TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Opinions Wanted on 289 (Street/Slabside) Continuation Car

sfm6s1675

I have an 09 GT500 vert, that I just love. But in the whole theory of "you can't have too much", I have my eyes on a 289 Cobra.

I see things like high maintenance, etc. Would like to know people's thoughts on this and what I can expect. Also what to expect in how "fun" it is...in other words, does the car literally beat the hell out of you and it's more work to drive than fun. I don't mind some level of work (I had owned a 66 GT350 at one time) but do expect the car to be fun enough to go for a 2-3 hour drive, perhaps. Maybe even to an overnight bed & breakfast, that kind of thing..

Also I know the frame is the 3" dia tube, not the 4" that big block cars have. Knowing the originals had 271 hp, with racing versions in the upper 300s, how much hp is too much with the small frame and skinny tires?

Shelby Engines has a way cool (and very $) aluminum block 289 motor. Am thinking of this motor with a Tremec 5 speed and 3.54 gears.

Would really like opinions on this. And to answer the first question, I really have my heart set on a 289 as it retains the English flair plus frankly, you don't see many around.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Real or replica? If the first, your options are obviously limited. I traded my GT-H for a 427 S/C replica (alas, not with a 427 BB, but plenty enough for me), but if I had to do it over again, a 289 FIA would be great. The lighter engine does make a difference on any roads with curves, but you can still get quite good HP and performance. Maybe you don't lose your toupee on a peel-out, but you can still get nice torque numbers, too.

Unless you are buying someone else's car that's already sorted, you should definitely look around for the various engine builders: Shelby, Roush, Keith Craft, etc. Prices go to the moon if you want, but you can keep things reasonable so long as you stick with the 289 / 302 base.

If I were to get another Cobra it would be a 289 car. Definitely more streetable and easier to control than the 427. I like the looks of the 427 so I would do a 289 FIA car.

That said, they are a tinkerer's dream. If you like working on cars and engines it will be a good car to get. Frankly, I don't miss having to work on it as much as I drove it.

As far as driving it remember this is a tool to push an engine around the track. It's light and nimble but not a single part of a HP went to anything except moving it. The brakes and steering are very hard. Especially a 289 with leaf springs, I expect. The best term I heard to describe it is a "strong man's car". No power anything so you have to really push (not press) the brakes. Clutch will depend on what you get for trans. Steering is tough - turning standing still on dry pavement will take two hands. You do have to "man handle" it. But when it's going fast it's great! The feedback is very high.

Before you buy one you should definitely ride in one, and if you can, drive it. You would be best advised to take a trip to a dealer (Hillbank or Denbeste) and take a test drive.

And this really isn't the best place to get Cobra info. You should also check out www.clubcobra.com. Beware, while they claim to be "unbiased" they really don't like Shelby much, so apply that filter. They will instantly turn you to Superformance or ERA or Kirkham if you're looking for an aluminum car and chastise you for thinking of a CSX. Even though in the end they all cost the same.

Also, if you're looking for a used "already sorted out" car you can't go wrong by looking at www.cobracountry.com

I love owning the little 289 Cobra. She's fast, sounds great and stops traffic where ever I go. That being said, she is high maintenance. Before any long drive she goes on the lift to check for loose nuts and bolts (and I do find them). She very comfortable for about an hour. After that my large 230 lb body starts to feel it.

Great advise from Tony........try and drive one before any purchase.

I love owning the little 289 Cobra. She's fast, sounds great and stops traffic where ever I go. That being said, she is high maintenance. Before any long drive she goes on the lift to check for loose nuts and bolts (and I do find them). She very comfortable for about an hour. After that my large 230 lb body starts to feel it.

Great advise from Tony........try and drive one before any purchase.

For me the time was totally controlled by how much drive time I got on a tank of gas. At 21 gal, 9-10 MPG, 200 miles is about all you can get anyway. 200-300 miles total is 2-3 hours at 75MPH... Don't think of this as a cross country driver, you will need to plan your route for frequent stops. I did figure that the trip from Colorado to Las Vegas was safe if I stopped in Vail, Grand Junction, Green River (because of the no services for quite a few miles), the I15-I70 interchange and St. George. 800 miles total.

Tony,

If I remember right, there was also another very important reason you made the change out of the Cobra. :)

If you are married, make sure your significant other also takes a ride in the car and will be able to enjoy it on a longer haul. If not, that can make the Cobra not as fun for you.

