TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Nevada or Arizona winter stay

verlyn12

We are just starting the snowbird thing and would like to find someplace-just for a couple of months Feb and March. We have friends that go to Casa Grande to the mobile home parks and have visited there but that is not what we're looking for. They golf, go to garage sales and flea markets and not much else. We don't do any of that and would like somewhere that has more to do particularly with other car enthusiasts, car shows etc. We are very familiar with Vegas but haven't been there for any length of time to know what else there is besides the tourist scene. Any suggestions?

My brother lives in Az. and he tells me that in the south it gets very hot but the north is a lot cooler, so if the heat is a problem stay to the north part of the state, other than that I know very little about Az. I have been to vagas and there is a lot to do around the area but again it seemed hot to me.

My brother lives in Az. and he tells me that in the south it gets very hot but the north is a lot cooler, so if the heat is a problem stay to the north part of the state, other than that I know very little about Az. I have been to vagas and there is a lot to do around the area but again it seemed hot to me.

Thanks for replying. Vegas is really hot from May to October for sure. I just know we're aren't ready for the type of thing our neighbors do but would like to leave South Dakota for a month or so when it is coldest here. Thanks again.

In the summer the desert part of AZ is hot - Phoenix south. The mountains are more temperate - just north of Phoenix as you start to head into the mountains there are bands where the temperatures are moderate year around but you can get snow (e.g., Payson), and then north all the way to Flagstaff and you're in th emountains with winter and snow.

Las Vegas climate is more like the Phoenix/Tucson. Summers are desert hot. Winter does happen, trees do drop their leaves (as some trees do in even in Phoenix), snow is rare as a hen's tooth and when it does people have no clue how to drive.

Both places are sweater or light jacket morning, nicer in the afternoons. You can tell how long people have been there - snowbirds wear short sleeve shirts, long term residens wear long sleeves or sweaters.

One thing for sure, is that the car culture in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the winter is intense. When I do make it down there in January time frame, there are a couple mall cruizes on Friday/Saturday nights with literally hundereds of cars. Many Coloradan's winter in Phoenix. Lots of my car friends that can afford to head there. That is what I would do given the opportunity, but that will never happen with all our horses and other critters that we have year around.

One thing for sure, is that the car culture in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area in the winter is intense. When I do make it down there in January time frame, there are a couple mall cruizes on Friday/Saturday nights with literally hundereds of cars. Many Coloradan's winter in Phoenix. Lots of my car friends that can afford to head there. That is what I would do given the opportunity, but that will never happen with all our horses and other critters that we have year around.

That's good to know-will look into that. Thanks.

Car enthusiast wise, Vegas is pretty nice during those months.

Car shows are starting up for the season.

Shelby is here.

There is a Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning. Great Shelby turnout there. Usually about 200 to 300 cars weekly.

Also,another similar event on Sunday mornings on the north end of town.

Shelby is here.

Oh, did I say that Shelby is here. :D

Car enthusiast wise, Vegas is pretty nice during those months.

Car shows are starting up for the season.

Shelby is here.

There is a Cars and Coffee event every Saturday morning. Great Shelby turnout there. Usually about 200 to 300 cars weekly.

Also,another similar event on Sunday mornings on the north end of town.

Shelby is here.

Oh, did I say that Shelby is here. :D

Made ME move here!

BTW, still haven't made it out to a Cars and Coffee event - At Guitar Center, I worked every Saturday!

Looking forward to it sometime.

Jer

Thanks everybody. I have been looking on line at some rental units at the rv resorts and also the car club events and starting to put things together. We visited freinds at Casa Grande a few days (like a weekend) the last couple of years and knew that scene wasn't for us. The other thing that is interesting is that our friends are about 70 and have been going for 10 years-inlaws started going south about age 58. We visited events at 3 rv parks and didn't see people in that 60 range at all. The only conclusion we came to was that people our age are working longer or buying vacation homes because of the much lower prices. I am retiring in 11 months at 62 and hubby will be 65 so we are a few years behind when the inlaws started.

We are planning on attending the bash so will look into the rv parks and park model rentals before we bring a camper. I am thinking that with car events and also hubby is a Shriner so instead of flea markets and garage sales we will be able to find things that we enjoy. The Scottsdale and Mesa areas are intriguing as well. Looking forward to this retirement thing!!

Archived