TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker Pro Audio

BCPD199

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new '13 GT500. I was wondering about the Shaker Pro Audio option. Worth it? I bought my 2008 GT500 Vert with the Shaker 1000 off the lot. I remember back then after I bought it that most people didn't think it was worth the weight or money. For you guys/gals that have it on your 2013's, is it worth the extra $1,295? Also, happy with your '13's so far? Thanks, Jim S.

Its not. You can pay the same amount to JL audio get a sub with an enclosure built specifically for the car and a good amp for the sub. All the shaker pro does is throw that ugly ass big sub in your trunk. It just makes your system louder not better.

If you really want a good system you can also use that 1200 to replace all the speakers and forget about a sub in the trunk.

Hey SVT13, The Shaker in the 13 rocks! Unless you want to go deff. Much better than the 12 or 11. I don't think any other system rocks as hard unless you are into Ozzy or Metalica! Just my 2 cents worth. Why spend a lot of money just to blow your ears out! I am pleasantly pleased! Adjust your wolfer and treble and this stock system ROCKS! denohew

In my opinion, it absolutely is. There is no question that you could put a better quality system in for the same money or less, but to me, there is value in having the electronics be installed from the factory and not have the hassle of having interior pieces removed, new wires run, deal with another shop to get it installed, etc. To me, the quality of the shaker pro is decent and having a sub plus the better drivers makes most any type of music sound better. It's just a much more full range of sound.

In my opinion, it absolutely is. There is no question that you could put a better quality system in for the same money or less, but to me, there is value in having the electronics be installed from the factory and not have the hassle of having interior pieces removed, new wires run, deal with another shop to get it installed, etc. To me, the quality of the shaker pro is decent and having a sub plus the better drivers makes most any type of music sound better. It's just a much more full range of sound.

What better drivers? Where are these? The only difference should be the sub. My dealership just got another shelby with the shaker pro option and i sat and listened literally they sound the same to me except obviously the shaker pro is louder and vibrates the hell out of the mirrors.

Depends on your ear and desires: if you are good listening to a standard sound system, then the Shaker System is a great up-grade option. However, like myself and some others here, if you would like a cleaner, crisper, and better responsive sound, then no. For example (at least with the older Shaker systems), you have no separate bass control for the sub woofers, just one for the whole system. You have 8" woofers in the doors, that really should be used for only a mid-bass range of sound, throwing out extreme low bass, which causes distortion with the music. The radio doesn't give you control like a real EQ in order to help with this, and the other reader is correct. You can spend that $1300 on a great radio with navi and all the control features you would need to run a system like this, great subs (JL or MMatts are the best for bass), a good 5 channel amp to run the entire system, and a great set of factory placement speakers, like Boston Acoustic, the top of the line Pioneer, or other. But honestly, it really does depend on your ear and desires as to what you are used to.

My thought process is more like yours. I'm not an audiophile expert by any means. I do like to turn it up a bit with the top down. I just can't see bringing it someplace out, yanking speakers, radios, amps, etc out. Although I did replace the door speakers in my '08 Vert. Honestly, there wasn't much difference with the Mach 1000. And I remember people complaining about how heavy it was.

On another note, are the Recaros worth it? I understand they're not electric and was wondering about adjustment and comfort.

I completely agree with this!

On another note, are the Recaros worth it? I understand they're not electric and was wondering about adjustment and comfort.

100% worth it! If you were deciding between shaker pro and recaros I'd say recaros all the way. Much more comfortable, functional and I think they are better quality leather (although I don't have any facts to back that up). Loved them in my 2012 and they seem to have made them better by adding Alcantera in some spots so they hold you in place and handle wear better than before (which was already way better than the factory seat). Yes you give up electric and heated options but it was well worth the trade off IMO.

100% worth it! If you were deciding between shaker pro and recaros I'd say recaros all the way. Much more comfortable, functional and I think they are better quality leather (although I don't have any facts to back that up). Loved them in my 2012 and they seem to have made them better by adding Alcantera in some spots so they hold you in place and handle wear better than before (which was already way better than the factory seat). Yes you give up electric and heated options but it was well worth the trade off IMO.

Great post. Thanks.

I have a bad back from a car accident I was in years ago. This makes riding in a car uncomfortable for the most part for any length of time. To drive long distances I usually have be in either a pick-up truck, tractor trailer or SUV with a more conventional upright seating position to drive long distances without being so stiff or in pain afterwards that it takes a day to recover. With the Recaro seats in the Shelby, I have driven as much as 800 miles in a day without major problems afterwards. Even though my legs are extended forward in the footwell area, versus sitting much more upright in a truck or SUV. The seats are worth ever penny you pay for them in my opinion.

