TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Boss vs GT 500

thewheelman

thanks for sharing....good article

So I see you have an earty vert as well, reading your signature, do you happen to know where the pre-production verts stopped?

I've got vert #485 built 24AUG06.

Back then, there wasn't an order system, I had posted a deposit a year and some change before they came out. I was #3 on a list, I supplied my 3 choices of colors and whichever came in first, the other two above me got first pick, they wanted red/white and white/red, My first was the white/blue, second was the Alloy.

I was told Shaker 1000 was not an option at that specific time on the verts (Nav was not even mentioned and i was told it would mean passing the car further down the line. So I opted out of the Shaker 1000 and also, no LeMans stripes available from the factory, so the dealer measured one of the ones they got in before mine and then "blended" them and retopped in clear. It's not a perfect smooth as the Ford GT, but it's pretty close and the painted strip is gorgeous and the Vista Blue looks about a foot deep next to the Performance White.

Oh yeah, the best decision was opting out on the 1000, this year I boxed up all the Shaker 500 stuff and put in a wonderful Pioneer system with an option I thought wasn't much of a big deal at the time, but has been one that I use the most....a great high def backup camera that works great, as well as the BlueTooth for phone calls as well as streaming music from my iPhon;e as well as GPS DriveHD which when needed works flawlessly.

Did you buy yours new?

thanks for sharing....good article

So I see you have an earty vert as well, reading your signature, do you happen to know where the pre-production verts stopped?

I've got vert #485 built 24AUG06.

Did you buy yours new?

Yes, bought mine new, though a year later (8/2008). The dealer, Town & Country in Nashville, TN, had used this car for the centerpiece of their showroom since it's delivery. I believe it had been on the showroom floor for 763 days, according to the salesman. The 56 miles on it were put on doing TV commercials for the local market--too bad no copy of them exist now. T&C were very proud of this car--the general manager called it "his" and had the side scoops installed before it went on the showroom floor. He said his '67 GT 500 had them, so this one should too. I was actually shopping for a Shelby GT because 1) I didn't think I could afford a GT 500 and 2) wife drives car occasionally and her knees I didn't think would hold up to the shifting, but (honestly) wife saw this car, liked it much better. "Wouldn't you rather have that one?" she said. Who was I to argue with wife??? When we got down to nickles and dimes, I could buy this car for about the same price as a year newer Shelby GT vert. I had wife work the clutch a few times and she seemed satisfied with it (we weren't allowed to test drive it--or any of the other GT 500's they had on the lot). I took the plunge! Salesman at T&C knew more about high performance Mustangs than any sales rep I've ever met--later went to work for Roush--and was very upset that we were going to "just drive" it. LOL! After we bought it, they sent me a whole binder full of stuff--documentation stating it was a "certified pre-production unit" built on 5/12/06, the 19th convertible off the line and the 2nd in Alloy Metallic. They also tracked down all the distribution sheets and determined that this car holds the lowest vin # for any 07 GT 500 convertible.

So, no, I didn't have any options on the options. Although I would have liked to have had the nav package, I took it just like it sat and have been thrilled with it since. I don't know when the "pre-production" cars ended and regular production began. BTW, my owner's manual says "485 horsepower"!

All of the above information in the article was told to me by the Sales Manager when he tried to sell me a white Boss for $53500....He was going to give me $37000 for my 08 gt500 and I in return would give him a check for $17000...At the time I JUST could not justify the $ difference with the huge loss in HP/TQ..My Wife looked at me and asked...HOW MUCH $$ WILL I HAVE TO PUT INTO THE NEW ONE TO BE SATISFIED????.. I did not buy the BOSS and my Wife and I walked out HAND in HAND... and ""NOT DIVORCED""..... OH WELL....Nice BOSS though.......B

Thanks for sharing. Seems to be an accurate review of both cars. He really liked the Boss and was surprised how "perfect" the suspension is with the solid rear axle. My favorite line about the GT500's power was "...and makes a Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 feel like a V-6 by comparison..." Haha!

Archived