TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question about wheel sizes

I want to replace the wheels on my 2007 SGT with the Antrachite Bullitt wheels. However, I was thinking of going down

to 17" wheels instead of staying with the 18" like are on the car. I know a lot of people like bigger wheels like 20 inchers but I like the look of smaller rims mostly because I think the 17" size looks more retro than the bigger rims.

My question is, will 17" Bullitts clear the stock brakes ok? (I have no plans to upgrade to bigger brakes like Brembos anyway.) Secondly, whats everone's opinion of dropping down to smaller wheels? Any downsides? I'm planning on going to a staggered 17" wheel and tire setup as long as I can stay with 26 to 27 inch diameter tires.

This is the first time I've heard someone wanting to downsize! I stuck with the 18" wheels - eliminate juggling tire sizes, speedo error, etc. - staggered setup, 9" up front, 10" out back, American Muscle Anthracite Bullits.

gallery_13043_1123_366565.jpg

Sam

I like the look of that Sam!!!

I want to replace the wheels on my 2007 SGT with the Antrachite Bullitt wheels. However, I was thinking of going down

to 17" wheels instead staying with the 18" like are on the car. I know a lot of people like bigger wheels like 20 inchers but I like the look of smaller rims mostly because I think the 17" size looks more retro than the bigger rims.

My question is, will 17" Bullitts clear the stock brakes ok? (I have no plans to upgrade to bigger brakes like Brembos anyway.) Secondly, whats everone's opinion of dropping down to smaller wheels? Any downsides? I'm planning on going to a staggered 17" wheel and tire setup as long as I can stay with 26 to 27 inch diameter tires.

Many base-model Mustangs were sold with 17s, can't imagine it would be an issue on stock brakes.

Jer

Many base-model Mustangs were sold with 17s, can't imagine it would be an issue on stock brakes.

Jer

Ouch Jer!

If you are thinking more of a vintage look with some history, take a look at the American Racing Torq Thrust M wheels, in 17 or 18 inch sizes. At one time these wheels were available with Shelby center caps.

-Tom

Thanks, thats a good idea. I'll look into to those to see if the backspacing is the same as the Bullitt wheels.

Archived