TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GTS In My Future .. Hope So

Gotmytoy

Hi everyone.

I have been on the forum for a while but not active. Busy year with lots of headaches, but back to normal now and thinking about my cars again.

The 2011 MCA needs a new life and I am seriously considering upgrading to a GTS but have to make a few decisions first. Also trying to understand what some of the package parts are and options for my GTS build. I have been learning a lot reading about your builds and they all look great. No plans on doing anything overboard. The plan is to keep it simple but will definately add the driveshaft option and maybe do something with the interior.

I think my biggest stumbling point is the MCA itself. Somehow (and by chance only) I ended up with a pretty rare bird. It is 1 of 6 made in ingot silver with stone interior. Can't decide is it is worth considering this aspect or not. Value wise, there is likely nothing to gain by keeping it stock but there is something inside that keeps telling me it is unique and to leave it alone. My wife tells me do what I want with it and she is actually excited about turning it into a GTS. We both love our Mustangs and actually have 3. She drives a 2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS.

If I do this it is all or nothing. The MCA will transform completely and will lose all identity right down to the blackout rear panel (hope there is paint under that tape). Hate to see the wheels go but really like the GT4 wheel and tire package. No plans on doing the SC since I have a couple other cars with more than enough power to satisfy that urge. The V6 works well as my DD so no need to go that far with it.

I don't think the MCA is that special but would like to hear what you guys think.

Hi everyone.

I have been on the forum for a while but not active. Busy year with lots of headaches, but back to normal now and thinking about my cars again.

The 2011 MCA needs a new life and I am seriously considering upgrading to a GTS but have to make a few decisions first. Also trying to understand what some of the package parts are and options for my GTS build. I have been learning a lot reading about your builds and they all look great. No plans on doing anything overboard. The plan is to keep it simple but will definately add the driveshaft option and maybe do something with the interior.

I think my biggest stumbling point is the MCA itself. Somehow (and by chance only) I ended up with a pretty rare bird. It is 1 of 6 made in ingot silver with stone interior. Can't decide is it is worth considering this aspect or not. Value wise, there is likely nothing to gain by keeping it stock but there is something inside that keeps telling me it is unique and to leave it alone. My wife tells me do what I want with it and she is actually excited about turning it into a GTS. We both love our Mustangs and actually have 3. She drives a 2011 Grabber Blue GT/CS.

If I do this it is all or nothing. The MCA will transform completely and will lose all identity right down to the blackout rear panel (hope there is paint under that tape). Hate to see the wheels go but really like the GT4 wheel and tire package. No plans on doing the SC since I have a couple other cars with more than enough power to satisfy that urge. The V6 works well as my DD so no need to go that far with it.

I don't think the MCA is that special but would like to hear what you guys think.

My wife has a 2012 Kona Blue MCA, and it's going to be a GTS.

BTW, yes, there is paint under the rear panel...

Jer

Seeing as you are already driving it as your DD, you are planning on enjoying it and not just as an investment. I can't imagine that the MCA will be worth much more than a standard Mustang in our life time. If I were you, I'd do what ever you want to the car. Might as well make it even more unique by adding the authorized Shelby modifications. Modify it to your liking, enjoy the heck out of it I'd say. Let a future owner in 40-50 years condemn you if they must. However having the Shelby modifications with the MCA, I can't imagine would be a bad thing!

My GTS is/was an MCA edition. You can see before, during and after picts on my gallery. I would do the conversion all over again.

I particualarly chose the MCA for the wheels, because I needed 18 inch wheels and elected not to get the GTS wheel upgrade. I'm still considering the GTS/GT4 wheels as a summer set.

SAI took off the side stripes but I asked them to leave the black deck lid pannel on.

Good luck!

Currently your car is a 1 of 6 build.

Now think of how many of these 6 cars are going to be sent to Shelby American for a GTS build? My guess one, yours.

Don't see how you can go wrong by going from a 1 of 6 build to a possible 1 of 1 build. And its not like you couldn't return the car back to a stock MCA edition in the future.

