TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Mustang??????

07SGT

Not a bad looking car but not a good looking Mustang. That's like Harley Davidson building a Ducati lookalike. This could end up being a good looking bike, but certainly not what Harley owners would be looking for, and not true to the brand.

Ford should use the same platform to build two distinct cars. A Mustang that would look and feel like a Mustang and still offer a V8 among its engine choices, and this euro looking car that could be sold as a Ford in Europe and as a Lincoln over here, to compete with foreign luxury coupes like the Audi A5, BMW 3 series or Infiniti G37. This way, Ford would have all bases covered and would appeal to different demographics using one single platform. Platform sharing is very frequent these days; I'm surprised that Ford did not think about it in this instance as an alternative to please current Mustang owners while attracting new buyers.

I wasn't too wild about the Fox-Bodies Mustang when they first appeared as they totally left their Mustang heritage behind and truly looked European for their time. I ended up owning a couple of the "aero" Fox LX 5.0's and loved them. I kinda felt they were Ford's version of the BMW M-3 back then, only I outran a few of those early M-3's on the road (LOL).

Time marches on and so do styles. We can't have retro forever. Ford has got to sell cars to the newer generations and they grew up on European/Asian cars and they will be the ones Ford needs to bring back to continue the line. For everyone of us old time classic Mustang/Shelby stereo typed owners, there will be three new first timers who will love the style and buy it. Might take me a year or two but I'm sure I'll come around too and purchase one. After all, it's all I've ever owned ... Mustangs since 1970. :wub:

The EVOS has been discussed multiple times here. Not sure how many times we need to keep rehashing the same arguments and opinions. One thing we know for sure, is that the EVOS is not exactly what the new Mustang will be, we know that the last 5 years of production has been some of the lowest numbers in Mustang history, we know Ford has to do something and they are, but what we don't know is exactly what it will look like yet. All we can do is hope that it is cool enough and not too far from the essence of Mustang to lose it's desire to us old faithfulls, and also have a new enough look to draw all for sales to increase. I'm eagerly awaiting the results is all I know.

IF, Ford does away with the "AMERICAN MUSCLE" look of the Mustang, then they wont be around long. Ford has already killed off the Crown Vic, (The BEST selling Full Size Car), they killed off the Ranger Truck, (The BEST Selling Compact Truck). They Killed off the Mini Van and 2013 will be the LAST Year for the E-Series Van, (The BEST Selling Full Size Van). I don't know what they think they are doing but they are going in the WRONG direction.

IF, Ford does away with the "AMERICAN MUSCLE" look of the Mustang, then they wont be around long. Ford has already killed off the Crown Vic, (The BEST selling Full Size Car), they killed off the Ranger Truck, (The BEST Selling Compact Truck). They Killed off the Mini Van and 2013 will be the LAST Year for the E-Series Van, (The BEST Selling Full Size Van). I don't know what they think they are doing but they are going in the WRONG direction.

And yet, they're apparently the most successful of the (former) 'Big three'! ;^) Have a great weekend!

The impression I received from reading the article is that Ford would keep the Mustang name but change the vehicle. They are talking about a 4 cylinder engine and even with turbo generates only about 250-260 HP. The current V-6 generates about 305. The car would be more European. Look for Camaro sales to soar!!!!!!!! Americans want a V-8. We want the HP and the Torque. And we want to hear the rumble of the V-8.

I wasn't too wild about the Fox-Bodies Mustang when they first appeared as they totally left their Mustang heritage behind and truly looked European for their time. I ended up owning a couple of the "aero" Fox LX 5.0's and loved them. I kinda felt they were Ford's version of the BMW M-3 back then, only I outran a few of those early M-3's on the road (LOL).

Time marches on and so do styles. We can't have retro forever. Ford has got to sell cars to the newer generations and they grew up on European/Asian cars and they will be the ones Ford needs to bring back to continue the line. For everyone of us old time classic Mustang/Shelby stereo typed owners, there will be three new first timers who will love the style and buy it. Might take me a year or two but I'm sure I'll come around too and purchase one. After all, it's all I've ever owned ... Mustangs since 1970. :wub:

Not to hi-jack but I thought I would mention your bumper sticker is a great saying. Not sure I would put it on my car, but as stated great saying.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. We're still 18 months out. They can't keep doing retro forever, for reasons mentioned above, along with others. One of my favorite Mustang bodystyles of all time is the 94-98 SN95. The Fox body was a great car for it's era, but it had absolutely ZERO Mustang styling cues. In 94, Ford stepped away from the Probe idea, and built a truly modern interpretation of the Mustang--great styling for it's time (and even now, many non-Mustang people think my 95 is at least 10 years newer) that still salutes the classic, with the open mouth grill, pony emblem, sculpted side panels, etc. I've seen another pic recently that's slightly different than the one Fox News posted, that carries the grill, side scoops, quarter windows, etc, through, and is a car that has definite potential.

I've been in the Mustang hobby for over 30 years. Ford has learned a lot in that time about the car, the brand, etc. They've done a pretty good job for the past 20 years listening to the market. I think they'll get this one right. Remember, most Mustangers were convinced that the 4.6 was the end of the V8. Is a twin-turbo 4 cylinder in my future? Not sure, but my 95 has been embarrassed a few times by Evos and WRXs. It's funny though--I still get thumbs-up from the ricer drivers, even when I'm sitting still.

One of my favorite Mustang bodystyles of all time is the 94-98 SN95.

same here...if I had a choice of getting any older mustang, it'd be a 1998. It would need more power over stock form though.

As for the 2015...I like the evos design in that article...can't wait to see what the mustang might look like. One thing I wish they'd do since they're looking to loose weight and size is get rid of the back seat. But I know that won't happen. I really have no use for it personally. I'm surprised that we haven't seen some actual spyshots of the 2015 yet.

I hope Ford takes some of the styling cues from the evos, especially the hips and the ass of that car. It is already designed for a wide body potential with extra wide rear tires. Sort of the hips of a Porsche 911 or a Z car. But keep the rumbling American V-8. Turbo or supercharged, but make it rumble and Ford will have found a true replacement for the 50th anniversary.

Not to hi-jack but I thought I would mention your bumper sticker is a great saying. Not sure I would put it on my car, but as stated great saying.

Thanks (LOL). A friend gave that to me as a retirement gift. Carroll Shelby had just passed and I placed it there in remembrance. I took the car to the All-Ford Nationals at Carlisle in June with the sticker on the bumper. I got lot's of thumbs up from people on the road but the "purists" thought I had commented an act of blasphemy (oops). I haven't taken it off yet but will soon. It won't be difficult. I'm going to a Hilton Head Island,SC Concours d'Elegance show in November as part of a late model Shelby exibit. I'm thinking I may wait till after that show and see how the "stiff upper lip" crowd reacts. :drop:

• 4 months later...

Archived