TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dealer's deposit... refundable?

braztang

This is the deal, I kindly request some advice.

I ordered a GT500 a month ago, the car has not yet have a build date.

I found a GT500 online at MSRP in another State and I am buying it.

I had previously left a 1,000.00 Dollars check deposit with the dealer I ordered the car, they already cashed the check, but I told them today that I am backing off from the deal, did not say the purpose. They told me good luck and that their policy is that no refund is given for special order cars.

Any advice?

Thank you

braztang

They are pulling your chain. If Ford has not yet scheduled the car / assigned a VIN they HAVE to refund your deposit. Call Ford Customer Care and get them involved (or first let the dealership know you are getting them involved). Right or wrong - nobody wants the spotlight from the corporate mother ship.

I canceled the first order on my 2013 GT500 when I found a dealer who would sell to me at MSRP. The vehicle was not scheduled yet and they refunded my deposit no questions asked.

What does your contract say? Did they sign a contract with you? If not, did they provide you a copy of their "policy" in writing as part of the deal? If none of the above, then they really don't have any grounds to not return your money.

As for me I have a buyers order filled out and there is a place for Partial Payment, beside is written non-refundable. Although if you cancel before the car has a vin I will do whatever I can to get your deposit refunded since I can still sale a car that can be built to someone else's liking. But if the car has a vin no go.

This is the deal, I kindly request some advice.

I ordered a GT500 a month ago, the car has not yet have a build date.

I found a GT500 online at MSRP in another State and I am buying it.

They told me good luck and that their policy is that no refund is given for special order cars.

Any advice?

Thank you

braztang

What color and options did you order? I can't imagine a combination that would make it hard for the dealer to sell the car. It will be interesting to see if he puts a ADM on the car.

I had previously left a 1,000.00 Dollars check deposit with the dealer I ordered the car, they already cashed the check, but I told them today that I am backing off from the deal, did not say the purpose. They told me good luck and that their policy is that no refund is given for special order cars.

Any advice?

Thank you

braztang

I've been told that there is no such thing as a non refundable deposit. But that may have been just for California. One of my best friends worked in sales and then F&I for decades and he's the one that told me that.

I also know that until you actually take (physical) delivery of a car, YOU DO NOT OWN IT. That came from a lawyer friend of mine.

It'd be kind of hard for them to keep a deposit on a car you never owned.....

Phill

It depends on what the state law is I know in NJ they can not keep the deposit even though they will tell you they can or they may not know the law, check your state see what the law says. Even if the sales agreement states in little tiny writing that they can keep it if the law says they can't then you get it back.

AG's website which says:

"Many consumers mistakenly believe they are entitled to a refund of their deposit if they decide not to buy a car. However, there is no right to cancel a contract, unless the dealer fails to conspicuously post the refund policy. If the dealer assists you in arranging for financing and you have not picked up the vehicle, you may cancel at any time prior to signing a finance agreement and receive a full refund."

Buying a car.

No way can they just keep your $1,000. When I cancelled the order on my '13, I just told them I was coming down to get my deposit back.

They had already cashed my check too as I had written it a month prior. By the time I got there, they had a check issued to me for the

deposit.

They're ripping you off.

Archived