TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Garage Beast that may not get started

Darren Collins

I have been the overjoyed owner of a '13 GT500 for not quite a month now. It was not bought to be a daily driver and will sit more than it is driven. The nature of my work keeps me overseas about six months out of the year working 70 days on and 70 days off. I am worried what harm would be done to my new GT500 by it not being started for 70 days at a time.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

AFDharley is spot on. 70 days (assuming it's in a good, clean, climate controlled garage) is not a big problem. If you don't want to play with a battery tender, you can just pull it, and give it a good charge when you get back. That's what I do when I store mine for 6 months worth of winter...

I wouldn't mess with fuel stabilizer for that short of a time, assuming that when you get back you are going to drive at least a tank of gas through it before you park it again for your next hitch.

Consider an indoor cover. Also, if your garage might have a problem with rodents, plugging your exhaust with steel wool can keep them from nesting in there.

If your storage is more along the lines of a pole barn and a dirt floor, you might consider renting a storage unit.

But overall, 70 days is not a huge amount of time for one to be in storage, so you don't have to do a whole lot of prep.

I agree with the others, it is pretty much the same as winter storage. Being overly cautious that I am, I would remove the battery from the car and put a shield around it (leave ventilation room around it) just incase something went wrong with the battery tender and the battery went boom. BTW, I don't remove my battery for winter storage but then I have the opportunity to check on it everyday while it sits.

Archived