TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 vs. GT500KR....Help!

x-Boss429

Hey Guys, I need some help here. This site has never been short on informed opinion or flagrant speculation. I may need both. I heard from my dealer this week. They claim they will be able to get a 500KR. I know, I know..... not until next spring and there is no guarantee they will get an allocation. However, they are SVT, Presidential, Grand Poobah and so on, so the odds are at least there. Now here is why I am caught on the horns of a dilemma, my trade in would be attractive to them as they could make money off my car twice. (I can't afford both) I don't want to follow this pipe dream if it wouldn't work, arguably making my enjoyment of my GT500 less as I suffered angst trying to catch the KR. Here is the rationale:

CON:

I love my car, no wheel hop, stripes straight, fun to drive, no problems.

Could easily duplicate the extra HP for much less cost.

My car is paid for, I am sure a giant ADM would come with the KR.

Worry about getting the KR for the next 12 months.

Suffering disappointment if it didn't work out.

Would I suffer the same angst when the XX comes out?

Did I mention I really like my car?

PRO:

It is a limited edition KR.

Keep in mind I am not a rational human being in this arena as I still suffer post traumatic stress from selling my Boss 429 when I was young and stupid. First or second biggest mistake of my life, along with my first marriage. (As an aside, the first marriage debacle was worth it considering the co-pilot I am fortunate enough to have now!) Investment is not an issue as whichever car I have will go to my son whenever I take my horizontal dirt nap.

Help me! What would you do?

:banghead::sos:

Hey Guys, I need some help here. This site has never been short on informed opinion or flagrant speculation. I may need both. I heard from my dealer this week. They claim they will be able to get a 500KR. I know, I know..... not until next spring and there is no guarantee they will get an allocation. However, they are SVT, Presidential, Grand Poobah and so on, so the odds are at least there. Now here is why I am caught on the horns of a dilemma, my trade in would be attractive to them as they could make money off my car twice. (I can't afford both) I don't want to follow this pipe dream if it wouldn't work, arguably making my enjoyment of my GT500 less as I suffered angst trying to catch the KR. Here is the rationale:

CON:

I love my car, no wheel hop, stripes straight, fun to drive, no problems.

Could easily duplicate the extra HP for much less cost.

My car is paid for, I am sure a giant ADM would come with the KR.

Worry about getting the KR for the next 12 months.

Suffering disappointment if it didn't work out.

Would I suffer the same angst when the XX comes out?

Did I mention I really like my car?

PRO:

It is a limited edition KR.

Keep in mind I am not a rational human being in this arena as I still suffer post traumatic stress from selling my Boss 429 when I was young and stupid. First or second biggest mistake of my life, along with my first marriage. (As an aside, the first marriage debacle was worth it considering the co-pilot I am fortunate enough to have now!) Investment is not an issue as whichever car I have will go to my son whenever I take my horizontal dirt nap.

Help me! What would you do?

:banghead::sos:

I would wait until the SAI announcement this week and see if this has any bearing on your thought process. If they are simply additions to add to your GT500, I would look at signing up for the KR. Especially if:

A. You plan on keeping in the family as you mention above.

B. They solidly commit to 1,000 units.

C. The KR is exactly what you want.

D. The dealer is willing to sign a contract up front.

One draw back for me is the color of the actual units. I really, really liked the look of the KR with the silver paint and 20" wheels. I think I've read on this board that it won't have 20's and it won't be available in the color/stripe option. Well WTF. Why set-up the prototype thay way if you have no intention of offering it.

Just my opinion.

HSURB

With what I've heard on the projected MSRP's and what I know the ADM's will be, I'd have a hard time actually driving a Mustang that I had that much money in.

What is the projected MSRP? I am speculating that the car will not list for more than 58K.

XBOSS

I totally agree with you about duplicating the car with yours with similar mods for far less the money. The KR is going to be a TRUE limited production car that WILL be worth big bucks some day. Much more so than the ShelbyGT500

I would negoitate with the dealer and get a agreeable ADM fee over MSRP for the KR over. Have them put a number on your car now ... and when the car is made its yours.

