TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moving to Scotland, maybe

Afdharley

Wife and I are seriously looking into this about 4 years from now. We have many questions and probably some we haven't thought of yet too.

First that comes to mind is, I want to bring my Shelby and someone mentioned that I may have to convert it to right hand drive or pay a tax for not doing so. Is this the case?

If you have other things I need to consider please share. I've been looking into our health care insurance and pensions and things seem good on that end.

Anyway, thanks. Tim

You're in it now...

I thought so but rocky confused me :confused: :D

Anyway, I did a google search...google is your friend ;) ....and found that you don't have to convert to right hand drive. You do need to convert a few lights and other things to make it legal there. The kicker is the 10% import tax and then the 17.5%VAT all on the amount I paid for the car plus the cost of insurance. That adds up to close to $12.5Gs!

The move may be possible but taking the Shelby is looking like a dream at this point :(

Yeah, if you think the tax rates are high in the US, you have no idea compared to what they pay in some countries in Europe. I learned a lot on the Shelby Run Europe trip this summer.

I know in the Netherlands you pay income tax on a tiered scale, i.e. 25% on first $25k, 35% on next 25k, 45% on everything above that. Plus you pay tax on any money you have in savings at the end of the year. Plus 20% VAT (sales tax). I think the 20% VAT is for all of the EU, but I dont know the income or savings info for the UK/Scotland.

Also you need to check on registration and license plate fees. In Denmark it can cost 200% of the vehicle purchase price just to get plates for imported cars and your insurance will not cover that fee if the car is totaled and you want to replace. Have a friend who had a Ford GT over there, he paid $125k for the car and over $200k to get it registered - but if it were to be wrecked he would only get the $125k so he sold it.

There is a possibility we may do some of the UK for Shelby Run Europe 2016!

There is a possibility we may do some of the UK for Shelby Run Europe 2016!

Define "UK"... Driving around London for a day, or touring around the entire island (England, Wales & Scotland) for a week???

Define "UK"... Driving around London for a day, or touring around the entire island (England, Wales & Scotland) for a week???

Gregg, its still 4 years off! :hysterical2: There is a lot of planning to do. I was just saying that the UK is one of the options we will be looking at.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys

Sorry only just come across this thread. I'm Scottish but living in NYC. I have lots of petrolhead friends back in Scotland including one who bought a Shelby in the

us and shipped it back. It does not need to be converted to RHD but will require some work to be road legal - making sure headlights point in the right direction, proper indicators ( not flashing tail lights etc) but nothing you won't be able to handle. From memory if you've owned and used the car for more than a year and are planning to emigrate to "the promised land" then I think you can get round the import duty / VAT issue etc. If you are still thinking about it I can speak with my mate and find out what it cost him etc and if you have any other questions about Bonnie Scotland, living there etc etc just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them

I'm Scottish also. Remember Scotland may be a separate country from the UK by then (I hope not but there is a vote of full devolution in September this year).

Your main issues will be with getting the headlights and indicator lights legal and perhaps emissions. There is also a tax penalty (I believe) for cars with engines larger than 2.0 litres.

• 2 weeks later...

You should PM UKGT500. He is a recent new member and maybe able to give you pointers as to where you can get new rear lights(you need to have amber turn signals) I am an ex-pat who now lives in Canada,but I did ship a Z28 Camaro back to the UK in 1995 and drove it there before I came back.it was worth having and driving there although there are some times it was a pain!

Getting onto roundabouts as one example(ya can't always see to the right cause of the angle!) going into a Parkade etc(on your own)

If you love your car and would miss it,you gotta take it with you!

Archived