Steve

Great replies guys. I knew if I came here I would get a true reality check and good answers. The 1 in 6 card I drew was nothing more than chance to begin with. I never bought it with the intention for it to be collectable. It just ended up unique when I ordered the certificate and checked the stats. I know how this stuff goes but as I read your replies, you make a great point. It will be the only one for sure. So now I can look at this as another certificate on my wall of pedigrees and add a GTS. Funny thing, the GT500 is probably the least collectable of the bunch but I treat it like it is the only one in existance .. almost laughable but that is how much I like that car.

Now comes the fun. 1st is getting the $$ together for the build. I have enough but as I add options, well you know how that goes. This one is 100% paid for and want to keep it that way. Next will be the mountain of questions I am gonna have on the detail surrounding the basic package and any upgrades I may decide on. Last is time for the build and if I can take the car in myself and pick it up when complete. I live in Phoenix so not too far to drive and it would be great to treat the wife to a couple of weekends in Vegas. Drop it off, fly home. Fly in, drive it home ... already excited.

To all of you who have replied, my sincere thanks. When I get home from work this evening I post a photo of the car as it is today and current modifications.

Currently your car is a 1 of 6 build.

Now think of how many of these 6 cars are going to be sent to Shelby American for a GTS build? My guess one, yours.

Don't see how you can go wrong by going from a 1 of 6 build to a possible 1 of 1 build. And its not like you couldn't return the car back to a stock MCA edition in the future.

Steve

What are the numbers on the GTS build to date? Is it possible to break it all down on V8 vs V6, AT vs MT, Couple vs Convertible, etc? Just wondering. I would told I've got the only GTS in Hawaii originally but I'm wondering what all of the numbers look like.

What are the numbers on the GTS build to date? Is it possible to break it all down on V8 vs V6, AT vs MT, Couple vs Convertible, etc? Just wondering. I would told I've got the only GTS in Hawaii originally but I'm wondering what all of the numbers look like.

No numbers available at this time. We try not to publish build numbers on an open program, like the GTS, as the numbers will be incorrect as soon as a new order is placed. But when we do get to the point to do perform some number crunching you can be assured that we will break the build down by body, engine, paint color, options, etc.

Steve

Options, yeah, get some options, live a little.

YOU might know a little something about that, eh?

Jer

Options, yeah, get some options, live a little.

LOL, yeah, you would push the options... I think you should change your screenname to Option King :rockon:

YOU might know a little something about that, eh?

Jer

My sentiments exactly!

GOTMYTOY, I agree with the others, the 1 of 6 is pretty cool, but adding the GTS upgrade really does make it a bigger deal, and like Patentman said, he kept his blackout panel and wheels which keeps that MCA connection! Whatever you decide option-wise, you're going to LOVE the end result!

I'm just reading Gotmytoy's posts.

The plan is to keep it simple but will definately add the driveshaft option and maybe do something with the interior.

He's doing the driveshaft, and the interior.

If I am in his shoes and want to add just a little more to that GTS of his, knowing what I know now, I'd add the Fays2 Watts Link. That will really improve the rear suspension, IMO.

Sorry so late. Worked late and then to the dealer to get guess who in for service. Wanted to get the transmission TSB out of the way before I get this thing going. So the wife and I talked a lot today about this and both of us are sold on the idea. So within a few weeks I will be pulling the trigger myself and hoping the transmission work done this week takes care of that mess.

First off, I know a couple of you guys from AFM .. IBJ I watched your build start to finish and I fully blame you for the consequences that follow 100% :yup: Wow, words can't describe how great your GTS looks.

tjys, I have read all your comments over there too about your great car and GT500. Love that color and wheels. I saw IBJ's wheels and had to have a set for my GT500 so he is responsible for that too .. lol. Your set in black is exactly what I want on the silver GTS.

I have got over the identity crisis and the MCA. Decided it will be a one of one no matter what because it is more or less my concept. The nice part of this is I can make it the way I want it. How often can you do that and come home with something that will turn heads at every light. Mine will match to cover page car on the site with only difference being black wheels and a GT500 spoiler. I also think it will be a neat story to tell when someone asks.

