TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT and GT500 Brake Duct Kits Are Back In Stock at SPP!

Jer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jer,

Received the bezel/duct kit yesterday, (as well as the t-shirt, thank you very much!), and I've taken a quick look at the fitment. With the heat exchanger, it's definitely going to be a struggle, though I won't say impossible at this point. The Edelbrock exchanger runs the width of the lower grill, halfway covering the duct inlets on both sides. A heat exchanger that is narrower might be an early guess at a solution, but I don't know dimensions of alternate exchangers at the moment. Additionally, the inlet/outlet fittings and hoses will be a factor, as well as the driving lights themselves.

I'm not unhappy, I like trying to figure this sort of stuff out, but if you or anyone else there at SPP has some insight on this sort of thing, I'd love to hear it, likewise from other Team Shelby members!

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, did anyone consider a version of the bezels with the duct inlets and lights REVERSED, i.e., lights on the inside and ducts on the outside?

Sam

Simple question! Will the hose pieces in the GT500 kit fit the Shelby GT Bezels I have? Always have assumed or think a thread reported the GT500 to be a larger diameter.

Shields in the GT500 kit should not be an issue as I have upgraded to GT500 Brakes.

To question of reversing the duct location with light location, the light brackets would have to become very large and space consuming to securely hold the lights. I do not recall any major metal piece not blocked by radiator pieces that could be used.

DrKSGT

Jer,

Received the bezel/duct kit yesterday, (as well as the t-shirt, thank you very much!), and I've taken a quick look at the fitment. With the heat exchanger, it's definitely going to be a struggle, though I won't say impossible at this point. The Edelbrock exchanger runs the width of the lower grill, halfway covering the duct inlets on both sides. A heat exchanger that is narrower might be an early guess at a solution, but I don't know dimensions of alternate exchangers at the moment. Additionally, the inlet/outlet fittings and hoses will be a factor, as well as the driving lights themselves.

I'm not unhappy, I like trying to figure this sort of stuff out, but if you or anyone else there at SPP has some insight on this sort of thing, I'd love to hear it, likewise from other Team Shelby members!

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, did anyone consider a version of the bezels with the duct inlets and lights REVERSED, i.e., lights on the inside and ducts on the outside?

Sam

The "trick" is that the tube coming off the back of the bezel is marked with cut lines so that it can be evenly cut short if needed. You only need to leave an inch or so, that way the hose can more easily take a turn around the HE plumbing.

I'm pretty sure swapping the lights and hoses' position would make things MUCH harder- hose bends easier than lights do... LOL

Jer

Simple question! Will the hose pieces in the GT500 kit fit the Shelby GT Bezels I have? Always have assumed or think a thread reported the GT500 to be a larger diameter.

Shields in the GT500 kit should not be an issue as I have upgraded to GT500 Brakes.

The Shelby GT kit uses bigger hose, that's the right one to fit your bezels.

The GT500 bezels are smaller, so that kit uses small hose.

The backing plates are only different to match the hose sizes of each kit.

Jer

The "trick" is that the tube coming off the back of the bezel is marked with cut lines so that it can be evenly cut short if needed. You only need to leave an inch or so, that way the hose can more easily take a turn around the HE plumbing.

I'm pretty sure swapping the lights and hoses' position would make things MUCH harder- hose bends easier than lights do... LOL

Jer

Well, the light thing was just a thought! LOL

Anyhow, I pulled the belly pan a minute ago and had a closer look - it's worse than I thought! The Edelbrock exchanger is a full 28 inches wide, 2 inches deep, and 6.5 inches tall, meaning it completely covers the lower grill AND both duct inlets! I don't know if cutting the duct inlet tubes down, (even to a nub!), will work - the duct tubing would need to be flattened to the point of choking-off the air flow.

Let me get some pics posted and I'll show you what I'm talking about.

Back in a few minutes!

Pics:

gallery_13043_1123_12917.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_17900.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_85223.jpg

There - pretty tight clearances! The passenger side is the good side as you can see in the last picture!

