TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford GT photo shoot at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO

twobjshelbys

Our local Shelby Club (mostly Mustangs) had a gathering this morning so I decided to use the opportunity to take the GT down to Red Rocks in Morrison. This is a world class concert location - many bands like The Grateful Dead, Stevie Nicks (when Joe Walsh and Stevie took a little trip to Boulder, check out the story about Joe's daughter), and tons of others. Really, this place is one of the most awesome music centers in the country. Even the Amazing Race show started and finished there in their Season 9 arc. The great thing about it is that is also a park - that opens at 5AM, and one of the most awesome places to take car pictures too. At sunup there is one place in the park that I've used for years to take car pictures. It's best in the fall or spring when the sun is in the south and you get a remarkable "glow" off the sandstone.

It's spooky, but this place is about 20 miles away, and I love it.

This morning I was there at 6:45. The sun was up but the weather was changing - I had about 1 hour before the clouds came in.

Here's the best.

So this is at about 7:00. The sun is just coming up so the colors are what you see at dawn.

First, I had some helpers. When I pulled up into "the bowl" I use there was a herd of about 20 deer muching on the grass. The herd split when I pulled up but these guys and gals hung around.

DSC_3273.jpg

Some people would want to photoshop these to adjust the color temperature, but I was there and this what at it was. I call it the "glow". The sun at this time of the year comes up and hits these rocks and it just feels "warm" even though the temps were only in the 50s. When I left home it was 51 and cloudy. The roads were wet and I couldn't see in this light that the car was actually filthy from road grime. As it got brighter I got out the Ice detailer and cleaned the rockers.

DSC_3275.jpg

Now I'm in the shade. It's still good light but there is no direct sun. The light is reflecting off the top of the rocks so there is still good light. I love how the Gulf Blue "glows" in this light. It is, I think, a perfect color.

DSC_3276.jpg

DSC_3279.jpg

DSC_3281.jpg

See the helpers in the background?

DSC_3282.jpg

By now the sun is coming up and starting to change the color. I think this is one of my favorites. By the way, camera is a Nikon D700. A few minor adjustments for exposure is all for these. No Photoshop magic, just what I would have done with exposure adjustments in the darkroom in 1972. Also note the incredible dynamic range - highlight to shadow - this is the perfect camera.

DSC_3288.jpg

More in the "glow".

DSC_3299.jpg

DSC_3300.jpg

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3311.jpg

DSC_3313.jpg

I had some more helpers. A few years ago there was a huge bee hive in the cliffs. Now there are doves.

DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3322.jpg

I'm collecting signatures. Bob Bondurant is one of Carroll Shelby's drivers from the 60's and now runs his driving school in Arizona (and now, Pueblo, CO). Carroll's wive Cleo also signed. I'm going to pull one of the struts over the winter for Camilo to sign :)

DSC_3329.jpg

These (and a few others that I didn't post) are with the clamshell up. I thought the reflection of the supercharger in the glass was cool, Sort of artsy craftsy.

DSC_3334.jpg

DSC_3335.jpg

• 3 months later...

How about putting it to more track use? Might also solve your garage parking problem! I'm working with some friends on a new club track which is going in out by DIA. It's called Altezza Motorsports Park. They actually own the property and are just about through all the permiting. They are to start dirt work soon and are hoping to have the track done by the end of the year. They are doing pre-sales on garages and packages now. I can get you contacts if you'd be interested.

www.altezzamp.com

I'm working with them on a event for 2014 right now for Team Shelby and local Mustang Clubs.

Those pictures are great, but I only have one problem about the car. ITS NOT MINE! Seriously, those picture are beautiful! Way to go. I think you should go 1 step farther than the calender. See if a poster company can make a poster size for us dreamers to hang on a garage wall and dream. Till then, I will be looking out for the calender. Any way of finding out where these calenders will be sold at?

Link to calendars. They are the product of the Ford GT Forum. Dave "DBK" and Camilo Pardo (the father of the Ford GT) are the producers. Some of the photos are by Camilo, some by the rest of us.

It's limited production, but there are still some left.

Each is signed by Camilo.

Linky:

http://fordgtforum.myshopify.com/collections/artwork/products/2013-camilo-pardo-ford-gt-forum-calendar

How about putting it to more track use? Might also solve your garage parking problem! I'm working with some friends on a new club track which is going in out by DIA. It's called Altezza Motorsports Park. They actually own the property and are just about through all the permiting. They are to start dirt work soon and are hoping to have the track done by the end of the year. They are doing pre-sales on garages and packages now. I can get you contacts if you'd be interested.

www.altezzamp.com

I'm working with them on a event for 2014 right now for Team Shelby and local Mustang Clubs.

Depends on what the track looks like. I'm very concerned about a lot of "road rash".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived