TEAM SHELBY FORUM

JLT's CC/OS improvement?

440sprint

I went for the clean install & good looks of the JLT CC/OS about 150 mi. ago. I was checking out a new mechanic today by going over some concerns with my '13GT500 & he seemed interested in my JLT catch can. I had not pulled it off yet & it came off easily.

I unscrewed the can & was SHOCKED to see 1/2 teaspoon of oil there! The mechanic pointed out the oil DRIPPING out of the end that connects to the SC! I must say, WTF!

He looked it over & cleaned it out, saying the can needed more "catch" media & suggested something that he uses for many jobs around his shop - Scotch-Brite green scrubber layers inside the can. Wife & I use green scrubbers ALL THE TIME for cleaning & they seem to have no wear-out sluff-off material & are very filter like at about 1/4 in thick sheets.

At home I pulled out my large back stock of green scrubber material, grabbed my 1 1/2 inch socket to use as a template & cut out 4 circles using a SHARP blade. I thoroughly washed the circles & they fit perfectly stacked in my JLT can. I re-assembled the CC/OS & re-installed it on my Shelby's amazing engine!

I have concerns before operating engine. Will Scotch-Brite green scrubbers stand up to the temp & oil/chemicals in the can, possibly plugging up the can's original steel mesh? Will the crankcase PVC output be impeded too much with the extra filter media in the can? I probably will not drive with the circles installed until I am comfortable with these concerns.

I feel that adding a 5th circle would tighten the stack of new media in the can & may filter better if my above concerns are resolved & NO OIL DRIPS OUT OF THE SC END WHEN I LOOK THE NEXT TIME AFTER ANOTHER 150 mi.!!

Any serious opinions out there, PLEASE! This & tires are my two presently unresolved issues!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny that you ask this as I was wondering the exact same thing.

I have the JLT oil separator too and thought some oil may still get by the filter media

in the can.

I have thought about using the exact same media that you are thinking of using but haven't done it yet.

I would think if there are no fibers coming off of pads when you shake them or wash them they would be ok.

But I don't know about the oil and compatibility.

If they are made of the same material that is used on older model cars PVC Filter that attaches to the air filter, than I think they would be ok.

I might try to get the filter material at an auto parts store first before I would use the scrub pads. most auto parts stores should carry

the older style PVC filters.

Let me know what you come up with, I will try to get to the auto parts store this week to see if I can find the proper media filter and let you know

what I come up with.

Jim

Its funny that you ask this as I was wondering the exact same thing.

I have the JLT oil separator too and thought some oil may still get by the filter media

in the can.

I have thought about using the exact same media that you are thinking of using but haven't done it yet.

I would think if there are no fibers coming off of pads when you shake them or wash them they would be ok.

But I don't know about the oil and compatibility.

If they are made of the same material that is used on older model cars PVC Filter that attaches to the air filter, than I think they would be ok.

I might try to get the filter material at an auto parts store first before I would use the scrub pads. most auto parts stores should carry

the older style PVC filters.

Let me know what you come up with, I will try to get to the auto parts store this week to see if I can find the proper media filter and let you know

what I come up with.

Jim

Thanks, Jim!

I will take my '13 for a drive to see if it runs the same as with the empty JLT can. If high temp & oil/chemicals from PCV valve cause any short term damage to scouring pads, I will post!

Another Jim

Are you saying there is oil dripping out of the line or the can itself? It shouldn't be dripping out of the line JLT uses the exact same thing that was on there stock.

The oil came out of the end of the JLT assembly where it attaches to the SC, just where u don't want it to be!

Some years ago members and vendors had discussions about various media for the catch cans. I wish I knew how to search better because I can't find those old threads. Back then owners were making their own catch cans using glass bowls from Home Depot. The Corvette guys had some great applications that our members were trying to fit into our engine compartment.

A suggestion: You might consider soaking the scotchbrite pads in an oil-fuel mix for a day or two, then filter the mix to see what you get. I have no idea how they hold up to petrochemicals, and you're not using them in a friction environment, so you may be ok, but I've seen them break down when using them to scrub the crap out of stuff (ie, cleaning latrines and M60 parts--not the same pad...), and you can get dust and particles that probably wouldn't be good to have floating around in your intake.

A suggestion: You might consider soaking the scotchbrite pads in an oil-fuel mix for a day or two, then filter the mix to see what you get. I have no idea how they hold up to petrochemicals, and you're not using them in a friction environment, so you may be ok, but I've seen them break down when using them to scrub the crap out of stuff (ie, cleaning latrines and M60 parts--not the same pad...), and you can get dust and particles that probably wouldn't be good to have floating around in your intake.

Thanks, Husky,

I like ur soaking/filtering idea. Without friction, only the can environment could break them down. Rubbing them together produces no visible dust & nothing washed out with the good rinsing. I'll inspect the can at 5,10, 25, 50, & 100 miles & report back.

Today I decided to be sure performance wasn't affected & took a short ride with new JLT can media - no noticeable power effect!

