TEAM SHELBY FORUM

'11-'12 Front Brakes

Madlock

Having taken delivery of my '13 a few weeks ago, I'm giving very serious thought to keeping my '12 as well. There's something just TOO compelling about having a car I can run as aggressively as I like or drive as often as I please without regretting every odometer click.

In so doing, I've begun investigating how to retrofit some of the model year improvements Ford made for the '13 to improve the '12 - if I can do so in an affordable manner. One of the first places I've looked is the front brakes and refitting my '12 with the massive 6-piston 15" Brembos from the '13 versus one of the many 6-piston 14" aftermarket options from SPP and elsewhere.

As it turns out, swapping out the 2011/12 4-Caliper 14" Front Brakes with the all of the '13 brake components beyond the lines can be done for a relatively-cheap $1,500.00. Granted, it leaves no matched option for improving the rear brakes like Bear, Wilwood and others, but with the fronts handling about 80% of the braking duty anyway, it seems like one hell of a sensible way forward.

Any further ideas/suggestions?

I would just stick with wilwoods from shelby if your going to keep this car and not care about selling it. Unless you get exactly everything used on the 13 to upgrade your 12 that means front and rear. You don't want to have the bigger front rotor and caliper then keep the tiny rear 12 rotor.

It wouldnt affect bias in any differently manner than any other brake set swap to Shelby, Bear, Wilwood, etc. Though doing the rears with the '13 components too probably makes sense with the master cylinder for good measure - as all can be had for a relative pittance.

Anybody worried about resale could just throw the 14's in a box for the new owner but, unless the car is otherwise bumper-to-bumper OE, it's not going to affect resale value one damned bit but, if anything, to improve it.

Archived