• Thanks everyone, appreciate the opinions. I am in the St. Louis area and we do have a local Shelby distributor, so I definitely was going to pay him a visit. I'm looking for a new build to get it exactly the way I'd like, plus was thinking about adding the museum delivery option too (got to keep the wife happy, taking her to Vegas is good for brownie points!).

Tony,

If I remember right, there was also another very important reason you made the change out of the Cobra. :)

If you are married, make sure your significant other also takes a ride in the car and will be able to enjoy it on a longer haul. If not, that can make the Cobra not as fun for you.

This is absolutely correct. Cobras for drivers are all the fun you can have, legally, sitting in a chair in public. They are uncomfortable and painful to sit in and control - the steering and brakes are brutal - but that is part of the exhilaration of driving one. It's easy to ignore the discomfort, when, as Hunter S thompson said "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death". However, they are a torture chamber for your passenger and may not find the same level of thrill.

This is absolutely correct. Cobras for drivers are all the fun you can have, legally, sitting in a chair in public. They are uncomfortable and painful to sit in and control - the steering and brakes are brutal - but that is part of the exhilaration of driving one. It's easy to ignore the discomfort, when, as Hunter S thompson said "Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death". However, they are a torture chamber for your passenger and may not find the same level of thrill.

I'd say you painted a pretty good picture there Tony. Marji does say the drivers seat is more fun than the passenger seat.

I was able to drive the 50th Cobra during the bash for about a mile from the banquet hall to the parking garage. Probably the best and worst mile of my life. I tell people constantly in the museum the Cobra is not really a drivers car but she is an absolute blast to drive. The clutch pedal was stiff as could be, my 6' 180 lbs body doesn't contort that well into the seat, the steering wheel was digging into my inner thigh, and it was an incredibly stiff ride, however if you don't have a huge smile when your driving a Cobra you might as well be dead. How the greats from Shelby Americans past were able to muscle these cars around some of the greatest tracks for 24 hours is beyond me. Guess thats why you never saw a fat raceing Cobra driver :shoppingcart_: .

I was able to drive the 50th Cobra during the bash for about a mile from the banquet hall to the parking garage.

I've always been curious...Who drives number 1 when it gets moved?

I've been seeing it all over the place and noticed last week when I was in there, that it's back in the museum (from Monterey?).

So I was just wondering. I think I saw a pic of Luft driving it in Monterey.

Phill

I've always been curious...Who drives number 1 when it gets moved?

I've been seeing it all over the place and noticed last week when I was in there, that it's back in the museum (from Monterey?).

So I was just wondering. I think I saw a pic of Luft driving it in Monterey.

Phill

You should have John tell you the story of while driving in Monterey he had to pull CSX2000 into the gas station to fuel up.

Driving that piece of history is one thing but have to stop and filler up......Now that's PRICELESS.

You should have John tell you the story of while driving in Monterey he had to pull CSX2000 into the gas station to fuel up.

Driving that piece of history is one thing but have to stop and filler up......Now that's PRICELESS.

I hope they have good insurance.

I wouldn't even THINK of driving a $20 million car on the street, let along sit in it!

And especially the streets of Monterey (as a former life long resident).

Phill

I hope they have good insurance.

I wouldn't even THINK of driving a $20 million car on the street, let along sit in it!

And especially the streets of Monterey (as a former life long resident).

Phill

Heck, I would drive it if I had the opprotunity.

I looked at a few 289 replicas before getting another Tiger--a lot more room and easier to drive. As far as dependability I don't see how a 289 replica needs any more maintenance than any old car, and if they are driven regularly they shouldn't need a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love a 289 street car!! The 427's are amazing machines and absolutely beautiful, as well as the body lines on the 289 FIAs, but everyone who has a replica has one and that strikes me as a little over done... However I dig the 289's because of the simplicity of the design, not to mention appearance of the original 289's is just flawless IMO.

I love driving CSX 8289. The car is very dependable, but I drive it almost weekly. The weather has very nice lately and I drove it to work everyday for the past 2 weeks. It does fine in traffic and has more than enough power. I have a 289 HiPo, 306 HP, and a tremec TKO500. I have had the car on the road course and the dragstrip several times at Mid-America. I highly recommend the car!!

Shane

I have never actually checked into it, but what does a roller slabside run? I know complete cars from the dealers can be up there depending on engine choice, etc... but just for a basic roller package from SAI or one of the dealers? That may make a good retirement project in a few years, lol

I had a CSX 4000 series with the Shelby 427 aluminum block and although somewhat different than the 289 FIA I think there are also similarities. I sold the CSX as it was not really practical as it took a long time to get up to operating temp before driving, and would "beat" me up after driving a long time. It was very hot with the heat from the 427. On the plus side, it got a lot of looks and turned a lot of heads. It was loud and the torque was unbelievable! There are a lot of replicas and it was a constant source of discussion. No computers monitoring the engine's performance. In this case, less is more. Less electronics, more maintenance. I enjoyed driving the car but the inconveniences outweighed the joy (at least at my age).

