TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JLT's CC/OS improvement?

440sprint

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but do the Bob's separators connect as well as JLT's? The JLT's seem to have OE connectors.

I'm going to buy an oil separator I'm just trying to decide which.

The JLT comes with everything you need, just unplug and plug in the JLT unit. Bobs you reuse the original connectors. It just takes a little more work on your part. Same connectors tho.

Thanks afdharley! That makes sense. Is it pretty easy to make the swap?

Others have said it was easy. Mine will be done in a few weeks, parts are ordered.

The OE connectors that are reused have a barb on them so all you need is a simple hose clamp. Some folks are getting fancy and using the gates heat shrink clamps. Totally up to you. Cheap route would work just as well.

Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but do the Bob's separators connect as well as JLT's? The JLT's seem to have OE connectors.

The BOB's unit re-uses your OEM connectors, so yes, once you have removed those connectors from the OEM hose and attached the BOB's hose (or user provided like some of us have done)to them... the Bob's oil seperator unit attaches to the engine just like OEM. At that point it's plug and play, just like the OEM hoses.

As an alternative you could buy a new set of OEM hoses and scavenge the fittings, or you can buy aftermarket replacement fittings that connect to the engine in OEM fashion.

The JLT has the plug and play out of the box part down well….it’s the whole separation of oil from the air flow part it’s not so good at.

I'm trying to improve the JLT since it snaps on easily with the OEM connectors exactly like stock & looks best, but the harder-to-install, unmodified Bob's reportedly collects more blow-by. My experiment & YorbaRaptor's experiment with added JLT can filter media are under way. My added 3M scrub-pad filter media is getting oil soaked & doesn't look damaged or degraded after being in the can now for 50 miles.

Good luck with the experiment 440! I'll look forward to the results. Btw I noticed in some pictures I saw of the Shelby 1000 engine that they are running 2 JLT oil separators. Should it give me comfort that SAI trusts JLT?

No lol. Bobs is FAR superior. JLT is just easy to install.

For those using the catch cans from Bob's or JLT would you please post a photo of the top portion of the kit so that we can see the filtering media. It will be interesting to see if they use the same filtering media or if they use a different density of media.

Thank You

Good question...since it is a known issue..

Probably because our engines aren't going to blow up just because we don't have a catch can. This just cures us OCD folk and thats about it. Ford racing is into making things with solid performance gains.

Probably because our engines aren't going to blow up just because we don't have a catch can. This just cures us OCD folk and thats about it. Ford racing is into making things with solid performance gains.

Your really off base... but as you seem closed minded, I'll not waste time telling you why. If your actually interested in knowing why keeping a significant amount of oil from entering the air charge and coating the intercooler.. ask, but for now.... your just showing ignorance and closed mindedness.

For those using the catch cans from Bob's or JLT would you please post a photo of the top portion of the kit so that we can see the filtering media. It will be interesting to see if they use the same filtering media or if they use a different density of media.

Thank You

http://i809.photobuc...0ShelbyNM/3.jpg

3.jpg

Your really off base... but as you seem closed minded, I'll not waste time telling you why. If your actually interested in knowing why keeping a significant amount of oil from entering the air charge and coating the intercooler.. ask, but for now.... your just showing ignorance and closed mindedness.

Well there are the obvious reasons such as detonation and lower octane. I wasn't being close minded. I was just saying if it was THAT big a problem ford would have addressed. But given how 07 shelbys haven't died at 70k plus miles, is it nice to have yea? Yea it is. Is it 100% necessary as in your engine will fail without it? No.

Maybe if we drive our cars to 150k and over miles we will see the difference between having an oil separator on at the beginning and not. But for the vast majority of owners who sell before 100k miles again its not an ignorant statement to say FRPP doesn't see the need same as ford.

Unless ford and FRPP are now ignorant and close minded? You see what I am saying?

Thank you so much for posting this photo. Which product is this one? From the photo the filtering material looks like very course metal shavings from a lathe. It is curious how such a course material can function as a coalescing filter under pressure.

Thank you so much for posting this photo. Which product is this one? From the photo the filtering material looks like very course metal shavings from a lathe. It is curious how such a course material can function as a coalescing filter under pressure.

That is a prototype of the Bobs unit.. and it is stainless steel mesh.... unlike the JLT unit that has to be disassembled to drain. The BOB's unit is not, you simply open the valve.. As such, I doubt most will have opened there's to take a picture.. More so now that they come powder coated...No reason to risk damaging the finish on a great working oil separator just to take a picture.

Is it an advantage to have the drain valve instead of removing the whole can? I'm eager to put one on the car and still trying to determine the best road to take. Thanks

I think so.. you put a small plastic cup (can lid, medicine cup, ect) under the valve every oil change, open, let drain for 30 sec, close, and dump a bunch of oil in your drain pain.

Of course as the JLT does not really collect oil,, there is a limited need to disassemble it to empty :hysterical:

This must be a pic of Bob's inside. I have yet to learn attaching pics, but the JLT appears to use the same metal shavings filter, just a smaller amount & is housed located at the can's top gas exit instead of across the full can diameter. My added filter filter media completely fills my JLT can, just touching the can inside top where the blow-by inlet & exit metal filter are when the can is screwed back on the top.