I have a bad back from a car accident I was in years ago. This makes riding in a car uncomfortable for the most part for any length of time. To drive long distances I usually have be in either a pick-up truck, tractor trailer or SUV with a more conventional upright seating position to drive long distances without being so stiff or in pain afterwards that it takes a day to recover. With the Recaro seats in the Shelby, I have driven as much as 800 miles in a day without major problems afterwards. Even though my legs are extended forward in the footwell area, versus sitting much more upright in a truck or SUV. The seats are worth ever penny you pay for them in my opinion.

Thanks for your input. I found a vert on the East Coast; but, it didn't have them. I was kind of surprised. I know now I definitely want them.

• 6 months later...

I believe the new Shaker Pro is terrible. I had a 2003 GT with the Mach 1000 and it destroys this stereo. The Mach 1000 had a on/off button. If this has one I have not found it because it is trash compared to the Mach system. I do not know where the vibrating mirrors come into play but mine does not, they flicker but they do not vibrate. I trade my Lightning in with 2 Boston Acoustic 10's in a ProBox and it destroys the Pro System in my Shelby for 1000 dollars cheaper. Very disappointed in the Pro System not much difference than the stereo that was in the 2013 GT I drove until mine came in. Save your money and go to Best Buy and put your best components together, you will come out way ahead. Just my 2 cents.

To answer your other question, Am I happy with my 13? Yes I love it. Awesome car and love driving it. Rides great, absolutely flies on command, and handles strong. Well worth the investment.

Had the Shaker 1000 in our 08 GT and the standard one in the 12 GT 500. I couldn't tell the difference and we like it well enough that it isn't worth it to us to change it out.

As far as the Recaro seats-the 08 had heated and electric which I really liked because I am short and could get farther away from the steering wheel. In order to push the clutch all the way in, I am closer to the steering wheel than I would like and have to move the seat to get in and out which is a pain. But I do like the way the Recaro seats feel and will take the inconvenience over the standard seats.

In order to push the clutch all the way in, I am closer to the steering wheel than I would like and have to move the seat to get in and out which is a pain. But I do like the way the Recaro seats feel and will take the inconvenience over the standard seats.

Maybe this would be a good option for you? Bondra Performance Engineering

Its not. You can pay the same amount to JL audio get a sub with an enclosure built specifically for the car and a good amp for the sub. All the shaker pro does is throw that ugly ass big sub in your trunk. It just makes your system louder not better.

If you really want a good system you can also use that 1200 to replace all the speakers and forget about a sub in the trunk.

i 100% agree, I ordered it mine and have been less than thrilled with the sound quality. I used to work in car audio installation and have always had high end after-market equipment. i didn't want to mess with the shelby interior and opted for the shaker package out of laziness. now I wish I had kep that cash and put in some upgraded speakers, sub, and amp.

Thanks for your input. I found a vert on the East Coast; but, it didn't have them. I was kind of surprised. I know now I definitely want them.

definitely wait to get the Recaros. a local dealer had the car I wanted with stock seats and I almost went with them but eventually was able to order to my spec and got the Recaros. They are amazing, super comfortable and they look awesome.

Ya know what would be funny?

Picture this: Shelby hires a guy who was a pioneer in Audio Mastering, a guy who many Record Labels employed to ensure their "product" was released: "Ready For Public Consumption". Hi, my name is Jer Gervasi, and HERE YOU GO:

