TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil Temp Gauge Install - factory bung location?

07SGT5687

So with my continued track temp issues, I decided I want to install both aftermarket water AND oil temp gauges. Got the oil temp guage, but now that I'm attempting to install it, it dawns on me that there might not be a factory bung location to install the sensor in. Does anyone know if there is a place to put the sensor without having to do something funky or weld a drill/weld a bung somewhere?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Anyone else? Or is there really no where to place this bung (as far as factory positions go)?

The OE drain hole on your oil pan or weld a dedicated bung into your existing pan.

My Shelby 8-qt pan has a bung for a oil temp sender.

Phill

Any foreseeable issues with mounting it in the drain plug spot?

Not sure where the OE plug is located on the pan but I have seen plugs get a little ground off from hitting the ground on low cars. Those were always at the back of the pan though.

Also, about every pan I've ever had to get a new plug from was a 1/2"x20 thread pitch. Newer ones are 18mm if I remember correctly (same as a O2 bung) so you may have to adapt a NPT fitting to a standard threaded hole. Or not...Depending on what came with your gauge/sender.

Phill

How do the Autometer gauges work? Are they just electrical? The Shelby gauges have a separate assembly with an additional line that goes to the oil feed line. Then there are multiple bung locations available for other gauges or needs. I recently took a picture of mine for reassembly. Let me see if I can find it.

Here's the Shelby oil gauge installation location:

oilgaugepic.jpg

Should be able to find an adapter for the stock oil pressure sensor location. I don't have an aftermarket oil gauge, but I tapped into the stock location to get the oil feed for my Paxton SC. I see no reason why you couldn't just put an adapter there for the gauge.

Should be able to find an adapter for the stock oil pressure sensor location. I don't have an aftermarket oil gauge, but I tapped into the stock location to get the oil feed for my Paxton SC. I see no reason why you couldn't just put an adapter there for the gauge.

He's talking about a oil TEMPERATURE gauge, not a oil PRESSURE gauge.

He needs circulating oil, not static oil.

Phill

He's talking about a oil TEMPERATURE gauge, not a oil PRESSURE gauge.

He needs circulating oil, not static oil.

Phill

That is circulating oil. That is the exact location I used to prime my engine with oil when I installed my new motor.

Archived