TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT and GT500 Brake Duct Kits Are Back In Stock at SPP!

Jer

Jer,

If you get time, (because I think I'm on the right track), ask one of the shop techs that installed SGT brake ducts to take a look at my pics and see if they moved/modified the power steering lines to push the heat exchanger even further back, right up close to the radiator?

I don't THINK there's an air flow or heat issue with the H.E. being within an inch or so of the radiator, so long as there's no rubbing/chafing.

Sam

Will do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: The power steering lines I discussed (and pictured) above is actually the power steering return line and just loops in front of the radiator as an impromptu "cooler". I've been researching mods and some folks have just replaced the line with a shorter, home-made version, while others have removed, re-bent, and reinstalled in FRONT of the heat exchanger.

So, my plan is to unbolt the line, and carefully bend it out of the way to give me more clearance for the heat exchanger, and thus make room for the brake ducts!

Not much time for me to accomplish this at present, but I will try and get something posted up within a week.

Sam

I think I see another T-shirt in the works for Sam!!

And probably well earned too!

I actually quized my wife tonight "Say Honey, did you ever order that Brake Duct kit from Shelby", to which she quickly replied "Is it your Birthday yet?".....not even a grin, wimper, or wink from her. She should start playing poker in her spare time!

I just tried to warn her that these things don't just sit around on a shelf with Jer at the helm!

Jer, you may just need to tuck one kit away in the back office for me just in case! I'd hate to miss out on this one, or the new Brake Reservor Cover, or the Rear Shock Tower brace, or the Transmission cooler, or the ....dang, I just cant keep up, but I do want this kit and the PIAA lights!

Andy.

I think I see another T-shirt in the works for Sam!!

And probably well earned too!

I actually quized my wife tonight "Say Honey, did you ever order that Brake Duct kit from Shelby", to which she quickly replied "Is it your Birthday yet?".....not even a grin, wimper, or wink from her. She should start playing poker in her spare time!

I just tried to warn her that these things don't just sit around on a shelf with Jer at the helm!

Jer, you may just need to tuck one kit away in the back office for me just in case! I'd hate to miss out on this one, or the new Brake Reservor Cover, or the Rear Shock Tower brace, or the Transmission cooler, or the ....dang, I just cant keep up, but I do want this kit and the PIAA lights!

Andy.

Ha! That's great!

We have plenty of stock now on everything you listed EXCEPT the lights. I MAY be out of them for a week or so, they sold FAST. But they will be right back. And I ordered a lot more this time!

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

2007_Shelby_GT,

I'm riding in the same boat as you are. I have a 2008 GT/CS w/ an E-Force on top and just ordered the last of the parts I needed yesterday to do the Billet upper and lower grille + Fogs/Brake ducts. I've been following this thread from the shadows to see what progress you've made..

Last night as I was laying down it finally got the best of me and I think I have the solution to this problem with the heat exchanger and getting the needed clearance for the ducting... at least this is what I'm going to try when my parts get here:

Relocate the horn, flip the damn thing and mount it upside down so it's behind the top grille, replumb the water pump, and run the coolant through it backwards..

I realize this might cause some issues with burping the system which is why I also will be adding a bleeder valve at the highest point then it should be as simple as jacking up the front end and opening the tap until all the the air escapes.

I'm also not sure how much added stress this would put on the mounting tabs but I imagine if they're sturdy enough to withstand the shock and vibration now they should hold up in the upsidedown position as well but just incase I'm also considering modifying my heat exchanger and adding some straps that would mount up under the hood latch area for a little added stability.

I'm also not sure what impact this will have on engine cooling, but considering the HE is already blocking off the lower half of the radiator I imagine by flipping it to the top, the difference would be negligable. Besides, nothing a little creative air damming and a few fans can't fix. (I added 2 6" radiator fans from a Ducati 1098r motorcycle to the back of my HE already).

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I should only be about a week away from getting started (waiting on the UPS truck). Your thoughts?

2007_Shelby_GT,

I'm riding in the same boat as you are. I have a 2008 GT/CS w/ an E-Force on top and just ordered the last of the parts I needed yesterday to do the Billet upper and lower grille + Fogs/Brake ducts. I've been following this thread from the shadows to see what progress you've made..

Last night as I was laying down it finally got the best of me and I think I have the solution to this problem with the heat exchanger and getting the needed clearance for the ducting... at least this is what I'm going to try when my parts get here:

Relocate the horn, flip the damn thing and mount it upside down so it's behind the top grille, replumb the water pump, and run the coolant through it backwards..

I realize this might cause some issues with burping the system which is why I also will be adding a bleeder valve at the highest point then it should be as simple as jacking up the front end and opening the tap until all the the air escapes.

I'm also not sure how much added stress this would put on the mounting tabs but I imagine if they're sturdy enough to withstand the shock and vibration now they should hold up in the upsidedown position as well but just incase I'm also considering modifying my heat exchanger and adding some straps that would mount up under the hood latch area for a little added stability.

I'm also not sure what impact this will have on engine cooling, but considering the HE is already blocking off the lower half of the radiator I imagine by flipping it to the top, the difference would be negligable. Besides, nothing a little creative air damming and a few fans can't fix. (I added 2 6" radiator fans from a Ducati 1098r motorcycle to the back of my HE already).

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I should only be about a week away from getting started (waiting on the UPS truck). Your thoughts?

Oops, messed that post up!

What I was going to say was this is a unique solution that I actually considered, but eliminated because of all the extra modifications needed. Also, blocking/restricting the upper grill may not be a good idea since this is where the bulk of engine cooling air comes from.