Patentman, I looked at every picture you have of the build. Great car (I am very partial to Red Shelbys) and great information to help me in my decision. I like the stock MCA wheels on yours. Could be an option for me to save a little and put it on other options. I just want to make sure I can get the GT4 set at some point. Looked high an low for the solid black and can't find them anywhere on the Shelby site and no luck anywhere else. Like the option of leaving the black panel in place and it looks like it belongs. Definately something to consider, but know I will let it go in the end for the full stripe package.

Right now I have a GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Lower Facia and Borla S Type axle backs. Nothing done to the engine other than the performance package strut brace and engine cover. Oh, it has an auto with 3.31 gears. So really simple. It will definately be driven and already has. She rolled over 23K this afternoon. The garage queen is red and leads a very papmered life with low miles.

For my package I am leaning toward the driveshaft like I mentioned. I have heard too much about how bad those are and I do plan at least a CAI and tune at some point. I really like the way IBJ's interior turned out so that is something I want to research more. I want the center section black with the outer and back to remain stone. Kinda like adding racing stripes. Not sure if they can match the stone color or not. I have definately been playing "mark the X" on the build sheet trying to figure out my best approach. Thinking about the LCA's for sure.

So now for a couple of questions.

1. Is the exhaust axle or cat back. Also which mufflers are included. I have the S Type now and they are ok but boarder on loud. They will come off before I send it over to be sold at a bargain when I put the stock exhaust back on.

2. Next question is about the base package. When I select options the wheels are automatically added. It looks like they are included in the 10,500 base cost. Just checking.

3. The driveshaft looks like a decent deal so that is a shoe in for me. Assuming there will be no issue having an automatic .. right?

4. Suspension looks adequate for my needs as it comes on the base package. I want the LCA's added and probably more for looks than function. Since I am keeping it more or less stock, is there really any reason to go for anything more aggressive. IBJ says add the fays 2 watts link.. It is my DD and want it to have a decent ride quality but also curious about other options.

5. tjys, you know I was asking about the Fogs on the other forum. Still wondering about this as an option. If I knew what the backside of the ducts look like I could get ideas. I am an engineer with access to a full machine shop and an ol hotrodder runs it so easy to design a fit if there is something back there to work with. Anyone ever tried it? I really like my fog lights. The car takes a run home to Louisiana each year and they come in handy.

So that's it for now. Already made the reply way too long rambling .. but so much to learn so I can make the right decisions. I am getting excited about the project and half the fun is planning it.

Thanks again for the help and support.

post-29865-0-10446000-1350359983_thumb.jpg

post-29865-0-10446000-1350359983_thumb.jpg

The panhard bars are OK, the Watts Link would eliminate that and replace the need for that bar. I think the LCAs would be a good thing.

Anyrthing to improve the rear suspension is a plus IMO, because I feel the rear suspension on the stocks kind of sucks.

I love my interior package.

Look at your budget, think about your needs, go from there.

I didn't have a budget, so things were easier for me.

I think it's great that you came over from AFM and had watched my build and others over there.

