TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Age of 1991 LX and wear

Im looking at a 1991 lx with supposedly 29,900k on the ticker. Carfax does show good but I showed a mechanic friend of mine pics and the only thing he didnt like was the odemeter reading. He didnt like that the numbers werent lined up. He says that usually means rollback. And also he told me to look at the peddals for wear which makes sense. So I have included a couple pics. What do you think.

rug2.jpg

photo.jpg

odometer.jpg

T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hfCBQluKJ260_3.jpg

engine.jpg

door.jpg

KGrHqRHJDIEGHqtBdlBQluZLiLw60_3.jpg

T2eC16FHJHoE9n3Kd30TBQlvDnnw60_3.jpg

4378303_0013.jpg

Back in the old day you normally could look at a brake pedal and tell by the wear. The upper right hand side would be worn to the metal around the 70K+ mark. Between 30 and 60K there would be much more wear on the right-side rubber as that's where most people would take their foot off the gas and catch the top of the brake pedal with their right foot. Look also at the driver's side seat belt on the left-side where it cross the seat. Extra wear would be noticable for a higher mileage car. I will say it looks clean underneath and the odometer number lineup doesn't look that bad to me. The 5.0LX's are tough little cars. I had two and one and sold one, a 1989, at 197,000+ miles and it was still going strong. The young guy I sold it to finally blew the motor running 150 shot of NOS through at 240,000 miles. The motor had never been apart and I had only replaced a timing chain at 180K.

I'm not as concerned with the odometer as the paint job and rust undercarriage. The fox body odometers do act like that quite regularly. Notice the 9 right behind the 2 lines up well, the next 9 has a zero behind it. The numbers don't tend to line up until the following number get's closer to turning over. They do regularly 'push' the next number up. I'm guessing in another 90 miles that the next 9 will be more lined up. Pretty typical on those cars. You being in NY, maybe the rust on the rear end cover, etc. is more common. Here in CO, I'd say no way. Over 100K, you would be more likely to see much more oil build up underneath. However that can be cleanned, so spend time looking in tight areas where it would be tough to get grime and oil build up. More pics of the interior seat condition etc would be helpful. The pockets on the doors look pretty good, those normally show much more wear with more miles. So looks believable to me, but somewhat questionable still. More pics of the overall car would be helpful.

Heat usually eats up the foam on the AC lines going around the back of the motor over time. The lack of any seapage around the front crank and other things like that are making it look a lot more believable. Stickers on the coil cover, air cleaner box, etc. are making me think that the miles are really low. The cleanliness of the windshield washer lid and tank, etc. Looks pretty good. I'm leaning towards those miles as accurate. I'm guessing they did not like the color?

Hopefully SVOC Jeff will see this and chime in. He is the Fox body master, but I think he would agree. Looking at that underhood pic, I'd say yea, those miles are accurate. Overflow tank, plug wires, clamps on all the lines-all factory. It all adds up other than the re-paint and rust underneath, but again, in your area, that is probably quite normal unless kept in a climate controlled garage.

Why do you guys say re-paint> on this car with those limited pics I posted. This is supposed to be original paint. This car is in CA and Im in NY. The old story came out about a couple owned the car with the husband the died and she drove it sparingly. And the rust can happen IMO on any car sitting. My 2009 GT500KR with 900 miles on it has surface rust on the axle

I'll leave the mechanical aspect to an actual mechanic (looks good to me), but I'd like to chime in on the carpets and lining on the door. That is very very clean, although a Bissel green machine and some time could do that. However, there is so little wear that I'd at least assume that the car hasn't been abused by mud, boots, or crazy hot-rodders.

The color under the hood, that would be the color of the car. The car was not blue. All fox body mustangs had the same color under the hood as the rest of the car. See how the color changes from blue to gray at the very edge of the fender to under the hood? That is all one piece of metal where the fender bolts down to the inner fender. Ford did not paint the fender two different colors to match under the hood. If the car was blue, the prop rod and everything else you see under the hood would be blue.

I think that car is supposed to be Titanium Frost. If so, the paint code in the door jamb would be YX. However, those do look like the original fenders, you can verify by the VIN code on the little white stickers you can see under the hood on the edge of the fenders. Those stickers should match to the vin number of the car.

The color under the hood, that would be the color of the car. The car was not blue. All fox body mustangs had the same color under the hood as the rest of the car. See how the color changes from blue to gray at the very edge of the fender to under the hood? That is all one piece of metal where the fender bolts down to the inner fender. Ford did not paint the fender two different colors to match under the hood. If the car was blue, the prop rod and everything else you see under the hood would be blue.

I think that car is supposed to be Titanium Frost. If so, the paint code in the door jamb would be YX. However, those do look like the original fenders, you can verify by the VIN code on the little white stickers you can see under the hood on the edge of the fenders. Those stickers should match to the vin number of the car.

All the vins match. Could it be just the pic

Interesting, so it was just the shadowing and the light that made it look dark blue. Looks good to me! Beautiful 91. Looks like a great car. Can you share the asking price? I'm not interested in the car, but interested in what they are asking for curiosity. I'm always watching the different Mustang values. Nice original Fox body's are getting very tough to find.

Interesting, so it was just the shadowing and the light that made it look dark blue. Looks good to me! Beautiful 91. Looks like a great car. Can you share the asking price? I'm not interested in the car, but interested in what they are asking for curiosity. I'm always watching the different Mustang values. Nice original Fox body's are getting very tough to find.

I think I can get this for 7500-7000

The wires have the year on them in black numbers. I would imagine they are correct. $7 to 7,500 would be very fair. I was thinking more along the $8,500 range for a car that nice. It would probably be worth close to $9,500 to 10K to the right buyer.

The color being dull under the edges of the hood is very normal. Never get's polished like this car clearly is.

Airbox silencer still in there

Then more than likely it's as it appears. That was the first thing we all did to our Foxes. I've got two floating around in my garage somewhere I removed back in the 80's and 90's. I owned two and loved everything but the seats. On trips over about four hours the seat would bother my back. I would roll up a towel and put it between the seat and the small of my back for comfort. They were probably two of the best daily drivers I ever had.

Well things are looking better but if it were me I would have someone inspect the car. The CarFax mileage not matching the odometer raises a concern but the sellers explanation is plausible.

I would check for date codes on the fan belt, sp wires and the head lights. If the car truly has 129k miles those items would have been replaced or in the case of the head lights, have lots of wear to the plastic. Another item to check are the brakes. Are the tinnerman clips still there. If the car shows no signs of a repaint then its looking even better that the mileage is correct.

The one other item that sticks out is that this car has been for sale for at least several months, why has no one purchased it at the $8k price the seller is asking?

Steve

I think the discrepancy on the carfax has scared alot of people away. It did scare me also but I have talked to him several times. the headlights look great and from what he said was not replaced

Oh and i did have an independent company inspect the car. It came back fine but I could tell they are not that knowledgeable. The paint thickness was 4.5 mils isnt that stock thickness

Paint code is YG. YG Medium Titanium Met./Medium Titanium Metallic

Archived