The solution to this problem is get the shelby one when it comes out :)

Why wait? No need to pay an exorbitant price (like all things marks with that emblem) for a late comer (if some day the part comes to market), when the perfect solution is at hand now, from a known vendor.

Or direct from the maker.

The Bob's Oil separator has shown time and time again to work better than others on the market... Is available in several finishes, and is reasonably priced.

Choice seems simple.. soak your intercooler and SC with oil, or install a better product.

Bobs is the best so far. I hope the shelby one isn't the JLT one rebranded with the shelby logo since they use the JLT on the shelby 1000.

The thing with the bobs is that its ugly looking and not plug and play so thats a deterant for a lot of people. Thats why I didn't get it.

Shelbys is said to be plug and play like JLTs, I only hope though that it is not made by JLT.

Why wait? No need to pay an exorbitant price (like all things marks with that emblem) for a late comer (if some day the part comes to market), when the perfect solution is at hand now, from a known vendor.

Or direct from the maker.

The Bob's Oil separator has shown time and time again to work better than others on the market... Is available in several finishes, and is reasonably priced.

Choice seems simple.. soak your intercooler and SC with oil, or install a better product.

+1000. It sure is nice to see that some people still have perfectly logical thinking and common sense!

+1000. It sure is nice to see that some people still have perfectly logical thinking and common sense!

If shelby were to come out with a plug and play that works just as well as the bob's then common sense and logical thinking would be to wait for the shelby one.

If shelby were to come out with a plug and play that works just as well as the bob's then common sense and logical thinking would be to wait for the shelby one.

While pumping your SC and intercooler full of oil, and/or other contaminants in the mean time?

I like the looks of the JLT better but they just don't work as good. Functionality First, Looks Second.

I'll tick with Bob's until something better comes out.

I did remove the Drivers side CC. After 4000 miles I had Zero oil in it.

While pumping your SC and intercooler full of oil, and/or other contaminants in the mean time?

I like the looks of the JLT better but they just don't work as good. Functionality First, Looks Second.

I'll tick with Bob's until something better comes out.

I did remove the Drivers side CC. After 4000 miles I had Zero oil in it.

That just brought up a thought - I too have the driver's side JLT CC with ZERO oil in it - what about putting that CC in series with other CC on the passenger side? Might be a crazy idea - two catch cans in series trap twice as much oil - or is my logic faulty here?

That just brought up a thought - I too have the driver's side JLT CC with ZERO oil in it - what about putting that CC in series with other CC on the passenger side? Might be a crazy idea - two catch cans in series trap twice as much oil - or is my logic faulty here?

No, I think its a great Idea, Then you would have an idea about if any oil is getting past the first one.

The thing with the bobs is that its ugly looking and not plug and play so thats a deterant for a lot of people. Thats why I didn't get it.

Ugly looking? Hard to install, I suppose, if things like tying ones shoes or changing your Shelby’s oil is a difficult task.. Installing a Bob’s Oil Separator could be challenging (that part is said tongue in cheek.. I get it, some just want to gas it up, park in the garage they had built just for the car, and drive it 7.9 days a year.. Or just have no place they are even allowed to open a hood, let alone work on the car)

I don’t think the Bob’s separators are ugly, nor hard to install.., but opinions very…

efc39624.jpg

89ce1d5c.jpg

4621f7ed.jpg

6786194a.jpg

d1f1fe86.jpg

dsc7289n.jpg

P1010120.jpg

P1010124.jpg

I know some Shelby owners wont install a part that does not say Shelby on it, to each his own...if a advertisement Logo is what you find most important in an aftermarket part, thats fine.... not all will have that same opinion, and some, will find, that buying superior parts at a better price point is a better choice for them.

Ugly looking? Hard to install, I suppose, if things like tying ones shoes or changing your Shelby’s oil is a difficult task.. Installing a Bob’s Oil Separator could be challenging (that part is said tongue in cheek.. I get it, some just want to gas it up, park in the garage they had built just for the car, and drive it 7.9 days a year.. Or just have no place they are even allowed to open a hood, let alone work on the car)

I don’t think the Bob’s separators are ugly, nor hard to install.., but opinions very…

efc39624.jpg

89ce1d5c.jpg

4621f7ed.jpg

6786194a.jpg

d1f1fe86.jpg

dsc7289n.jpg

P1010120.jpg

P1010124.jpg

I know some Shelby owners wont install a part that does not say Shelby on it, to each his own...if a advertisement Logo is what you find most important in an aftermarket part, thats fine.... not all will have that same opinion, and some, will find, that buying superior parts at a better price point is a better choice for them.

Well its not ugly anymore because you changed everything on it. You changed the brass pieces and the hoses. And I said it is harder to install not that it is hard to install. The bobs takes 20 minutes to install while the JLT takes 2 seconds. Some people like that kind of stuff. Thats all I am saying. But yes the bobs for the same price as the JLT is way better.

Where did you get all those hoses and colored metal pieces? I may consider the bobs now if I can change those things.