Sorry so late. Worked late and then to the dealer to get guess who in for service. Wanted to get the transmission TSB out of the way before I get this thing going. So the wife and I talked a lot today about this and both of us are sold on the idea. So within a few weeks I will be pulling the trigger myself and hoping the transmission work done this week takes care of that mess. First off, I know a couple of you guys from AFM .. IBJ I watched your build start to finish and I fully blame you for the consequences that follow 100% :yup: Wow, words can't describe how great your GTS looks. tjys, I have read all your comments over there too about your great car and GT500. Love that color and wheels. I saw IBJ's wheels and had to have a set for my GT500 so he is responsible for that too .. lol. Your set in black is exactly what I want on the silver GTS. I have got over the identity crisis and the MCA. Decided it will be a one of one no matter what because it is more or less my concept. The nice part of this is I can make it the way I want it. How often can you do that and come home with something that will turn heads at every light. Mine will match to cover page car on the site with only difference being black wheels and a GT500 spoiler. I also think it will be a neat story to tell when someone asks. Patentman, I looked at every picture you have of the build. Great car (I am very partial to Red Shelbys) and great information to help me in my decision. I like the stock MCA wheels on yours. Could be an option for me to save a little and put it on other options. I just want to make sure I can get the GT4 set at some point. Looked high an low for the solid black and can't find them anywhere on the Shelby site and no luck anywhere else. Like the option of leaving the black panel in place and it looks like it belongs. Definately something to consider, but know I will let it go in the end for the full stripe package. Right now I have a GT500 Spoiler, GT500 Lower Facia and Borla S Type axle backs. Nothing done to the engine other than the performance package strut brace and engine cover. Oh, it has an auto with 3.31 gears. So really simple. It will definately be driven and already has. She rolled over 23K this afternoon. The garage queen is red and leads a very papmered life with low miles. For my package I am leaning toward the driveshaft like I mentioned. I have heard too much about how bad those are and I do plan at least a CAI and tune at some point. I really like the way IBJ's interior turned out so that is something I want to research more. I want the center section black with the outer and back to remain stone. Kinda like adding racing stripes. Not sure if they can match the stone color or not. I have definately been playing "mark the X" on the build sheet trying to figure out my best approach. Thinking about the LCA's for sure. So now for a couple of questions. 1. Is the exhaust axle or cat back. Also which mufflers are included. I have the S Type now and they are ok but boarder on loud. They will come off before I send it over to be sold at a bargain when I put the stock exhaust back on. 2. Next question is about the base package. When I select options the wheels are automatically added. It looks like they are included in the 10,500 base cost. Just checking. 3. The driveshaft looks like a decent deal so that is a shoe in for me. Assuming there will be no issue having an automatic .. right? 4. Suspension looks adequate for my needs as it comes on the base package. I want the LCA's added and probably more for looks than function. Since I am keeping it more or less stock, is there really any reason to go for anything more aggressive. IBJ says add the fays 2 watts link.. It is my DD and want it to have a decent ride quality but also curious about other options. 5. tjys, you know I was asking about the Fogs on the other forum. Still wondering about this as an option. If I knew what the backside of the ducts look like I could get ideas. I am an engineer with access to a full machine shop and an ol hotrodder runs it so easy to design a fit if there is something back there to work with. Anyone ever tried it? I really like my fog lights. The car takes a run home to Louisiana each year and they come in handy. So that's it for now. Already made the reply way too long rambling .. but so much to learn so I can make the right decisions. I am getting excited about the project and half the fun is planning it. Thanks again for the help and support.

Don't hesitate to ask your salesperson their opinion. They have a lot of experience fitting the car to their customers' needs, and they won't sell you the wrong thing or too much stuff. We want you to love the car.

Jer

I can say that the salesman I had is very knowledgeable.

Based on the goals for my build, he didn't have to to sell me anything, but more had to explain to me how certain items I was selecting worked/functioned and what the negatives/positives were.

I still call him regarding technical things.

Whoever you have in sales, should be very helpful.

Take advantage of that.

Hey Guys. Thanks for the support and Patentman, thanks for the compliment on the 500. That one will be around for a long time to come. It was actually my dream car and never thought I could afford one (especially when the 07's were going for $15K over sticker). Found her sitting all alone at a dealer with only 2K miles and perfect. Some guy wanted a Raptor and traded the Shelby in. Got a great deal and took her home. That was a little over 2 years ago. Now it is time for a little brother to join in.

Dropped the MCA at the dealer for the transmission work this afternoon. It has all the symptoms of TSB 11-11-11 and should be an easy fix. Both of our 11's were early builds and have the problem. The wifes CS goes in for the same fix when mine comes out. I wanted to get any warranty work out of the way now so there would be no issues later.

So with that out of the way I only need to make the final decisions on how I want the package built. Really leaning toward the interior upgrade especially after spending time looking a lbj's seats. Looks like they get a bit of new padding and support. That would really help mine out and I also want to break up all of that white. Still not sure if the color choices are a match but will find that out when I contact the sales department. I like the idea of a better interior and more comfort.

Still have to make up my mind on how much to spend and options fitting the budget. Since perfromance is limited to the Procharger, I am leaning more toward the basic package with the interior upgrade now. Still thinking of adding the LCA's but the interior upgrade eats most of the budget up for anything else. Wish I could just click all the boxes but that might also buy me a long term visit to the doghouse. We don't have a dog or doghouse but I am sure if I did that the wife would personally build one for me.

