TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR 500S, leave it "as raced" or "bring it back to new"

gth0007

I'm debating whether or not to leave my FR500S in it' "as raced condition" or "bring it back as new". This car was a NASA Mid-Atlantic champion and has a great history as driven by George Winkler, sponsored by Winkler Automotive. My goal was to run the car in the various NASA Florida Region events, BUT a serious back injury has sidelined those efforts. So I have about 4 months of medical garbage to deal with SO do I take this time to clean up the body OR do I just leave the car "as raced" in 2010 ?? I would like to hear member input, and God willing I plan to track the car in the Spring of 2013. Let me know what you think. regards, Larry Miller

Larry,

These FR500 cars will be known for exactly what they are. Race cars. They have been beat and repaired numerous times already. I'd say do it up how you would like it. As long as you are not completely rebuilding the car, cutting up the cage etc, to make it something it is not, then do what ever you would like. I would bring it back to as new and paint it up as you see fit for you. It can always be painted back to as raced by GW at a later date if that were so desired. Just like that Daytona that got wrecked in Monterey a few weeks back, race cars can always be rebuilt. Nothing about originality of the body will effect its value etc. in the future as long as repaired correctly.

Larry,

These FR500 cars will be known for exactly what they are. Race cars. They have been beat and repaired numerous times already. I'd say do it up how you would like it. As long as you are not completely rebuilding the car, cutting up the cage etc, to make it something it is not, then do what ever you would like. I would bring it back to as new and paint it up as you see fit for you. It can always be painted back to as raced by GW at a later date if that were so desired. Just like that Daytona that got wrecked in Monterey a few weeks back, race cars can always be rebuilt. Nothing about originality of the body will effect its value etc. in the future as long as repaired correctly.

Good Advice. Take LOTS and LOTS of Photos of the Car BEFORE you do ANYTHING to it.

Larry,

Having seen your car, it looked in really great shape, (and sounded fantastic!), I'd say keep any repairs/painting to the bare minimum. Freshen it up a bit by fixing+painting the minor dings and dents if you desire, but the "as raced" original condition seems to be more desireable to collectors these days.

Sam

If it were me I would obtain as many race photos as I could get my hands on to display in the garage and have the car mildly cleaned up (to prevent rust) so that it looked like its photos.

Looking forward to your photos.

Big time +1

If it were me I would obtain as many race photos as I could get my hands on to display in the garage and have the car mildly cleaned up (to prevent rust) so that it looked like its photos.

Looking forward to your photos.

Larry posted 3 photos of the car just after he purchased it around June of last year. See http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/67321-fr500s-for-sale-on-ebay/ # 17 for the photos

Thanks for posting the photos, for some reason I've having trouble downloading photos and attaching PMs. I'm going to update my browser (firefox) and maybe that will help. The car is in really good condition and came with a new front valance so it wouldn't take much to bring the car back to nice condition. I'm going to keep it in the Winkler Automotive livery. The car was in numerous magazines including the Ford Racing catalog. thanks for everyone's input. regards, Larry

Archived