Not saying your solution won't work, but you may be pushing outside of the engineering limits of Edelbrock's design, as well as Ford's.

I'm going to try and stick with what I've got, except I haven't had any free time this week to work on it!

Sam

Jer,

Is it possible to purchase rear cooling ducts?

Not currently - I'm working on it.

Jer

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking ,,maybe make a thin alum manifold like box with a round hole big enough for the plastic tube coming off the front bumper brake bezel to go in, or over ,with maybe screw holes to hold it from turing ,that has another round tube like coming off it on the sides L / R - drive / pass sides ,to fit the cooling hose on,, that go's to the Shelby cooling brake plate behind the front brakes ,, I say alum ,,or maybe a heavy plastic molded one ,, just saying . :salute: ,,,, was thinking again ,,,maybe take a black PVC - 90 ,( pipe / tube ) ,cut one side of the 90 down short enough to fit over and or behind the brake bezel and or cut alittle off the bezel tube to give you room ,, turn that 90 down to the ground ,then take another black PVC - 90 and turn it out to the side L / R ,, drive side or pass side ,, then put hose on . a cheap and easy way ,, I think .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try fining some ,thin wall PVC . and drill holes for screws / no glue .,,,, but some nice alum tube Shelby made fittings would be nice too :yahoo: .

I was thinking ,,maybe make a thin alum manifold like box with a round hole big enough for the plastic tube coming off the front bumper brake bezel to go in, or over ,with maybe screw holes to hold it from turing ,that has another round tube like coming off it on the sides L / R - drive / pass sides ,to fit the cooling hose on,, that go's to the Shelby cooling brake plate behind the front brakes ,, I say alum ,,or maybe a heavy plastic molded one ,, just saying . :salute: ,,,, was thinking again ,,,maybe take a black PVC - 90 ,( pipe / tube ) ,cut one side of the 90 down short enough to fit over and or behind the brake bezel and or cut alittle off the bezel tube to give you room ,, turn that 90 down to the ground ,then take another black PVC - 90 and turn it out to the side L / R ,, drive side or pass side ,, then put hose on . a cheap and easy way ,, I think .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try fining some ,thin wall PVC . and drill holes for screws / no glue .,,,, but some nice alum tube Shelby made fittings would be nice too :yahoo: .

,,,,,,641609-R1-00-00A.jpg

Just got to love my wife!! Saturday was my Birthday, and with all the kids sports activities and GA Tech college football game to attend, I had to wait until Sunday morning to open my gifts with the wife & kids.

All the normal Birthday gifts appeared....a couple of new dress shirts, a new tie, a couple of gift cards to Home Depot, etc. and one large box!!!

The one large box was so big that all she could use to wrap it up was a large trashbag. When I opened up the bag and looked at the box, I immediately knew where it was from....addressed from Las Vegas, NV!!! Open up the box and what do I find....

The Shelby GT Brake Cooling Duct kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy%20feet.gif:dance::)banana%20piano.gif

Looks like it's time for some fun under the car!!

Andy.

Just got to love my wife!! Saturday was my Birthday, and with all the kids sports activities and GA Tech college football game to attend, I had to wait until Sunday morning to open my gifts with the wife & kids.

All the normal Birthday gifts appeared....a couple of new dress shirts, a new tie, a couple of gift cards to Home Depot, etc. and one large box!!!

The one large box was so big that all she could use to wrap it up was a large trashbag. When I opened up the bag and looked at the box, I immediately knew where it was from....addressed from Las Vegas, NV!!! Open up the box and what do I find....

The Shelby GT Brake Cooling Duct kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! happy%20feet.gif:dance::)banana%20piano.gif

Andy.

Congrats!! I'm currently in the process of installing mine...it's work but is fun work. I'm going to combined all of the wheel removal / disassembly with undercarriage cleaning and touch up, so it's going to take me a little longer. You can follow my progress on Facebook if you'd like... http://www.facebook.com/bob.schu.16/photos_stream

Andy.

Congrats, Andy!

Jer

Thanks Jer.

Now all I need are those PIAA lights to finish off the kit...are those in stock now as well?

Andy.

Yes, they are.

Jer

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jer, I am in the same boat as SGt5687. I bought both the brake ducts and PIAA light kit separately and have $320 in the deal. The difference does sting a bit. I love the kit installed it with little issue.

Hi Jer, I am in the same boat as SGt5687. I bought both the brake ducts and PIAA light kit separately and have $320 in the deal. The difference does sting a bit. I love the kit installed it with little issue.

Sounds like a slightly different boat... The brake duct kit now includes the BEZELS (what HE was talking about) but still not the lights. Email me directly if I'm missing your point.

Jer

Jer, you are correct. I bought the bezels and the PIAA light kit in the first round. I was recently going to order the brake duct kit when I noticed the bezels are now included. I think I paid $149 just for the bezels. I know it is business. My timing was just off..

• 2 weeks later...

Looks GREAT, Bob...

Hell, ya waited long enough, right????

Jer

Any ETA on 2010+ brake duct kit?

Sorry, no. We have a setup that we install on cars here, but I'm trying to do something new... and there are a few projects all going on all at once here right now (to put it mildly).

Jer

Looks GREAT, Bob...

Hell, ya waited long enough, right????

Jer

I sure did, Jer, and I thank you again for all your help!

I sure did, Jer, and I thank you again for all your help!

You're welcome, Bob... I love selling you parts when I distinctly remember someone who looked a LOT like you said he would "never mod his car".

The bug bites us all! LOL...

Jer

Archived