Emptying the Bob's with the valve seems convenient, but the 30 sec removal of the JTL can assy to drain & clean all will take no longer than the struggle to properly place a cup under the hot Bob's next to the exhaust manifold & wait for a drain IMO! I can flush/clean the entire JLT can/hoses/connectors assy with the added filter media easily. Do that in less than an hour with the Bob's, which is screwed & clamped on with hoses draped across the valve/plug cover!

I just did a 30 sec JLT can inspection of my added filter media at 75 miles of usage & all's well! The added media is getting oil soaked where the blow-by enters the can, so I know that the 3M scratch pad media is gathering oil & is not yet degrading from heat or chemicals. Keep monitoring this thread for future reports on my experiment. YorbaRaptor is experimenting with a Home Depot filter media in his JLT can but has low miles yet.

This must be a pic of Bob's inside. I have yet to learn attaching pics, but the JLT appears to use the same metal shavings filter, just a smaller amount & is housed located at the can's top gas exit instead of across the full can diameter. My added filter filter media completely fills my JLT can, just touching the can inside top where the blow-by inlet & exit metal filter are when the can is screwed back on the top.

Emptying the Bob's with the valve seems convenient, but the 30 sec removal of the JTL can assy to drain & clean all will take no longer than the struggle to properly place a cup under the hot Bob's next to the exhaust manifold & wait for a drain IMO! I can flush/clean the entire JLT can/hoses/connectors assy with the added filter media easily. Do that in less than an hour with the Bob's, which is screwed & clamped on with hoses draped across the valve/plug cover!

I just did a 30 sec JLT can inspection of my added filter media at 75 miles of usage & all's well! The added media is getting oil soaked where the blow-by enters the can, so I know that the 3M scratch pad media is gathering oil & is not yet degrading from heat or chemicals. Keep monitoring this thread for future reports on my experiment. YorbaRaptor is experimenting with a Home Depot filter media in his JLT can but has low miles yet.

Filter media is from Fram, Bought it at AutoZone, All it is is the filter for older model car that used a filter for the PVC Blowby in the air filter. Stacked them 3 deep after cutting to size.

Good air flow through them, almost no difference in flow. Hoping this will knock down any oil mist before it exits the can to the intake. We shall see.

Give ya all updates later, still have a few more miles to put on it till I am done testing.

Pics to follow also.

I inspected my JLT can @ 75, 100, 125, & now with 150 miles since adding the 3M media in order to catch more PVC blow-by.

To reiterate, I added 4 circle-cut layers of 3M scratch pad media to fill my JLT can in an attempt to catch more of the oil going to my SC!

The top media pad is a little soaked, some oil on the second one, none discernable on the third & fourth pads. The bottom of the can has a few spots of oil. Most importantly, the JLT assembly end which snaps onto the SC had no oil dripping out like It did after 150 miles without the added can media at which time (1750 mi on speedo) there was also 1/2 tsp of oil in the bottom of the can & oil was dripping out the assembly's SC end!

It takes all of 1 min to snap off, re-inspect & re-assemble the JLT assy. The added media shows no degradation from the temp & chemicals in the can. I'll report back every 100-250 miles on my hopefully improved JLT oil seperator. I plan to clean the assy about every 500 mi in order to measure the collected oil & report back here.

Has anyone using an oil seperator noticed that maybe the blow-by decreases as the engine is more broken in? My Trinity has 2k mi on it & should be broken-in. I've used LC thrice & gone WOT a dozen or so times since turning 1k mi! USING LC & GOING WOT ARE E-TICKET RIDES?

I will learn how to post pics if enough owners out there request a need.

Well there are the obvious reasons such as detonation and lower octane. I wasn't being close minded. I was just saying if it was THAT big a problem ford would have addressed. But given how 07 shelbys haven't died at 70k plus miles, is it nice to have yea? Yea it is. Is it 100% necessary as in your engine will fail without it? No.

Maybe if we drive our cars to 150k and over miles we will see the difference between having an oil separator on at the beginning and not. But for the vast majority of owners who sell before 100k miles again its not an ignorant statement to say FRPP doesn't see the need same as ford.

Unless ford and FRPP are now ignorant and close minded? You see what I am saying?

This is after 15,000 miles with no separator. Imagine what it would look like at 150k.

IMAG0194-1.jpg

IMAG0195-1.jpg

This is after 15,000 miles with no separator. Imagine what it would look like at 150k.

IMAG0194-1.jpg

IMAG0195-1.jpg

Yea I saw a pic earlier of something like that. I have the bobs separator right next to me on my desk. And the JLT will be shipped out to its new owner soon :)

Filter media is from Fram, Bought it at AutoZone, All it is is the filter for older model car that used a filter for the PVC Blowby in the air filter. Stacked them 3 deep after cutting to size.

Good air flow through them, almost no difference in flow. Hoping this will knock down any oil mist before it exits the can to the intake. We shall see.

Give ya all updates later, still have a few more miles to put on it till I am done testing.

Pics to follow also.

That sounds promising. Can you provide some info on the product or a part number so I can find it at my Auto Zone. Thank You,

Archived