TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clear Bra for GTS

lbj

I needed to get the 3M clear bra done before I had any significant damage to the new front end.

And boy, talk about pricey.

I used the same guy that does all the cars at the local BMW dealership and he has been doing this since the late 1990s.

He also tells me my GTS was the most complicated labor intensive car he has ever done and he has done a lot of cars over the years.

I kind of went overboard on the amount of material used because there is a lot to protect.

We ended up going all the way to the top of the rise on the deep draw hood, coming around the curve a ways then made an angle towards the side fenders that ended at the wheel wells towards the back portion of the front tires.

The mirror, the area inside the door handles and also on the rear quarter panels above the lower black facia on the paint that is exposed to rock damage from those 285 width rear tires.

At least it's on and I can now go on the highway and things, but still... 1200 freaking dollars!

Beware guys, the price way more than I figured on.

Oh and don't watch the install.

I did and watching the guy cut the material laying on the paint, I almost became apoplectic.

I decided that since I have gloss white stripes, I wouldn't get a color change to the stripes if we did the clear bra over them. Jeremy had mentioned this.

He was right. However, he said if you have black matte, it would make them look shiny.

I may end up getting a little lift of the clear bra material here and there around the stripe edges, I will have to wait and see. The installer wanted me to wait 3 days before returning and then have will work on it if need be.

In my mind, I needed the clear bra over the stripes so I can use a power sprayer to get the bugs off the front end.

He did give me the option of doing the clear bra right up next to them and leaving the stripes alone.

I also just ordered the SPP splash guards for the front and rear to protect my lower side stripes.

There is repaving going on near my home and I was getting tar on the stripes, which indicated to me where rock damage will happen to them in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I needed to get the 3M clear bra done before I had any significant damage to the new front end.

And boy, talk about pricey.

I used the same guy that does all the cars at the local BMW dealership and he has been doing this since the late 1990s.

He also tells me my GTS was the most complicated labor intensive car he has ever done and he has done a lot of cars over the years.

I kind of went overboard on the amount of material used because there is a lot to protect.

We ended up going all the way to the top of the rise on the deep draw hood, coming around the curve a ways then made an angle towards the side fenders that ended at the wheel wells towards the back portion of the front tires.

The mirror, the area inside the door handles and also on the rear quarter panels above the lower black facia on the paint that is exposed to rock damage from those 285 width rear tires.

At least it's on and I can now go on the highway and things, but still... 1200 freaking dollars!

Beware guys, the price way more than I figured on.

Oh and don't watch the install.

I did and watching the guy cut the material laying on the paint, I almost became apoplectic.

I would want to watch every bit of the install. Would never trust anyone to not scratch my car when cutting the material. I guess most shops would use the insurance excuse to prevent customers watching the work.

Yeah, that is why I watched.

So far so good. I had passed on having the HID headlight done but now I am thinking I will call the guy and have them done in clear too.

I am a bit worried about light refraction though.

Archived