TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HELP. 5 Speed stuck in gear...

Well guys, it has been a particularly Sh%&*ty week. I have a rear axle torn up and pulled apart in my Bronco. My Kubota mower has sheared off some sort of splines on the clutch or transmission shaft. And I have noticed the rear limited slip starting to slip in the mornings when it is cold on the Shelby GT. In the last two days, that issue has gotten worse. Not sure if it will be covered by warranty, but I do have the Ford extended warranty. I guess we will find out on that issue...

The worse though, is that while all my stuff is in various states of disrepair, I drove home in my last driveable car today (the Shelby). Backed into the driveway, put the shifter back in first before turning the engine off... and the shifter locked up in the center of the gear pattern. The car appears to be in first gear, but i cannot move the shifter to any other location.

I am really pissed because I treat my vehicles with care and baby things. The Bronco has never been off road. The big diesel Kubota is driven gently for mowing my small residential yard only. And, the Mustang is driven gently as well. Never a burnoff. Never road raced. Never severely beat on. I enjoy driving my equipment, but I respect it.

Any ideas on getting this damn transmission out of it's current locked up state???

PS: I started taking things apart from the top side and the first thing I see is the Shelby/Hurst shift handle is dangerously close to falling off. I am surprised that I couldn't feel the slop of that as I am normally in tune with that sort of stuff, but I guess the transition from tight bolts to loose happened gradually. I had read on the forums that this was an issue, but hadn't really noticed. Once uncovering the bolts it was obvious that there was a LOT of slop present! Looking forward to seeing how that feels tightened back up once I get the thing unstuck. I hate to take it to the dealer, but I may have to.

Oops. Not sure how I got a double post, but thanks for an answer on this one! I'll give that a try. I was just reading on another forum that moving the car even with the clutch in seemed to release a stuck manual trans. Heading out to give it a go.

Update: Just tried moving the car, with and without the clutch depressed. Nothing working.

One more quick update for now. The car was actually stuck in 5th gear (I thought it was in 1st which is what I was shifting to from reverse.)

After removing the console and also messing with the shifter rail from under the car, I finally decided to just take it in for warranty service.

I'll report back what they find out as it may help someone else later.

Have a good weekend all.

Update: The dealer has had the car for almost a week now. They have the transmission on the bench partially disassbled and have not yet discovered the problem. They are talking about putting a whole new transmission in. I would really like to know what specifically is wrong but they seem to think there will be less warranty expense to replace the transmission rather than go deeper into the existing transmission. Should know more soon.

Yeah what he said..... inquiring minds want to know....

Hey guys. Good news. I have the car back. All is well. The Ford warranty covered everything.

The car was actually stuck in 4th gear, not 5th. The handle was in the neutral position, the transmission in 4th. Their SVT tech ended up bench disassembling the transmission and overhauled it with new 3-4 synchro and blocker rings and shift fork, as well as a 5th gear blocker ring to the tune of $1,724.77. Fortunately, I had purchased extended warranty that was still in effect on this 28K mile car.

I will say this too. I drive the car in a very spirited manner. I use the car for what it is built for, in an aggressive way, pretty much every day. I just don't do 150 foot burnoffs, full power shifts and other crazy moves in the car. Not saying there is anything wrong with doing that necessarily, more so that it surprised me to have this problem when I know others that have seriously abused their hot rods without breaking the trans.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I went out for a drive this morning and just absolutely enjoyed being in the car for an hour or so.

post-24787-0-82562100-1347720698_thumb.jpg

post-24787-0-82562100-1347720698_thumb.jpg

Yep, it's funny, I just got a new job that is 19 miles away on nice roads versus 3 miles away on chuckhole, inner town, multi stoplight, nightmare way. My first thought in the past would have been the cost of gas driving 40 miles back and forth to work everyday. Instead, I thought, "Hmmm, that is about 4-5 songs on Pandora blasting away in the Shelby. I can do that!"

Archived