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading the posts on this topic with interest, as noone I have contacted with Ford has a clue about the Shaker Pro. I have talked to folks in the Customer Relations Center, umpteen times (was directed to the In Vehicle Tech Department @ 1-800-334-4375-option1 then option 3-which apparently doesn't exist), and even tried, (after being referred)- the Ford Performance Group who suggested asking the dealer to have someone explain the My Ford Touch system, which after calling my dealer was told that the 2013 Mustangs including the Shelby GT 500, even with Navigation do not have the My Ford Touch system. What an experience. None of the so called techs or whatever you want to call them in these Ford Divisions were even the slightest bit informed about the questions I had about the 13 Shelby GT 500, and couldn't find the answers in their databanks, even after checking with their supervisors. There is nothing anywhere in the 2013 Mustang owners manual, or GT500 supplements that even references the Shaker systems as was done with earlier Shaker 500/1000 systems. I asked them if they could provide me with a number or address to Shaker, which apparently is a division within Ford, with no success. I think I would have better success trying to find out information about U.S military Stealth technology than finding answers to my questions about the 2013 Shelby GT500. Some of my questions were why does the 2013 Shelby GT 500 not have the rear park assist/rear camera as is indicated included with the Navigation system in the resource literature the factory sends the dealers, the 2013 Sourcebook; where the hell is the enhanced bass performance mode located with the Shaker Pro system, again listed in the 2013 Sourcebook and found in the menu in earlier shaker 1000 systems in the menu under Shaker, and also found in earlier owners manuals which describe how to access the enhanced bass preformance mode,sometimes referred to as the "Sonic Boom", Don't get me wrong, I love the 13 Shelby GT500, but what a pathetic resource system Ford has for these basic queries. I also pointed out that the window sticker for the 2013 Shelby has two of the 821A Performance Package features, the cockpit select Bilstein dampers, and the unique 3:31 rear axle with Torsen differential, listed in the wrong place, under the top section under "standard equipment included at no extra charge, under Functional", instead of being under the lower options section under Equipment Group 821A. The rest of the features of the Performance Package, including SVT tuned front and rear suspension, unique stiffer front and rear springs, larger front and rear stabilizer bars, and tarnish wheels, aren't even listed. One person wrote up my complaints and all the others I talked to could not have cared less. There are also some inconsistencies with the 2013 Shelby GT500 data on the Ford site where you build your car, which show the Shaker pro with a Shaker 1000 picture, some places state 2 rear subwoofers some state one rear subwoofer with the Shaker Pro, and the rear axle ratio is listed as 3:55. All in all pretty conflicting, and contradicting information in places. Going back to the Shaker Pro issue I guess maybe the best thing for a 2013 Shelby GT500 owner would be to turn off the Shaker Pro system, roll down the window, stand on the accelerator, and as put forth in the Sept 2012 issue of Hotrod under the" Baddest Mustang Ever" article on page 88 middle of the page, just listen to the exhaust note which "at seven grand sounds like angels having sex with a symphony orchestra that just dropped acid. It's truly the stuff wet car dreams are made of ". I guess if all else fails check out the Shelby Kicker Premium Sound System, which looks pretty similar to the Shaker Pro system from Ford, although I don't know how the various response rates for the speakers compare, as well as the amps etc., but the speaker and subwoofer sizes are pretty much equal. The Shelby Kicker Premium Sound System is about $100 + shipping more expensive than the factory Shaker Pro option, and of course you get to install the Shelby Kicker Premium Sound System yourself. Whether the pain is worth the gain is anyone's guess. Personally, I'll live with my Shaker Pro and stay factory stock. Sorry for any mispellings, I have edited this until I am blue in the face- mdoc442. I just received an update after yet another call to Ford. After getting unsatisfactory answers from the girl that fielded my call, who didn't know her ass from a hole in the ground, I requested to speak with a supervisor which she reluctantly enabled. The supervisor I spoke with actually expended a little effort and got me an answer with regard to the Shaker Pro and whether it has the "enhanced bass performance mode" which was found in the Shaker 1000 in years prior. Apparently the Shaker Pro in the 2013 Shelby GT500 does not have the "enhanced bass performance mode". Some likely reasons for the Shaker folks removing this mode, are that the Shaker Pro has less power than the Shaker 1000 and only one 10" subwoofer compared to the Shaker 1000's two 10" subwoofers. Also tied into this, the Navigation can be purchased with the Shaker Pro, or vice-versa. Apparently the folks at Shaker for some reason feel that the "sonic boom" of the Shaker 1000 is no longer relevant, and decided to not carry it over into the 2013 Shelby GT500. Still kinda sucks that they did not include any operation information in the 2013 GT500 owners manual or supplements for the Shaker and expensive optional Shaker Pro. Some information with similarities to the Shaker/Shaker Pro stereo system can be prospected from the information offered for whatever that radio is in the 2013 Mustang owners manual and in the Navigation section in the same manual. What a pain in the ass. Pretty poor all around information delivery system for a $60K + vehicle is all I can say.As far as I can ascertain the price for the Shaker 1000 and Shaker Pro are the same. Pay the same for less, the American way nowadays it seems. Interestingly, on the 2013 Shelby GT500 total production sheet that came along with my COA, VIN decoder, and a nice generic thank you letter from the Ford Performance Group, mass produced with no name, just Dear 2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Owner, for only $45.00 + $10.00 shipping= $55.00 total, the Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 production numbers are listed-no Shaker Pro = WTF? mrdoc442

Wow..Everybody has their own personal taste..mine came with pro audio..I think it sounds great..I did see a 2013 for sale on another site..grabber blue that the customer installed his own equipment..It really turned my off from his car due to the amount of interior that had been removed and the amount of wiring through out the car..It might sound better...but I couldn't image tearing out the interior and running that maize of wiring..

Ya know what would be funny?

Picture this: Shelby hires a guy who was a pioneer in Audio Mastering, a guy who many Record Labels employed to ensure their "product" was released: "Ready For Public Consumption". Hi, my name is Jer Gervasi, and HERE YOU GO:

Well Jer time to ask the expert: I have a 13 with the nav system and no sub. What is the upgrade route for the sound system? The sub is not really a priority as we like the trunk space without the sub. We both have a bit (me more so) of hearing loss; We can hear the lows fine but the highs are what we are missing. So what would the expert suggest?

Thanks

Glen

Archived