TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Alcoa's - Tire Information Needed

Snoopy49

I am thinking about going with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35ZR20 on all 4 corners with a set of 20x10" New Alcoa's. Any downside effects? I would like the to be able to rotate the tires, but I don't want to sacrifice performance or drivability. 2013 GT500

Please let me know what you think.

I am thinking about going with Michelin Pilot Super Sport 285/35ZR20 on all 4 corners with a set of 20x10" New Alcoa's. Any downside effects? I would like the to be able to rotate the tires, but I don't want to sacrifice performance or drivability. 2013 GT500

Please let me know what you think.

I like the 285/35ZR20 as well, but will buy the 265/35ZR20's for the fronts as I ordered a mixed set. I'm not sure why Shelby recommends 275/35ZR20 for the 10" rim?

I've heard the 285's will rub on the front. 275's seem to be the safest up front on a 10 rim. Some also think a 275 on a 10' rim is better than a 275 on a 9' rim. I ordered all 10's as well. Thinking of 275 on the front and 295's on the back. I'm also considering 275's all around. A few have commented that the same tire size front and back will negatively affect performance.

Personally I would NOT go 285's all the way around. The only upside would be the ability to rotate, but you would have to unmount the tires to really make it worth your time.... if even then. Also, there is a performance issue. There's a reason why even Ford staggers fronts/rears. Without going into the long and short of it, the car will handle better. The negatives of a matched set outweigh the positives on all counts....

I don't understand the need for the factory staggering other than as a marketing tool. Unless there is a performance/handling advantage?

Example: Factory 19" & 20"

265-40-19 tire = 27.35" dia. 10.43" wide

285-35-20 tire = 27.85" dia. 11.22" wide

Ride height difference between front and rear tire is on 1/4"

Alcoa 20"

275-35-20 tire = 27.58" dia. 10.83" wide

295-35-20 tire = 28.13" dia. 11.61" wide

Ride height difference between front and rear tire is about 3/8"

I don't understand the need for the factory staggering other than as a marketing tool. Unless there is a performance/handling advantage?

Example: Factory 19" & 20"

265-40-19 tire = 27.35" dia. 10.43" wide

285-35-20 tire = 27.85" dia. 11.22" wide

Ride height difference between front and rear tire is on 1/4"

Alcoa 20"

275-35-20 tire = 27.58" dia. 10.83" wide

295-35-20 tire = 28.13" dia. 11.61" wide

Ride height difference between front and rear tire is about 3/8"

The principle reason for a staggered setup is to avoid snap-oversteer situations, which are MORE common on cars with matched tires. Basically you're putting the same size tire patch at all four corners with a matched set, on a car that has a biased weight setup (not 50/50 weight front/back). A car with staggered tires is designed with a natural understeer, which is both predictable and controllable. A car with matched tires CAN have a tendency to go from a controlled understeer all the way to a snap-oversteer in the blink of an eye.

So contact area has more to do with the potential problems rather than the diameter of the tire?

Its all about physics... and its always a compromise. Drag, weight, friction, rolling resistance... absolutely nothing is absolute. Getting a car how you like it is difficult enough when you're really pushing it to its limits. Whats BEST to do is use the information that other's have, and to work WITH the laws of physics. As it pertains to the subject started by the OP, I'm only relating what is by all accounts "common knowledge", used by the manufacturers and by those who regularly push their vehicles to their limits (since that's the only time it really comes into play). Having said that, if you drive the streets of Anytown USA like a reasonable person there's no reason you should be concerned with any of this tire talk, save for if they fit. But, if you have ever seen a car go through a corner hard, and suddenly the rear end comes around like something broke you have just witnessed snap-oversteer, and that's not something you want to have happen on the track or the street.

Archived