The base package is a great value in my opinion and adds everything I want. So at this point I am looking at the interior package, GT4 Wheels in black, LCA's, and maybe the driveshaft. If I sacrifice anything it will probably be the driveshaft. If the interior option falls through due to mismatch, then I go to plan B whatever that is (TBD).

Thanks again guys ..

Jer, I appreciate you coming in with the great advice. I will definately get with the sales group soon for the build details, timing and questions.

You're welcome & Thanks to you too.

Nice GT500!!

The last time I called SAI, the all-matte-black GTS wheels were $275 each. (no tires.) I don't know who makes them. Wouldn't it be great if they were BBS wheels like the Ford GT?

Yeah, that would be the best. I looked those up once. I blushed at the price tag. I ordered the ones I have off the internet with Nitto tires and staggered. Sure made the car stand out. I got the chorme set because no black version was available. For ride quality and traction this was a great upgrade for the car. The old F1's were starting to give me trouble with going out of round and beginning to dry out and crack. Traction was a thing of the past. Arizona is a tough place for batteries and tires. The car sat for almost a year after I had a little medical issue. I blame long term storage for the problems, not the tires.

Edit .. If could have got them in black for $275 that set would be on the Shelby today. Not much more than I paid for what I have now. Think they go for $200 each.

Jer, I appreciate you coming in with the great advice. I will definately get with the sales group soon for the build details, timing and questions.

We LOVE customizing the packages, it's our chance to make the car "yours". The best cars we build are the ones that PERFECTLY match the customer.

Thanks for your support,

Jer

So now for a couple of questions.

1. Is the exhaust axle or cat back. Also which mufflers are included. I have the S Type now and they are ok but boarder on loud. They will come off before I send it over to be sold at a bargain when I put the stock exhaust back on.

2. Next question is about the base package. When I select options the wheels are automatically added. It looks like they are included in the 10,500 base cost. Just checking.

My GTS got the Borla Touring Axlebacks. They are plenty loud for me as I have business applications where I have the car, and anything louder can be problematic.

Wheels. It is my understanding that to get different wheels, you have to add the wheel and tire package. I could be wrong. I chose the wheel and tire package.

I seem to remember somewhere in this thread you posting about color match with the interior package, or maybe it was someone else's thread.

Speaking only for my Grabber Blue exterior with blue insert seat types, they don't match, meaning the inserts are not Grabber Blue.

There was some concern expressed by SAI at the time I selected Pacific Blue for the seat insert color that I might be unhappy with the match.

That said, my wife was in Vegas for a billiard tournament during my selection process and went to visit SAI and have a look at the seat insert color. Yes, they are not a match but my wife said it worked very well so we proceeded.

When I took delivery of my Shelby, I am glad I selected the Pacific Blue, it works really well and I am happy.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks lbj

Beginning to think the wheel & tires are extra even though when building from the site, it looks like they are included. When it totals you even see tire tax. A little misleading but when you do the math, I doubt the tires are included at 10500. I know the web page is more or less for ballparking anyway so not depending on it to be perfect. I do find it funny that the wheel option is not on the list for either the V6 or V8. I assume there is an "official" build sheet somewhere that is used for the order.

I would prefer the Borla touring over the "S" series so that is a good thing. What I have don't sound bad but too loud for my taste. I deal with it now because it is such a PIA to take them off.

It is looking more like I will just chose the interior package and stop there as long as I get a match for the base color. Stone is an odd color so I have to be careful. The inserts will be black so that should work with anything. I just don't want the main seat color to be different from the rest of the interior. I only have a set amount I am willing to spend, but also know I can always add more later especially LCA's and wheels.

For the wheels I already have a great combination that will work till I do something different. They are the right color 18" and the same Patentman has on his. Actually the MCA wheels are one of the best offered by Ford in my opinion.

The car is still with the dealer for the TSB so waiting on that. they had to order parts so not going to get it back till Friday or Saturday. Sure hope it works out. Most who have it done say it is night an day different. I know that was the case when I had the infamous clutch TSB done to the GT500. Anyone here who owns an 07 - 09 knows exactly what I am talking about.

