TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JLT's CC/OS improvement?

440sprint

Per Mullins: "This is after 15,000 miles with no separator. Imagine what it would look like at 150k."

What were ur driving conditions & the length of time that it took to get that 15k miles?

How did ur SC look? How about inspecting the drivers side air intake, TB to SC, for oil there.

Do u plan to clean ur IC? Ur SC? How? Were u shocked?

Thanks, Mullins, u have made my CC/OS resolve resolute!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Mullins: "This is after 15,000 miles with no separator. Imagine what it would look like at 150k."

What were ur driving conditions & the length of time that it took to get that 15k miles?

How did ur SC look? How about inspecting the drivers side air intake, TB to SC, for oil there.

Do u plan to clean ur IC? Ur SC? How? Were u shocked?

Thanks, Mullins, u have made my CC/OS resolve resolute!

1. It took me about 11/2 yrs to get to 15k miles. Normal driving conditions, no track or hard use,

2. SC lobes had some oil, but no build-up. SC intake and plenum had oil coating the bottom.

3. TB had oil on the back (SC side) of the blades but none on the front. Intake before the TB was clean.

4. Car was traded, but if I was keeping it I would have definitely cleaned the TB and IC. Having that gunk on parts that are supposed to move only air is unacceptable. I would have cleaned them with good old fashioned carb cleaner.

5. I expected some oil, but yes, I was shocked at the amount.

IMO there is no need for a drivers side separator. All the oil fouling on my engine was from the passenger side PVC. I have never heard of anyone collecting any significant amount of oil from the drivers side.

On my '13 I run the Bobs set up. I put it on as soon as I got the car home. Thanks for taking the time and good luck in your testing. If you can make the JLT as efficient as Bobs, kudos to you.

That sounds promising. Can you provide some info on the product or a part number so I can find it at my Auto Zone. Thank You,

42991.jpgIt is the same material that is used in these older style oil breathers, Autozone sells them in different sizes.

I don't have a part number, but you can go to Autozone and pick one up. I bought a 5 " diameter one for around 3.00 dollars, Comes by itself no housing.

Cut it to the size I wanted and layered it in the catch can 3 deep.

42991.jpgIt is the same material that is used in these older style oil breathers, Autozone sells them in different sizes.

I don't have a part number, but you can go to Autozone and pick one up. I bought a 5 " diameter one for around 3.00 dollars, Comes by itself no housing.

Cut it to the size I wanted and layered it in the catch can 3 deep.

Thank You, I will get down to Auto Zone to pick up a couple.

Thank You, I will get down to Auto Zone to pick up a couple.

Okay, Looked at my catch can after about 50 miles. Still getting oil past the can.

Not as much is making it by, new filter media catching some of it. But more than I would like to get by.

I am still going to try a few other things to improve this design, My goal is to make it a 100% stop for oil blow by

into the intake if possible, without decreasing the pressure from the crankcase vent.

This may or may not be possible, I don't know. But I have plenty of time to try different things.

I will keep you all posted of my efforts. If I find a way to do it using the JLT CatchCan, I will post pictures and

tell you how to make it work.

Hopefully the Shelby Catch Can will address this issue if I can't figure it out. B)

Okay, Looked at my catch can after about 50 miles. Still getting oil past the can.

Not as much is making it by, new filter media catching some of it. But more than I would like to get by.

I am still going to try a few other things to improve this design, My goal is to make it a 100% stop for oil blow by

into the intake if possible, without decreasing the pressure from the crankcase vent.

This may or may not be possible, I don't know. But I have plenty of time to try different things.

I will keep you all posted of my efforts. If I find a way to do it using the JLT CatchCan, I will post pictures and

tell you how to make it work.

Hopefully the Shelby Catch Can will address this issue if I can't figure it out. B)

Jim, how do u determine the amount of oil that makes it past the CC? With the JLT snapped off the engine, I remove the can, hold my JLT ass'y over a rag with the SC end down & wait for any oil to run out. At 150 mi without the added filter media, 1drop came out after about a 1min wait. With the added media, no oil came out after a 2 min hold time. I rolled a paper towel into a pencil shape, screwed it into the SC end as far as I could (about 3") & collected a small hint of oil on the paper. This was after 150 mi with the new media in the can!

Simply going by the oil I see in the tube at the nipple to the Intake.

I just finished testing of a JLT Oil CC with a Aluminum tube that extends into the bottom of the catch can.

I left about 1/4" off the tube so it would not touch the bottom. I then added filter media by punching a hole through the media

to allow the tube to extend into the bottom of the can below the filter media.

I than filled the catch can with about 2 tablespoons of 2 cycle oil which is lighter than regular motor oil.

I than pressurized the can to about 50 PSI for about 30 seconds, I repeated this several times

and watched for signs that the oil was coming out of the intake side of the catch can.

No oil came out at all, in fact only the first two media filters had any oil on them, the third was dry.

I believe because the media filter is now after the oil tube I put in, the oil can't escape as easily through

the Filter

I am now going to try it on the car to see if it will work as it did off the car with the air compressor.