Sam

Looks like you're screwed :(

Don't you hate it when one mod causes you to have to buy another mod just to make the first mod work ;)

Well, maybe, but it won't stop me from driving my Shelby! :hysterical:

If nothing else, everybody benefits from my work, good or bad! Since I had the lights and duct bezels installed before the supercharger, I had already modified the mounting of the heat exchanger to push it back closer to the radiator to get the clearances I have now. I might be able to get an additional 1/4-inch or more if I go with even longer bolts/spacers to push it back even further, but then I start running into issues with the power steering lines.

I'd say that my original assessment may be correct - anybody got specs on other heat exchangers?

Sam

The Shelby GT kit uses bigger hose, that's the right one to fit your bezels.

The GT500 bezels are smaller, so that kit uses small hose.

The backing plates are only different to match the hose sizes of each kit.

Jer

Guess then I have to buy the bezels for a second time to add the ducting portion. Have to put on my Christmas list and hope one of the kids spring for the kit.

Thanks Jer for the answer. Sure appeciate job you are doing to improve SPP.

DrKSGT

Probably something to do with manufacturing or whatever, but it makes me wonder why the heat exchanger has to be as big as it is, since the area of the lower grill is smaller in comparison:

gallery_13043_1123_296965.jpg

When you overlay the two, theres quite a bit of real-estate that receives no incoming cooling air through the grill opening!

Maybe Edelbrock should have made the heat exchanger taller instead of wider - same amount of square inches and same amount exposed to incoming air!

Sam

I'm thinking about this to much - I need to go drive around!

Sam

HAHAHA!

Sam, thanks for the communication and sharing of pix...

Jer

Guess then I have to buy the bezels for a second time to add the ducting portion. Have to put on my Christmas list and hope one of the kids spring for the kit.

Thanks Jer for the answer. Sure appeciate job you are doing to improve SPP.

DrKSGT

The Shelby GT kit comes with front bezels (the original style that also allow for the driving lights), ducting hose, rotor backing plates, clamps, zipties, and instructions. And it's priced VERY cheap, considering you'll have a spare set of very hard-to-find Shelby bezels left over.

Jer

The Shelby GT kit comes with front bezels (the original style that also allow for the driving lights), ducting hose, rotor backing plates, clamps, zipties, and instructions. And it's priced VERY cheap, considering you'll have a spare set of very hard-to-find Shelby bezels left over.

Jer

Your statement is fair on price and I would have an extra set for unexpected case I crash the current set. Only issue is I need to get the adjustable panhard bar first. Measured 14 mm difference between Left and Right side after getting the Shelby Billet LCA's, relocation Brackets, and adjustable UCA parts installed.

Sale could swing my order of ordering parts to do all at once.

I am patient about my ordering.

DrKSGT

After driving around and pondering the brake duct - S/C heat exchanger fitment issue, I've decided to attack the problem from a couple of different angles.

1. I remember when I originally installed the heat exchanger, the bezels/lights were an issue. I trimmed some of the duct bezel AND installed 1" square steel tubing as a spacer at the mounting points on the heat exchanger. I plan on going back in and replacing the 1" square tubing with 2" and gain a little more space by pushing the heat exchanger closer to the radiator.

2. I'm researching duct-work/adapter that might give a tighter bend at the attachment point on the bezel - once you get outside (to the left or right) of the heat exchanger/radiator, there's plenty of room. I've seen some interesting 90-degree bends that involve rectangular and round ducting.

3. There seems to be several companies manufacturing radiators/heat exchangers that will more closely match the size of the actual opening of the lower grill. That is a more expensive, and last resort option, but I'm still looking!

4. If all else fails, I will lose the lights and use THAT part of the bezel to attach the brake duct to AND perhaps find some smaller diameter lights to fit the original duct bezels. LED lights are smaller overall and may work for that option.

Sam

I'm in the same boat... need front brake cooling badly, frankly I never really anticipated doing the light anyway, so I think I'll just fab up the cooling ducts to the light duct and leave the cooling side just going directly at the heat exchanger - that can't hurt I wouldn't think. My HE is so close that it's pressing up against the tabs of the OEM grill inserts and popping it forward occasionally. Every now and then I fin dmy OEM grille bezel only half attached cuz the HE keeps pushing it out. Hopefully the riveted/bolted brake duct/light bezel will keep it in place.