Ok .. later guys have a good one

Gotmytoy, GT4 rims and F1 Goodyears are ~$2100. I ordered 19" rims and was told that was what I would get. Imagine my surprise when the car showed up with 18" rims. When I inquired as to where my 19" rims were I was told that GT4 do not come in 19". I wasn't a happy camper. As I read on here before ... it all comes down to the salesperson. My second salesperson was Richard Valdes ... you cannot go wrong with him in my humble opinion. The rims look awesome on the car though I think 19" would look better. For some reason they fill up the wheel well much better. Of course that's just my opinion once again.

There is absolutely, positively, nothing behind the brake duct inlets on the front fascia if you did not get the brake cooling get installed. I wish that the screening on them, and the heat extract hood, were made in black to match the car but to tell you the truth you really don't notice it. Your car is MCA so I'm sure it already has gauges. I just installed A pillar gauges on mine and it's very nice!

One last note. I ordered the GT500 shifter knob and received it today. At the risk of sounding like a total moron ... how in the world do you install that damn thing??? I thought it would simply be a, "screw on and screw off" deal but it came with a bunch of adapters ... and none of them seem to fit. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Just so you know, I've replaced many complete shifters with either Barton or MGW and never had an issue. I really don't get this one.

Gotmytoy, GT4 rims and F1 Goodyears are ~$2100. I ordered 19" rims and was told that was what I would get. Imagine my surprise when the car showed up with 18" rims. When I inquired as to where my 19" rims were I was told that GT4 do not come in 19". I wasn't a happy camper. As I read on here before ... it all comes down to the salesperson. My second salesperson was Richard Valdes ... you cannot go wrong with him in my humble opinion. The rims look awesome on the car though I think 19" would look better. For some reason they fill up the wheel well much better. Of course that's just my opinion once again.

There is absolutely, positively, nothing behind the brake duct inlets on the front fascia if you did not get the brake cooling get installed. I wish that the screening on them, and the heat extract hood, were made in black to match the car but to tell you the truth you really don't notice it. Your car is MCA so I'm sure it already has gauges. I just installed A pillar gauges on mine and it's very nice!

One last note. I ordered the GT500 shifter knob and received it today. At the risk of sounding like a total moron ... how in the world do you install that damn thing??? I thought it would simply be a, "screw on and screw off" deal but it came with a bunch of adapters ... and none of them seem to fit. Any ideas would certainly be appreciated. Just so you know, I've replaced many complete shifters with either Barton or MGW and never had an issue. I really don't get this one.

Thanks for the info on the tires and wheels. I think they look great in black on red and know they will look good with silver since I already have something similar. Might have to stay with the stockers for a bit. A few too medical bills piled up and whacked my toy fund a bit. Got to chose between interior or wheels but can't do both.

Man that is wierd about the shift knob. Bet I have done 20 over the years and you screw the old off and put the new one on. I replaced mine on the GT500 and purchased from SA. I had to buy two parts. The shifter boot retainer and the knob itself. The stock knob did require some force to get it off but once started it was fine and took about 10 minutes to install. The only stick we have is the Shelby so can't speak for how it is done on a 11+. Wish I could be more help, but also sure there is someone here who as done it before. Has to be the same as a late model GT500 or close.

This is what I bought and from the description it fits 11+ Mustangs

http://www.shelbysto...z-7213-brbk.htm

http://www.shelbysto...-7213-w6-75.htm

It should look like the picture attached when finished. I snatched the image from AFM and it looks just like what I have in the Shelby. Did you get the boot adapter?

I also noticed the screens on the hood and ducts were silver. Can't say I like it that much especially the hood since you look at it constantly. Guess it could be removed and painted. Nothing behind the ducts might make rigging fogs a pain. I was thinking if there was a sleeve that the hose slipped over I could machine an adapter to hold the foglights and attach that way. Guess you can't have it all so not that big a deal.