If you can get a reasonable ADM fee that your happy with ... i would do it !

I'm just guessing at MSRP like everybody else but I say $65-$70K. I base it on the Shelby GT pricing. Take the base GT500 MSRP, roughly $45K, add an upfitter package from Ford, say $4K (double the Shelby GT), and then add the SAI pricing $16-20K (2 times what the Shelby GT's is). The GT500KR looks like it will take more work and has more exspensive pieces (hood and others) than the Shelby GT. Again just a guess from an uniformed person. Then let the ADM game begin.

PS.

After they come out with initial pricing in the next couple of months, don't forget to add $3-5K on top of that for final pricing. Just like they did with the GT500 and the Shelby GT.

Despite what everyone is saying about the upcoming secrets and goodies for our cars I say if you can do it and can get the KR go for it. I too am #1 on the KR list with a cashed cheque deposit already. I love my GT500 and if I do keep it, it will remain a GT500. Not a KR clone or a ?? clone. No offense to anyone who is thinking about the upcoming KR package from SAI or the 40th.

Sounds to me like your mind is already made up. Like you mine is also made up, question is will these cars come anywhere near north of the 49th parallel? I hope so, and if so, I'm in for one.

If you got a good trust-worthy dealer, and can get the "KR" at msrp sticker or just alittle above ,...Get The KR, hands down!!!!! If not, keep what you have and modify, cause it surely won't be worth paying 10k-20k+ over msrp,...unless your last name is Gates. ;)

This has been another episode of 'more money than sense'

Thank you for joining us, we look forward to seeing you next time. (this is a message to people that already have a GT500 that they more than likely paid a huge ADM for, thinking about getting the KR which will have another ADM on top of an inflated price)

If you guys want to get rid of those dead presidents so badly, please send them to me so I can put them to better use.

-DC

Thank you for joining us, we look forward to seeing you next time. (this is a message to people that already have a GT500 that they more than likely paid a huge ADM for, thinking about getting the KR which will have another ADM on top of an inflated price)

If you guys want to get rid of those dead presidents so badly, please send them to me so I can put them to better use.

-DC

Who said anything about any ADM's? and up here in Canada we don't use dead presidents.

:D ;)

If you got a good trust-worthy dealer, and can get the "KR" at msrp sticker or just alittle above ,...Get The KR, hands down!!!!! If not, keep what you have and modify, cause it surely won't be worth paying 10k-20k+ over msrp,...unless your last name is Gates. ;)

:hysterical2: Try $100k at best!

-DC

What is truly "more money than sense" ?

If the KR is a true collectors item .. much more so than our beloved ShelbyGT500, a REASONABLE ADM fee is worth the price of admission to this show.

One might ask what is reasonable ? It will vary dependant upon the various depths of our pocket books.

We have people on Boca Grande .. its the Palm Beach of the West coast ... and I know of several people on the island that generate about 8,000,000 a day .... just stupid sick money ..... and if this person is a true car collector ....

Well madness is than truly devine in this case !

x-Boss429

I find myself in the exact same dilemma. My dealer says he will buy my car back ( less the +5k over ) and sell me his order for the KR ( +20k over ). I love my Shelby but the possibility for a KR is worth looking into. In the meantime, I’m going to SAI next Friday to get some info on upgrades they offer. I will post any information I get.

Good Luck,

Dan

x-Boss429

I find myself in the exact same dilemma. My dealer says he will buy my car back ( less the +5k over ) and sell me his order for the KR ( +20k over ). I love my Shelby but the possibility for a KR is worth looking into. In the meantime, I’m going to SAI next Friday to get some info on upgrades they offer. I will post any information I get.

Good Luck,

Dan

Thanks Dan, I will keep you posted on my trials and tribulations as well. Still not sure if I want to go through all the drama for the KR since I am happy with mine. As you said though, it is worth looking into. :headscratch:

Archived