TEAM SHELBY FORUM

COR wheels...

patrickshelby

Ok after reading this now the alcoa thing worries me. If Jer could chime in I'm wondering they say heavy sandblasting can degrade cast alumnium as heating from powdercoating. So then how did SPP powdercoat the alcoas without ruining it since they would first have to sand blast them and then powdercoat them on top of that.

II KNEW you would be the 1st one!

Do you live with a connected PC around your neck?

Do you have pills to keep you awake full time?

Just joking..

You know it by now.

There are many many sets of Alcoas and thousands of other wheels powdercoated, on the street and on the tracks.

To me it's BS.

II KNEW you would be the 1st one!

Do you live with a connected PC around your neck?

Do you have pills to keep you awake full time?

Just joking..

You know it by now.

There are many many sets of Alcoas and thousands of other wheels powdercoated, on the street and on the tracks.

To me it's BS.

Mhmmmm you know the same could be said of you since your always number 2!!! to post.

Painting shouldn't do this (unless you're using some really bizzaro paint); I can't imagine how sandblasting would do this (unless you really remove a LOT of material); I'm not enough of an expert to know the effects of heat on aluminum, but I'd think that's a stretch as well, particularly since aluminum seems to handle heat exposure fairly well in our engine blocks.

There's more to this story...

Ok after reading this now the alcoa thing worries me. If Jer could chime in I'm wondering they say heavy sandblasting can degrade cast alumnium as heating from powdercoating. So then how did SPP powdercoat the alcoas without ruining it since they would first have to sand blast them and then powdercoat them on top of that.

You should be more concerned with how the paint will hold up to UV radiation. There are low temperature powder coat paints.

Preparing surfaces of aluminum for powder coating and the application of powder coating materials.

http://jalopnik.com/...im?popular=true

http://www.corwheels.com/

Could paint or powdercoating affect wheels to such extend as to have them break at the track?

The answer to your question is a resounding YES. If a wheel temper is changed by high-heat during powder coating it absolutely can affect the durability of the metal. COR is a relatively good name in wheels, and so is HRE... but I've seen photos recently of both with cracks. I've not seen one broken like this yet... nor does it look like an "aftermarket" color, so I'm not sure that this is the case here. As spindly as those spokes look Im guessing it may have just been a curb on the track. But in either case, clearly a catastrophic failure. Probably had to clean the driver seat too....

Archived