Good luck with the shift knob.

post-29865-0-35864800-1350630759_thumb.jpg

post-29865-0-35864800-1350630759_thumb.jpg

You'll love this. When I ordered the 2011+ GT500 shifter knob I clicked on their link to exactly the same retainer just to make sure that their hotlink didn't state I needed the retainer for my 2011. Unless I'm missing something, I didn't read any reference that says I need a retainer for this shifter knob on my 2011. The SAI site says this shifter knob, "fits 2005-2009 GT500s or the 2011-2013 V6 and GT with leather wrapped shifter knob". Neither of those apply to me since I ordered for the knob for my 2011 GT500. I figured that this must be a direct bolt on. Well, low and behold, I need the retainer! Last night I went to order the CORRECT retainer for $21.99, not the one SAI failed to mention, and discovered that I would have to pay $26.92 in shipping.

I called SAI today and laid out the details above. They didn't care that thier site is incorrect, I would have to pay for additional shipping. ??? When I ordered the sifter ball I also ordered an aluminum gas cap for my GTS. Total shipping cost for both items was $29.13. The retainer could have easily been dropped into the box for little to no additional shipping costs. I'm trying to figure out how the customer gets penalized for the lack of sales information on the SAI site, especially since I took the time to click on thier hot link and read the details?

BTW, I had the GTS up on jacks last night to tighten the bolts around the rear aluminum girdle and wanted to see if I could actually see behind the front bumper without disassembly. It appears that there is a small lip that goes around the brake duct intakes. Since I'm not an engineer I'm not sure if you could fashion a bracket to fit on it ... but after 30+ years in the Army I've seen engineers do some pretty amazing things!!!

You'll love this. When I ordered the 2011+ GT500 shifter knob I clicked on their link to exactly the same retainer just to make sure that their hotlink didn't state I needed the retainer for my 2011. Unless I'm missing something, I didn't read any reference that says I need a retainer for this shifter knob on my 2011. The SAI site says this shifter knob, "fits 2005-2009 GT500s or the 2011-2013 V6 and GT with leather wrapped shifter knob". Neither of those apply to me since I ordered for the knob for my 2011 GT500. I figured that this must be a direct bolt on. Well, low and behold, I need the retainer! Last night I went to order the CORRECT retainer for $21.99, not the one SAI failed to mention, and discovered that I would have to pay $26.92 in shipping.

I called SAI today and laid out the details above. They didn't care that thier site is incorrect, I would have to pay for additional shipping. ??? When I ordered the sifter ball I also ordered an aluminum gas cap for my GTS. Total shipping cost for both items was $29.13. The retainer could have easily been dropped into the box for little to no additional shipping costs. I'm trying to figure out how the customer gets penalized for the lack of sales information on the SAI site, especially since I took the time to click on thier hot link and read the details?

BTW, I had the GTS up on jacks last night to tighten the bolts around the rear aluminum girdle and wanted to see if I could actually see behind the front bumper without disassembly. It appears that there is a small lip that goes around the brake duct intakes. Since I'm not an engineer I'm not sure if you could fashion a bracket to fit on it ... but after 30+ years in the Army I've seen engineers do some pretty amazing things!!!

Wow, that does seem odd that they wouldn't work with you on the descrepancy. I have ordered a bunch of parts from them in the past and usually have good luck with their customer service if something goes south. I did have one occassion where a part didn't fit. They couldn't do anything about it so rather than deal with returning the whole thing, I took it to work and fixed it myself.

I can certainly understand your frustration. Especially when you factor in shipping for you costs more than the part itself. I see the same issue you describe at Shelby and other part sources regarding poor specs and lacking information. Some places are better than others for sure. Sure hope this works out and you get the shifter fixed up.

Hey thanks for checking behing the ducts. So there is a lip behind that opening. Figured there might be. That may open the door for the fog lights. Once I see it, I can have the other half fire up the CAD system and we can design something to fit (maybe). Really depends on how much material I have to work with back there. Once I order the package, I may ask someone there to take a few photos and ask for a couple of dimensions.

Oh, as a little update. My car is back from the dealer. They perfromed TSB 11-11-11 and it sure made a difference in shifting with the auto. Almost like a new car again. It lost the shift flare between gears and seems like shifts are really on the mark and solid. It is great on all except the shift to 3rd. It is still wandering right after it shifts. You can hear it lose RPM and then recover and move through the rest of the shift points just fine. It does this for about 5 seconds after the shift. Very noticable and only does it in 3rd gear. Sure hope they can get it right and already let them know it is coming back. Getting the transmisison fixed is my goal before making the final decision on the GTS. I would hate to put the package on a car with a bad transmission. The good part of this is I have a great dealer and service department. If anyone can fix it they will.

