo, we'll, here's a better photo for us older guys who wear glasses.

post-8327-1177816558_thumb.jpg

post-8327-1177816588_thumb.jpg

post-8327-1177816558_thumb.jpg

post-8327-1177816588_thumb.jpg

hey wireless .... that is one sharp red Shelby ... Never have seen one with NO stripes at all ... ANYWHERE.

I have always been one for very clean lines .... and though i wouldnt change my red coupe with the traditional stripes on it ... IF ... i had seen that pict ... I might have done it myself. Really really clean look .. VERY SHARP!

hey wireless .... that is one sharp red Shelby ... Never have seen one with NO stripes at all ... ANYWHERE.

I have always been one for very clean lines .... and though i wouldnt change my red coupe with the traditional stripes on it ... IF ... i had seen that pict ... I might have done it myself. Really really clean look .. VERY SHARP!

Thank you very much. It was a tough call. Admittedly the stripes would have maintained the retro mystic. I thought long and hard about the stripes delete option and even after I ordered it I had second thoughts. Not until I actually saw the car in person did I realize I made the right choice. One good side of not having stripes, coming up behind people, unless they know the front profile of the GT500, they don't know a killer is on their tail about ready to bite.

Here is a side by side photo of my GT500 and my 05GT.

Ken

post-8327-1177858703_thumb.jpg

post-8327-1177858703_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much. It was a tough call. Admittedly the stripes would have maintained the retro mystic. I thought long and hard about the stripes delete option and even after I ordered it I had second thoughts. Not until I actually saw the car in person did I realize I made the right choice. One good side of not having stripes, coming up behind people, unless they know the front profile of the GT500, they don't know a killer is on their tail about ready to bite.

Here is a side by side photo of my GT500 and my 05GT.

Ken

I'm going no stripe on mine, looks like I will be making the right decision - your car looks great like that! I'm thinking about Vapor without stripes. <drool>

Hello,

Wondering what you guys are doing with your cars? Drive it? Store it? What can THIS car be worth in the years to come? It is a Shelby, and we all know what the old ones are worth today. C. Shelby is 84....what happens to the value when he goes?

I'd appreciate your input....curious.

OSHELBYO

Question: what would car be worth to you if you were not here,or you couldn't drive it? Answer: Nothing! SOOOO Drive It!!! Bigtime!! Cause you never know what life has in store for you,so appreciate every beautiful shelby driving second you have. :D

You can drive it and take very good care of her and she will still be worth alot down the road. (If you can buy two..thats the best way..drive one, put one away)..But really...you can drive the car on weekends here and there in good weather and still enjoy the car without driving the car all the time and enjoying looking at the car in the garage is awesome too...just beautiful......Remember. Its the first official Ford Shelby GT500 Cobra Mustang since 1970. Firsts in performance icons are usually worth a pretty penny down the road. I have been in the classic car hobby since 1980 and tend to be right about alot of this. www.HotRodHarrys.com is my website... check some of my past cars out.

And hey...I am 43 and hope to be around alot longer than another 20years. My age group loves these musclecars...because in the late 70's and very early 80's there were no fast cars to buy new...so we were nuts for older fast musclecars that could be had for 800 bucks back then. So the want for those and these cars will be here for a few years to come.

Hello,

Wondering what you guys are doing with your cars? Drive it? Store it? What can THIS car be worth in the years to come? It is a Shelby, and we all know what the old ones are worth today. C. Shelby is 84....what happens to the value when he goes?

I'd appreciate your input....curious.

OSHELBYO

OSHELBYO,

I posed this question last October when I got mine and the responses I got were much like the ones you're getting now.

Allow me to give you my two cents.......

I bought mine thinking originally of only the collectibility factor. While I stillintend on keeping it in immaculate condition, I have modified my stance. I am going to drive and enjoy the car (took a Roush 427 owner for a ride yesterday) but I am going to take extremely good care of it. In my case, I am also going to leave mine in it's original state (no mods). If these cars do find a place in the collector's market, then mine should stand a better chance of holding a higher monetary value (in my opinion only) than one with lots of mods as long as it's in great shape. I couldn't bear the thought of growing old and never really getting to enjoy driving it.

Hope this helps

CB

I am a big fan of original, stock cars except for exhaust. I drive them on the good days and take the truck on the bad ones and WalMart, mall trips. Keeps the miles down and no worry when it is out of sight. My Mach 1 has 131k on him. He was my daily and family truckster thru 5 kids for 23 years and he is still doing good, although having a little rejuvination surgury at the moment! You can have drivers and keep them nice and they will still appreciate over time. Just need to be vigilant when repairing stuff and keeping to original and Ford oem replacements or rebuilding your original pieces. And make sure not to throw anything away even if "worthless", might wanna restore it 40 years down the road.

Archived