TEAM SHELBY FORUM

License plates on posted photos...

Wayne in NJ

There was cause for not wanting your license plate number available when all anyone had to do was ask the (California) DMV and they'd tell you the registered home address. Then a movie starlet was sliced up by a stalker who found her location that way. Law changed: now there are serious hoops to protect from that kind of casual disclosure.

Should I hide this one?

8087228799_8ac7767c9a_c.jpg

Honestly the only time i see it being a must do is if your doing something stupid and posting it on YouTube/facespace ect. There have been a few cases locally where the cops have used these media sites to find street racers

I read a rather lengthy article once that discussed all the pros and cons on this subject and the resultant advice was that, as a general rule, it is a good idea to blur or blank out the plates esp. In today's digital age whereby your photos can possibly be altered and/or enhanced and used by others to your potential detriment.

I read a rather lengthy article once that discussed all the pros and cons on this subject and the resultant advice was that, as a general rule, it is a good idea to blur or blank out the plates esp. In today's digital age whereby your photos can possibly be altered and/or enhanced and used by others to your potential detriment.

With all the stupid, crazy shyte I pulled in my life I'm sure they couldn't come up with anything that I haven't already done.... :hysterical:

+1

If you're worried about someone seeing your plates you should probably never leave your house. There are so many pictures taken of these cars (public, private, governmental agencies, etc...) while driving around that you should just brick up your garage and readjust your tinfoil hat.

It's a car, have the appropriate insurance, drive, and enjoy it!!!

There was cause for not wanting your license plate number available when all anyone had to do was ask the (California) DMV and they'd tell you the registered home address. Then a movie starlet was sliced up by a stalker who found her location that way. Law changed: now there are serious hoops to protect from that kind of casual disclosure.

Well....Close.

The "starlet", Rebecca Shaffer (from the TV show "My Sister Sam" staring Pam Dawber, aka "Mindy" from Mork & Mindy) was found when her stalker asked the Calif. DMV for her address (via a Private Investigator/PI) based on her DRIVERS LICENSE (not car plate).

He rang the bell and when she opened the door he blasted her with a 357 magnum. She died on her front step.

Before the law changed, you could get anyone's address for free from the DMV (except a Law Enforcemet Officer's/LEO). Now all it takes is 5 bucks but the DMV asks permission from the person you're looking for before giving it out to you (and won't give it out if you deny it).

Prior to that, we had a book (at a Olds Dealership) that I could look up any CA license plate number and get the registered owner's name and address. I only found this out when a Salesman saw a hot chick drive by, took her number and ran to the book to look her up (and found out she was married).

Since Rebecca Shaffer's death, that's no longer the case.

Personally I think it's a waste of time to blur your plate # in photos because there's really nothing to be gained by getting your plate (or mine). IF you could possibly find my residence, you have to get by me and my firearms to get to my car. And besides, there is SO much information available to the public such as my name, address, phone #, property information, etc. that it pales in comparison to my car info.

Which is also why I don't have a problem posting my name/address on a open forum (because it's already public information).

JMHO,

Phill

If you're worried about someone seeing your plates you should probably never leave your house. There are so many pictures taken of these cars (public, private, governmental agencies, etc...) while driving around that you should just brick up your garage and readjust your tinfoil hat.

It's a car, have the appropriate insurance, drive, and enjoy it!!!

Leaving a car show a few weekends ago, some guy (he was the passenger) was video recording my car on his camera on the freeway for like 20 miles on and off from the front, side and rear of the car. What could I do to prevent it?? Ya of course I could have floored it and left him but too much traffic to do that!!! Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived