TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drive it or Store it? What can this car be worth?

OSHELBYO

Hello,

Wondering what you guys are doing with your cars? Drive it? Store it? What can THIS car be worth in the years to come? It is a Shelby, and we all know what the old ones are worth today. C. Shelby is 84....what happens to the value when he goes?

I'd appreciate your input....curious.

OSHELBYO

Hello,

Wondering what you guys are doing with your cars? Drive it? Store it? What can THIS car be worth in the years to come? It is a Shelby, and we all know what the old ones are worth today. C. Shelby is 84....what happens to the value when he goes?

OSHELBYO

I posted this in another thread, but think it's valid here as well. my .02 cents -

Even if you paid sticker, which I am guessing you did not, you would still have to hold onto this car for a LONG LONG time to see it be worth what it is listed at STICKER for, nevermind selling it to buy your dream house in Malibu.

Like DECADES - not months, not a few years.

'It's going to be a collector' reminds me of a car I once saw for sale at a used Corvette dealership. There was a ZR1, the old C5 version on the showroom floor - MINT condition, only had like 80 miles on it. The firewall under the hood had been SIGNED by every relavent engineer at the plant it was built, and it was the LAST ZR1 ever to be built at the plant, prior to it being closed for all time. The guy that bought it paid 85k for it, had it trailered from the plant after walking it through being built and signed, sat on it from 1992 (I think?) until I saw it in like 2000.

What did eight years of sitting on that ONE OF A KIND NEVER TO BE MADE AGAIN cars get him?

The car was for sale for 31k - and it's not like it was beating off offers at that price.

Telling yourself something is going to be a collectible doesn't make it one - scarcity does. And for a 3 year run this car isn't exactly going to be 'Enzo' scarce. (around 9000 GT500's a year times 3) Also you need to factor in the new 'exclusive models' like the KR and the Red Stripe edition, whatever that is called. And I bet they release other 'unique' GT500's before this is all said and done because Ford wants to make money, not make a collectible in this day and age.

my .02 cents.

Take your car out and drive it - best option you have.

Drive it, not just for the personal enjoyment, but for the enjoyment that it will bring others that see you driving. Even though there seems like a lot, say 30,000 when it is all said and done, in relationship to the total numbers of cars on the road, many people don't get a chance to see one often. I have never taken the Shelby out when someone didn't either thumbs up or talk to me. This car was made to have fun.

Drive it, not just for the personal enjoyment, but for the enjoyment that it will bring others that see you driving. Even though there seems like a lot, say 30,000 when it is all said and done, in relationship to the total numbers of cars on the road, many people don't get a chance to see one often. I have never taken the Shelby out when someone didn't either thumbs up or talk to me. This car was made to have fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you are 18 years old or younger. You're insurance rate is too high to drive it. In that case and in that case only, store it until your 40. Then evaluate the value. You'll have plenty of time to drive it into your golden years...on second thought :censored: that. Drive it like you stole it. You may die while it's wrapped in bubble wrap otherwise. :hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical2::hysterical2:

Hello,

OSHELBYO

Drive it....but sparingly for me for several reasons. 1) I want to have a nice car to drive for many years...and keeping it down around 3,000 miles/year allows me to have it stay nice for many years 2) I only drive 4 miles each way to work. Those short trips are not good for a car, so I don't want it as a daily driver. 3) Aren't supposed to drive it temps below 40 degrees with these tires...so no winter driving for me 4) If you drive it often, you have to wash it more often...more work. I wash mine and can drive it 3-4 times over a week's period with merely a California duster in between.

As far as what it's worth in the future, that's a minor concern to me. I've posted several times on my thoughts about cars as an investment....I think 99.9% of them are lousy investments...even the ones you see going for $200k at BJ auctions today. By the time you add up all the costs over the 20 years of ownership...you've not made a return anywhere near what the stock market will bring....I've done the math before and posted it here. If you think you can find the other .1%....and want to leave an inheritance...go for it.

Good luck.

Dave

Hello,

OSHELBYO

Drive it. DRIVE IT! :shift:

I am 55 years old. My two children are grown up and married. My grandkids are toddlers. :baby:

If it sits, just who will be enjoying the car when I'm dead and buried?

I have a 05 GT that I drive everyday but on the weekends here in Arizona, out comes the GT500. My Scotties enjoy the weekend rides too. Forget parking it as an investment. In a few years there will be another better car, something even faster or more powerful, and the GT500's will begin showing up on used car lots, just like everything else.

So, go drive your powerful and exhilirating GT500 and enjoy what out wonderful country has to offer. :soapbox:

post-8327-1177622927_thumb.jpg

post-8327-1177622927_thumb.jpg

The way the weather is in Michigan this is all I can do....Drive it? :shift: Store it? :cry: Drive it? :shift: Store it? :cry: Drive it? :shift: Store it? :cry:

CW you're lucky, I never got to the drive it stage yet but the weather has taken a turn for the better, I'm looking at next week we are going to have rain on the weekend and that should take off whats left of the salt on the roads. :hyper:

Drive it. DRIVE IT! :shift:

I am 55 years old. My two children are grown up and married. My grandkids are toddlers. :baby:

If it sits, just who will be enjoying the car when I'm dead and buried?

I have a 05 GT that I drive everyday but on the weekends here in Arizona, out comes the GT500. My Scotties enjoy the weekend rides too. Forget parking it as an investment. In a few years there will be another better car, something even faster or more powerful, and the GT500's will begin showing up on used car lots, just like everything else.

So, go drive your powerful and exhilirating GT500 and enjoy what out wonderful country has to offer. :soapbox:

That is a great picture of one very nice, stripeless red machine. Enjoy it in good health.

A big part of the reason the Shelby's of yesteryear are worth so much right now is because the Baby Boomers who lusted after these cars in their youth are now older and in many cases much more able to afford them. :woot:

20 years from now, the same demographic that drove up the prices of the 60's Shelby's won't be around anymore. :rip:

I'm predicting that the newer Shelby's won't be worth anywhere near as much - relatively speaking - in large part due to this consideration. :stirpot:

Drive it! :shift:

I think you should drive it too. Where I live, you can drive a car like this only 6-7 months a year. But during those 6-7 months I plan to drive it around 5,000 miles. These cars are fun to drive and meant to be enjoyed. I think they will hold their value well, but won't appreciate much. Betting on a specific new car model to become a collectible is a long shot. Too many things can happen in the next 20-30 years.

Hello,

OSHELBYO

I thought about, "What if I had a 68 Shelby GT350, worth, let's say $65,000. Along comes a 2007 Shelby GT500 that is sleek and new with all the technology of 40 years...........Would I sell the 68 Shelby and buy the 07. It would be very tempting...............so to answer...........DRIVE IT! (almost a true story but the names have been changed to protect the innocent)

I think you should drive it too. Where I live, you can drive a car like this only 6-7 months a year. But during those 6-7 months I plan to drive it around 5,000 miles. These cars are fun to drive and meant to be enjoyed. I think they will hold their value well, but won't appreciate much. Betting on a specific new car model to become a collectible is a long shot. Too many things can happen in the next 20-30 years.

I agree one life to live. Live life to the fullest enjoy. Don't have mines yet but soon :banghead: Still waiting :waiting:

Archived