Well its not ugly anymore because you changed everything on it. You changed the brass pieces and the hoses. And I said it is harder to install not that it is hard to install. The bobs takes 20 minutes to install while the JLT takes 2 seconds. Some people like that kind of stuff. Thats all I am saying. But yes the bobs for the same price as the JLT is way better.

Where did you get all those hoses and colored metal pieces? I may consider the bobs now if I can change those things.

I spoke with the owner and ordered the separator sans all install parts, because I knew I wanted something other than black hose and brass fittings.

He now sells a striped separator along with a full kit for just such an install ( ie cheaper and no wasted parts)

You can get what you need from JEGS, Summit Racing, or even Auto zone if needed, and many other local speed shops in your area.

You can read more on how I did mine, parts and such here

I have enough blue line like you see in the pics for another few set ups... if your interested, PM me. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, by like 50%

No, I think its a great Idea, Then you would have an idea about if any oil is getting past the first one.

Well I am going to give it a shot. I am out of town at NASCAR in Charlotte this weekend but will modify the passenger side lines next week and put the two CC in series. Will report back!

I spoke with the owner and ordered the separator sans all install parts, because I knew I wanted something other than black hose and brass fittings.

He now sells a striped separator along with a full kit for just such an install ( ie cheaper and no wasted parts)

You can get what you need from JEGS, Summit Racing, or even Auto zone if needed, and many other local speed shops in your area.

You can read more on how I did mine, parts and such here

I have enough blue line like you see in the pics for another few set ups... if your interested, PM me. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, by like 50%

If it looked THAT good, I could give up my JLT for a Bob's with it's hoses draped from the shock tower over to the bucking engine! Did u mean that u found a source for a complete kit like the nice one u created with the Bob's? I couldn't find it on the net.

With only 5 mi so far on my installed JLT with its added scrub-pad media, high temp & oil vapor do not appeared to have had any effect on the experimental media. From inside the JLT's top, the JLT exit screen there looks normal, too. I'll be reporting back at further mileages, looking for any media degradation & hopefully more than normal captured OIL!

Ok, please excuse my ignorance on this subject but what effect does this little bit of oil have on your car? I don't mean a non-qualifying statement like, "It can't be good for your engine because it shouldn't be there" or other such "Opinionated" statements. I want to know what the net results are. Does it shorten plug life? Does it mess up the O2 sensor? Hurt the Cats? Does anybody really know what this, I assume miniscule, amount of oil does? If it truly has some adverse effect on my vehicles I would put the system on my Saleen and Shelby. Thank you in advance on anything that you can relate that may enlighten me. :confused:

Ok, please excuse my ignorance on this subject but what effect does this little bit of oil have on your car? I don't mean a non-qualifying statement like, "It can't be good for your engine because it shouldn't be there" or other such "Opinionated" statements. I want to know what the net results are. Does it shorten plug life? Does it mess up the O2 sensor? Hurt the Cats? Does anybody really know what this, I assume miniscule, amount of oil does? If it truly has some adverse effect on my vehicles I would put the system on my Saleen and Shelby. Thank you in advance on anything that you can relate that may enlighten me. :confused:

I really don't think it does anything to be honest lol. I don't think ford would sell people an engine that was going to fail before 100k miles because of this. I was told some oil is needed for lubricant purposes?

2 main things the oil does:

1. It coats the intercooler with oil. Just a very light coating will make your IAT rise a few degrees. Overtime it build up, eventually starts clogging up the spaces between the fins on the intercooler. The intercooler becomes less and less efficient as time goes by. Meaning warmer and less air is getting pumped through the engine, robbing you of horsepower.

2. Mixing the oil with the intake air, lowers the octane of the air/fuel mixture, also robbing you of power.

Granted you would not notice the effects of this oil for many thousands of miles. But eventually it will happen over time.

It's all about keeping the engine as clean and efficient as possible.

Your engine is not going to fail because of this oil, it just will not run as well over time.

2 main things the oil does:

1. It coats the intercooler with oil. Just a very light coating will make your IAT rise a few degrees. Overtime it build up, eventually starts clogging up the spaces between the fins on the intercooler. The intercooler becomes less and less efficient as time goes by. Meaning warmer and less air is getting pumped through the engine, robbing you of horsepower.

2. Mixing the oil with the intake air, lowers the octane of the air/fuel mixture, also robbing you of power.

Granted you would not notice the effects of this oil for many thousands of miles. But eventually it will happen over time.

It's all about keeping the engine as clean and efficient as possible.

Your engine is not going to fail because of this oil, it just will not run as well over time.

Ok, I understand the clogging up the intercooler part. That makes 100% sense. I am baffeled by how it can affect octane rating. The purpose of the higher octane of premium fuel is to stop the cylinder fuel charge from pre-detonation before the spark plug fires on the compression stroke. (Ping Ping Ping) Higher compression engines are more susceptible to this as they try to compress the charge into a much more condensed area than a low compression engine. (Standard engine = 8:1, Shelby = 9:1, 2003 T-Bird 10:1) How does the oil in the cylinder charge change the octane rating. I apparently am not grasping this part of it. Well at least I understand part of your explanation and that helps me tremendously.

Archived