I had a CSX 4000 series with the Shelby 427 aluminum block and although somewhat different than the 289 FIA I think there are also similarities. I sold the CSX as it was not really practical as it took a long time to get up to operating temp before driving, and would "beat" me up after driving a long time. It was very hot with the heat from the 427. On the plus side, it got a lot of looks and turned a lot of heads. It was loud and the torque was unbelievable! There are a lot of replicas and it was a constant source of discussion. No computers monitoring the engine's performance. In this case, less is more. Less electronics, more maintenance. I enjoyed driving the car but the inconveniences outweighed the joy (at least at my age).

ditto

I have never actually checked into it, but what does a roller slabside run? I know complete cars from the dealers can be up there depending on engine choice, etc... but just for a basic roller package from SAI or one of the dealers? That may make a good retirement project in a few years, lol

It's been 4 years since I shopped it but I say a pretty good guess would be 60-70k for fiberglass and 90-100k for aluminum.

• 3 months later...

Actually they're now $84,995 for a fiberglass roller. I've been working with the area distributor but the price is a lot higher than what I expected. Plus you have to add the engine, tranny, installation of such, and everything to make it a turn-key car. Price zoomed up well over 100K pretty quickly.

The distributor did let me drive his 427. That car was a beast. I now understand when people say driving one is simultaneously the most fun and most uncomfortable time driving a car one can have. Hot, loud, rough, but what a blast. I now see that this car would beat you up in no time.

The 289 should be a lot more docile. Anyway, am strongly considering buying one. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, they were very helpful.

Actually they're now $84,995 for a fiberglass roller. I've been working with the area distributor but the price is a lot higher than what I expected. Plus you have to add the engine, tranny, installation of such, and everything to make it a turn-key car. Price zoomed up well over 100K pretty quickly.

The distributor did let me drive his 427. That car was a beast. I now understand when people say driving one is simultaneously the most fun and most uncomfortable time driving a car one can have. Hot, loud, rough, but what a blast. I now see that this car would beat you up in no time.

The 289 should be a lot more docile. Anyway, am strongly considering buying one. Thanks for everyone's thoughts, they were very helpful.

Wow, that's a pretty hefty jump since I ordered mine......but if you've got the funds :shift:

• 11 months later...

I love driving CSX 8289. The car is very dependable, but I drive it almost weekly. The weather has very nice lately and I drove it to work everyday for the past 2 weeks. It does fine in traffic and has more than enough power. I have a 289 HiPo, 306 HP, and a tremec TKO500. I have had the car on the road course and the dragstrip several times at Mid-America. I highly recommend the car!!

Shane

This sounds like the type of set up i am interested in for a new 289 FIA 50th. Would very much like to learn more specifics and details about your engine and transmission . And any one else's thoughts.

Thanks.

OK, I'm going to jump in here. I've driven 2 Cobras. One was my buddies ERA 427 body with a serious 351 and a 6 speed transmission. I honestly didn't like the 6 speed as I was working too hard trying to learn it with my limited seat time in this powerful car. The car was scary - loud and fast (did I say scary). It was well sorted out and the owner frequently races it and drives it to the edge of it's capabilities. It would take me quite a bit of seat time to get comfy with such a car.

Then I had the opportunity to drive a REAL 289 car. After the owner hired me to photograph it, he offered me the keys. I refused ($600++K car!), but 30 seconds later I came to my senses realizing I would kick myself for not taking this opportunity. Glad I did! The owner was really cool and we cruised the LONG way home and he encouraged me to have as much fun as possible. The sun was just starting to go down and it was a mid 70s summer day. Perfect! I will never forget it. The stock 271 HP 289 is perfect for these cars, and so is the 4 speed transmission. I would have no need for a 5 speed or 6 speed in such a car as these are not long distance cruisers. The 4 speed is so simple, so strong, and keeps your attention on the important stuff (not missing gears). You need all that attention, b/c driving these machines is a full sensory experience. I found the stock 289 setup very well mannered on the street. No more difficult to brake, steer and drive than my '65 Mustang. Just a whole lot more fun (if you can fit in the car). For me, it was difficult to fit in the small car, and had to drive it without shoes. Here she is...

cobra20x30web.jpg?w=648

Archived