One more question about this... Would Shelby consider a modification to this brake duct kit going forward? It seems that every brake company and race team I've spoken with says that the brake cooling should be pointed at the hat or center of rotor rather than the actual disc itself. Since our... call them "big boned" cars need so much help with braking and brake cooling when really put to the test on track, I'd love it if Shelby would consider improving this on their kits going forward. Frankly I'll probably modify the bezel kit to work but end up going with a different (if not hand made) brake cooling kit so I can be assured it cools in the most optimum fashion.

Just a heads up for future development.

PS - the Brake duct bezels are now INCLUDED in the cooling kit? While that's cool... it kind of ticks me off that I had to buy them separately though. They used to be $149.95 for JUST the bezels and now they are just included... hmmmm.... I paid $320 total for this kit where now it's only $170... I know things change, but wow... that stings.

PS - the Brake duct bezels are now INCLUDED in the cooling kit? While that's cool... it kind of ticks me off that I had to buy them separately though. They used to be $149.95 for JUST the bezels and now they are just included... hmmmm.... I paid $320 total for this kit where now it's only $170... I know things change, but wow... that stings.

Call me tomorrow...

Jer

Will do. Thanks Jer. Hope I wasn't too harsh... was just surprised by that. I'll try and give you a ring in the morning.

No, you weren't harsh at all, it's a reasonable reaction.

I may be in meetings most of the day, just ask for Kameron, I'll talk to him and tell him to expect your call.

Jer

Hey guys - thanks to you both for your appreciation of customer comments and input. Really makes me even more excited about the future of Shelby. Not to drudge up the past, but to think of Shelby as a leader in performance parts AND customer experience, really would make me ultimately proud of the brand!

Hey guys - thanks to you both for your appreciation of customer comments and input. Really makes me even more excited about the future of Shelby. Not to drudge up the past, but to think of Shelby as a leader in performance parts AND customer experience, really would make me ultimately proud of the brand!

Ditto!

Jer

Jer and company:

Over the weekend I took the opportunity to remove the front fascia and do an initial modification in an attempt to gain more space for the brake duct installation. These pics should help tell the tale!

gallery_13043_1123_31266.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_35513.jpg

There's more room to be gained by placing a larger spacer where the H.E. attaches to the bumper, but this starts causing issues with the power steering hard lines. I suppose some modifications can be made in that arena by cutting and refitting the clamp-style line mounts so that the lines fit more closely to the radiator - this might give another 1/2" of clearance for larger spacers on the H.E.

I would love to see how the mod-shop is doing this! (hint-hint Jer!)

Not there yet, but making progress!

Sam

Jer and company:

Over the weekend I took the opportunity to remove the front fascia and do an initial modification in an attempt to gain more space for the brake duct installation. These pics should help tell the tale!

gallery_13043_1123_31266.jpg

gallery_13043_1123_35513.jpg

There's more room to be gained by placing a larger spacer where the H.E. attaches to the bumper, but this starts causing issues with the power steering hard lines. I suppose some modifications can be made in that arena by cutting and refitting the clamp-style line mounts so that the lines fit more closely to the radiator - this might give another 1/2" of clearance for larger spacers on the H.E.

I would love to see how the mod-shop is doing this! (hint-hint Jer!)

Not there yet, but making progress!

Sam

Good info!

I'll get the mod shop pix next time they do one - they haven't recently.

Jer

Good info!

I'll get the mod shop pix next time they do one - they haven't recently.

Jer

Jer,

If you get time, (because I think I'm on the right track), ask one of the shop techs that installed SGT brake ducts to take a look at my pics and see if they moved/modified the power steering lines to push the heat exchanger even further back, right up close to the radiator?

I don't THINK there's an air flow or heat issue with the H.E. being within an inch or so of the radiator, so long as there's no rubbing/chafing.

Sam

Archived