TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Watts Link

Madlock

Good God do I like the design of the White Line S197 Watts Link. Not a scrap of superfluous weight to be found and about as clean as "clean" gets.

My ONLY concern is the diff cover bearing the entire load in the fashion it must. The notion of it snapping at that single pivot point or affecting the diff cover seal just doesn't seem as impossible as I'd like.

The tried and true Fays designs may be heavy and not without their own potential problems but the odds and consequence of catastrophic failure just don't seem nearly as steep.

Is it just me?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good God do I like the design of the White Line S197 Watts Link. Not a scrap of superfluous weight to be found and about as clean as "clean" gets.

Link?

I've been contemplating the FAYS so anything 'new' is welcome.

Phill

Looks very NICE! I like.... I ran a watts on my '94 and loved it, but Im not 100% convinced skipping the minor axle deflection with a panhard is worth the extra parts. In theory, Im 100% behind the watts. But, Im the guy that skipped the Track Pack primarily because I don't want all the extra gear, and I'm actually going to track my car. Just one man's opinion.

EDIT: I will likely add the tranny cooler after the fact.

Google broke?

Not that I know of but had I googled "White Line S197 Watts Link" I doubt very much it would have come up with "AMERICAN MUSCLE"!

Sheesh.

Phill

Looks very NICE! I like.... I ran a watts on my '94 and loved it, but Im not 100% convinced skipping the minor axle deflection with a panhard is worth the extra parts. In theory, Im 100% behind the watts. But, Im the guy that skipped the Track Pack primarily because I don't want all the extra gear, and I'm actually going to track my car. Just one man's opinion.

EDIT: I will likely add the tranny cooler after the fact.

I hear ya. And I'm all for saving unnecessary weight whatever form it takes, but the S197 isn't really balancing on the head of a pin over a few pounds either. :)

In fact, as far as the rear suspension goes, I don't mind a little added weight for the sake of locking it in given how noseheavy the car otherwise is.

Not that I know of but had I googled "White Line S197 Watts Link" I doubt very much it would have come up with "AMERICAN MUSCLE"!

Sheesh.

Phill

It's not like it's hiding only behind some kind of American Muscle Rosetta Stone.

Sheesh back. With an Oy Vey kicker.

Hey guys!

Making some forum rounds and saw this so I thought I would drop a quick note and clarify.

Our watts linkage does not pivot through a single bolt. It had a unique design where the load is shared evenly over the 6 points of the brace that bolt to the diff cover. The weight is not very much extra, the entire unit weighs about 29 lbs, keep in mind it replaces the panhard, rear chassis brace and diff cover so a good amount of that is offset.

It's not like it's hiding only behind some kind of American Muscle Rosetta Stone.

No, you're wrong. I actually did google it and all I got were a bunch of forums mentioning it. I'm already on a forum that mentioned it, I don't need to go read 5 others, thank you very much.

So yes, it IS "hiding behind some kind of American Muscle Rosetta Stone".

You probably should have googled it yourself before making such a presumptuous statement!

Sheesh back at 'cha X 3,

Phill (and no "Oy Vey Kicker")

Vorschlag Racing is racing a 2011 GT in SCCA slalom events.

It's a serious car with serious tires and the side loads during those slaloms (and track events they also run) must be quite heavy...!

They have that Whiteline watts link on their race car.

They are Whiteline & Forgestar dealers now.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57441#post57441

Vorschlag Racing is racing a 2011 GT in SCCA slalom events.

It's a serious car with serious tires and the side loads during those slaloms (and track events they also run) must be quite heavy...!

They have that Whiteline watts link on their race car.

They are Whiteline & Forgestar dealers now.

http://www.vorshlag....57441#post57441

Very nice.

The Griggs unit is specifically designed with a built in weak point that is inexpensive to repair vs. other more expensive suspension /car parts in the event of an off track excursion.

That can actually be a huge plus in terms both cost AND safety - which I discovered this summer when one side of the front suspension failed at obvious design stress points saving my wallet and most probably my bacon from much WORSE chagrin.

I must say, after receiving and inspecting the White Line Watts Link, i'm hugely impressed. Every component is weapons grade - and FAR more robust than the product description pictures are able to depict. I have NO concerns whatsoever about its robustness. And being about as elegant and "pure" a Watts design as exists for the S197 chassis, I'm very much looking forward to giving one a whirl.

My only regret SO far are the yellow bushings. It would've been much nicer if they were a more conventional Ford Blue, Red or Black. Otherwise, the entire unit is out for re-powder coat to color key it to the rest of my up-rated suspension components, and I look forward to driving the car next week with everything moved up a notch.or two suspensionwise.

Now I'm on the fence again. Was going to get the Shelby billet aluminum watts link made by Fays and now have read about the White Line. Hard choice. I'll be curious to read more reviews on both.

Now I'm on the fence again. Was going to get the Shelby billet aluminum watts link made by Fays and now have read about the White Line. Hard choice. I'll be curious to read more reviews on both.

The billet alumnium would be pure waste of money unless you are ok paying 400 extra dollars just for the bling factor. The whiteline product is superior and cost less.

Vorschlag racing is a WhiteLine dealer!!! And they are RELIABLE and KNOWLEDGEABLE.

http://www.vorshlag....products_id=526

Yea I talked to them they said its the best thing ever blah blah blah. I want normal people reviews who don't gain from telling whether its a good product or bad.

Though upon reading this article I did not know this is 29 pounds. Thats basically the same weight as the fays which people always complain about it being too heavy. Thats interesting I thought maybe this would be like 20 pounds or something.

Yea I talked to them they said its the best thing ever blah blah blah. I want normal people reviews who don't gain from telling whether its a good product or bad.

You wrote: " I can't order mine now since AM is sold out..." That is why I suggested Vorschlag. I thought your decision was made...

Of course I understand now that it was not.

I will get mine (Whiteline from Vorschlag) in a couple days.

I'll let you know.

You wrote: " I can't order mine now since AM is sold out..." That is why I suggested Vorschlag. I thought your decision was made...

Of course I understand now that it was not.

I will get mine (Whiteline from Vorschlag) in a couple days.

I'll let you know.

Oh I see. Yes your right that does seem confusing how I said it. I like AM because I have a code for a 10% discount. Idk if vorschlag will offer the same.

But could you also take pics of the inside of their differential cover and the shelby differential cover by chance? I'd like to see the differences since they allow for cooling.

Archived