I figure that I was putting a lot more pressure into the can than the car ever would, taking also into

account the vacuum that is pulled from the intake side.

So Now for the final test, I hope this works, I have taken pictures of the parts I am using and will follow up

with more if it works. Details will be included on how to modify the can for those that are interested.

Jim, how did u connect the tube into the can lid's input hole. I have been working on inserting into that input hole a hollow tube to extend 1/2 down thru the added can media, or using a multiple perforated tube extending thru the media to almost the can bottom, but have been testing with just the added can media filling the can loosely top to bottom.

I'm looking forward to ur test results!

I read somewhere that the wire going to the PCV valve was for the computer controlled on/off PVC valve in order to permit only "positive" crankcase ventilation. If it monitors the airflow, that might influence my improvement. It could possibly allow me to add more filter media & back off if I throw a code.

Does anyone (Snoopy speciality) know what this PVC wire monitors or controls? I use a clean length of plastic pipe to blow into the JLT ass'y @ the PCV end & compare that to the OEM ass'y. There is now at this stage of my improvement a negligible back pressure to my breath.

Do you guys think the extra media will cause a problem with airflow? There is a sensor on the PVC but I'm not sure if it measures CFM or if it will throw a code if there is a restriction.

From the testing I have done, I don't notice a change in airflow.

The filter media I am using is actually used for PVC blow by, so restriction in minimal.

Jim, how did u connect the tube into the can lid's input hole. I have been working on inserting into that input hole a hollow tube to extend 1/2 down thru the added can media, or using a multiple perforated tube extending thru the media to almost the can bottom, but have been testing with just the added can media filling the can loosely top to bottom.

I'm looking forward to ur test results!

I used a 3/8 Diameter aluminum tube cut down to the size I wanted.

After filing the end down where I cut it, I used a punch to open the end up slightly, than pressed it into the hole in the lid.

I can still pull it out if needed, and it stays in place under vibration.

I think I need to research more on the PVC Sensor though, Want to find out what it does. Airflow or blockage? what

PSI does it throw a code at? if it does at all.

• 3 weeks later...

2200 mi on my Shelby now. 200 mi since my last report on my JLT/CC with the 3M filter media inside.

I don't know if it was the low NOACK oil that I changed to at 750 mi or that I passed 2k mi on the engine, but upon inspecting my JTL set-up, I could collect only a small amount of oil on a single paper towel when wiping inside the can & both tube ends & soaking up most of the oil collected in the added media!

Was anyone able to determine if the wire going to the PCV valve was an on/off switch or a pressure sensor? Did that control somehow affect my blow-by?

If my oil stays looking as clean as it looks now, I'll wait until I've driven 6 mo. (in Jan) to change my oil the second time.

YorbaRaptor Jim, how is your testing with the PCV filter media going? I did edge-punch 1/4" holes in my media & lined up the holes under the can's input in order to have the blow-by penetrate more of the media before exiting the can (somewhat like you did). I also tightened up the media against the can's exit by placing a small metal spacer at the bottom of the can under the media, also giving a bottom space for possible oil to gather. Before re-installing the ass'y, I blow into the JLT's PCV end & feel no obstruction & almost no back-pressure to a strong breath.

My Shelby performs FLAWLESSLY in my opinion, although I now drive ultra-conservatively with wifey so she will ride with me! My new MPSS's REALLY HELP!

• 3 weeks later...

I performed my JLT CC/OS (with added filter media) cleanout/inspection today, 240 miles since last performed. My Shelby now has 2440 fun miles on it!

Again, there was only a light sheen of oil wiped out of the JLT assembly's SC end. Compressing each of the four round filter pads one at a time inside a paper towel, I got (probably 15 total) small imprints of oil droplets. I used the same paper towel to wipe out the can & collected about another drop total.

I'm not getting as much blow-by oil as in the beginning (1.7k miles and less) without any CC or OS. The only engine changes that I've made are to replace the OE air cleaner at 2k mi with an Air-Raid oil-less, and I replaced the oil at 750 mi. with Castrol Edge!

I re-assembled my JLT assy, blew thru it to verify no restriction, then re-installed in on my Trinity's engine. I then took it for a drive in the rain for the first time with my new MPSS tires! The engine ran flawlessly & the wet tires would hook waaaay beyond the ability my OE GY's!

Thanks to Tob for the pic & Snoopy for the labeling, we now have a pic of the inside or our valve covers showing the factory blow-by baffles. I assume that this is the reason that the factory does not think that anything else is needed to keep oil out of our SC's, IC's & heads. See post #38 at this link.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/894033-our-heads-interesting-2.html#post12465797

With 2500 miles now on my Trinity engine, I am finding less blow-by everywhere in my JLT assembly than I caught at less than 1500 miles. The engine now being broken in should produce less blow-by. I did change to a low NOACK oil at 750 miles!

I will still be reporting my JLT ass'y cleanings & improvement mods on this thread. Without any additional info, I'm still assuming that the wire leading to the PCV valve is operating only an on-off function there.

Archived