If not, I have my eye on a left over 2012 GT that is loaded. The dealer is telling me they will make a smoking deal on it. Identical to mine except black interior and the 5.0. It would eventually make the trip to SA, but not for a while. I would end up spending most of my conversion money getting it and spend at least another year saving up again.

I'm so happy with the V6 that I've threatened to get a 5.0 and send it off to SAI to my wife. We have 3 kids ... and 2 Shelby's, something will have give. My wife loves her V6 but won't drive it to work because she's afraid someone may ding it. That's why we have insurance!! If I don't get a 5.0 then I'll get another AT V6 but have it Procharged this time since it will be my car to drive. Two of the cars will have to have ATs since my girls refuse to drive MTs. My son, on the other hand, loves MTs and drives an '03 Mustang 5 speed.

I saw the TSBs for the AT but I wasn't having any problems so I didn't do anything. What problems were you having ... same as what you still experience in 3d? I noted my AT was swimming through shifts before I had 3.73s and an aluminum DS installed. Once the tune was added everything was fixed! Once you turn off traction control I have no problems burning rubber going into 2d.

Swimming .. perfect description for the 3rd gear problem. Before the TSB each shift would feel like the stall converter was slipping. The RPM would rev 200 high or more then it would shift. They call that shift flare. Mainly did it on the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear shift and then the swimming in 3rd gear would start like it is doing now. It was very noticable, especially with the loud S-Type Borlas's. It would also lurch forward coming to a stop if you didn't stand on the brakes a little. Last symptom was a lag when put in reverse. It would take the car a couple of seconds to move when put in gear to back up. With the TSB all of that went away except the problem in 3rd gear wandering around before it begins to accelerate. Ford also corrected all of this on models built after 12/20/2010. My wifes 5.0 has the same problem. Actually 2 TSB on hers. Both are fixed now and we pick it up tomorrow. Her car was special ordered and built in June of 2010 and mine was built in October.

I have heard a tune works wonders on the autos but didn't want to do it without adding the aluminum drive shaft. That video of the car on the dyno blowing the shaft over at AFM was enough for me to pay attention lol. Also saw another blow at 140 after a tune. I will never understand why Ford put that POS in the car and speed limited it to comphensate.

The 2012 5.0 is almost too good a deal to walk away from but it means another 6 months before I could even consider the GTS again. It will cost me about the same money to trade the up. There is good and bad on both sides of it. Getting the 12 means I get the 5.0, factory navigation, comfort package, rear camera and black interior. All are things I don't have in the MCA. The bad is they have put over the top stripes and some awful looking bullet wheels on it. All of that would have to go because it looks pretty bad to me. I like the looks of my car much more than that one.

I feel the same way your wife does about my GT500. Got it insured to the moon but still only take it to special events and weekend drives. It only has 5000 miles on it. Still smells like new inside. Phoenix is hard on cars. All landscaping is rock and dirt along the roads not to mention less than skilled drivers at every corner. If I do the V6, different story. It will be driven every day. I will give it the respect it deserves to keep it nice but not going to worry about it. Already have one for that.

I must have seen the same video on the DS that you saw ... plus the video of the guy recording himself taking the car over 130 and then the DS lets go. I don't mind getting into the gas to take the car to 100 or so but the back off. However, seeing those two events on video made me order the DS immediately. And since I was going to put on the DS it only made sense to add gears. If I'm adding gears I must have the tune to fix the speedometer (that SAI and the local Ford dealer couldn't fix) to compensate for the SAI tires and the new gears! I told the AM Bama tuners to set the shifts to fast and hard. I'm pretty happy with what I got.

I think I'm done with updates to the GTS for the most part. I'm just waiting for my wife to agree to add a Procharger ... I hope ... and that will pretty much be the only thing I have left to do on the car. I'm not sure I'll have SAI do the install since Procharger recommends two places here to do installs.

Archived