TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Octane Boost on the 2013 - 87 OCTANE!

braztang

Please kindly give your input:

We have no gas in NYC for the past 9 days, this early morning at 3:30 am I was able to fill up with 87 octane, the only available grade gas in the entire city.

I bought a STP Octane Booster and added to the full thank.

I was told to in ADDITION, to buy the TURBO 108 and add it to the full thank in addition to the STP Octane Booster as I need to drive 200 miles on this weekend.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

braztang

yikes. store brand octane boosters don't do much. when the can says it raises octane by 3 to 4 points it means .3 to .4 is added to you octane number.

so you maybe at around 89 octane right now with the octane boost plus whatever remaining 93 was in the tank.

if i was you i would just be very careful while driving to listen to sound of pinging and DO NOT get into the boost!

also when you get down to half tank, i'd fill it with some 93 plus two more cans of octane boost just to be safe

The only thing available in the market for pick up NOW is the TURBO 108. I guess I will add one of those into the thank and take it easy until I am able to load 93 octane again. Thanks.

Hey, run into any issues with the Torco? Do you mix it to the 10gal described or a full tank? Thanks

None so far. But in the next couple of weeks I will add a tune to the car. It will be tuned for 91 octane + torco. I'm also going to run it on the dyno at the end of the month. So we'll see how it goes. But no issues just driving around on the street. So far I fill up when I have a quarter tank left. I put half a can of torco in the tank (16oz), then fill up with 91 octane. This likely puts me around 95 octane. We'll see what this translates into with the tune. I'm also adding the dual 65mm TB and JLT CF intake. I am hoping this all adds up to a safe 650 or so rwhp.

None so far. But in the next couple of weeks I will add a tune to the car. It will be tuned for 91 octane + torco. I'm also going to run it on the dyno at the end of the month. So we'll see how it goes. But no issues just driving around on the street. So far I fill up when I have a quarter tank left. I put half a can of torco in the tank (16oz), then fill up with 91 octane. This likely puts me around 95 octane. We'll see what this translates into with the tune. I'm also adding the dual 65mm TB and JLT CF intake. I am hoping this all adds up to a safe 650 or so rwhp.

Thanks for the reply. Im waiting on a 2013 to arrive. Others who Ive spoken with say no Torco needed with the 2013. Not sure if it will cause my to replace spark plugs too often.

Thanks for the reply. Im waiting on a 2013 to arrive. Others who Ive spoken with say no Torco needed with the 2013. Not sure if it will cause my to replace spark plugs too often.

Wayne I've heard some guys complain that it does make an orange build up on the plugs.

be safe man, I agree with whats been said. I have always used Torco but also know lucas works great. I recently had some gas in my Jeep Rubicon that made it detonate just pulling away from a stop. i dumped some torco into it and it stopped within a couple of miles. The jeep was running a 91 tune and it still worked great. I would say just to keep your foot out of it and you should be ok. I would get to the first station that had a higher octane and top off somewhere in your trip if possible.

Archived