TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions Wanted on 289 (Street/Slabside) Continuation Car

sfm6s1675

Thanks GTHERTZ. All this info is really helpful. I'm guessing a stock 289 doesn't have sold lifters and might have lower maintenance. Still there is a fun factor too, although worrying while the cars in the shop is a drag.

Lot's of option to weigh here. But as time goes on I think it will lead to the right decision.

I'm good with 289. Fortunately, a decision isn't required for a few months yet. Will see what I can learn about the 302's too. But I'm partial to the 289 right now. Sound like the 4 speed vs 5 speed is preference, as long as you buy one that isn't too finicky.

If it is a "continuation", you might want to check out the Shelby Engines at Debenste. They have an aluminum block HIPO 289 model that is cast from an original iron 289 HIPO at Shelbys plant in Gardena. It is a heck of an egine and much lighter..

For what it is worth, I have a 66 K code with the original hi-po 289. I have lighten it by putting a aluminum hi-rise intake, tri-y headers, 8 qt aluminum t-pan etc. the car is a blast to drive with minimal maintence issues. My biggest problem is not driving it enough.

A K code, especially setup as they were in the '65 GT350 (hi-rise aluminum intake and 715 CFM Holley), would be a nice engine for a 289 Cobra. But it is old school compared to the new Shelby Engine 289s. The new aluminum engines just look amazing, from top to bottom, and of course punch out lots more HP and torque per CI. Tough choice.

Archived