TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rebuildable GT500 on ebay

davidnz

If I had never don this before yes. One of the important things here is to cut the rear clip and top including A post exactly in the same spot.. A lot of measuring and re measuring must be done. Then set the rear clip in position with windows and doors on the car to assure every thing lines up. (more to it than that but thats a couple of the major things you must do)

I can't do it, I would have to finance part of it when it is done to replace the money I would use to buy it and the credit union won't touch the rebuilt title status. Too bad I was thinking no more than 30k for it completed. Wife says sell the GTO and the elcamino and get one at sticker plus?? So if you have the desire and the money this car is not as bad as it looks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for a local CU so I know all about not touching it. I am just going to wait until I can order or get a slightly used. If you can do it more power to it. Your technical ability is wayyyyyyy more than I will ever achieve :)

Roger

If I had never don this before yes. One of the important things here is to cut the rear clip and top including A post exactly in the same spot.. A lot of measuring and re measuring must be done. Then set the rear clip in position with windows and doors on the car to assure every thing lines up. (more to it than that but thats a couple of the major things you must do)

I can't do it, I would have to finance part of it when it is done to replace the money I would use to buy it and the credit union won't touch the rebuilt title status. Too bad I was thinking no more than 30k for it completed. Wife says sell the GTO and the elcamino and get one at sticker plus?? So if you have the desire and the money this car is not as bad as it looks.

Wasn't alot of the metal on the GT500 thicker for rigidity, especially the underside? So regular mustang metal won't do for most of this right? If thats what you were thinking using regular mustang parts. :shrug:

"Regular Mustang metal" lol

All 2007 Mustangs chassis' were reinforced. A Mustang chassis is a Mustang chassis. 4.0, 4.6, and 5.4. When they are made, it isn't known what car it will be for.

that car will bring over $27-30k............all day long

Its not hit that bad.Can easily ber fixed for $5k in used parts.People that do it for a living have much different access to parts that the general public dont.

I'm in the business, this Shelby is hurt and there is no easy repair. The only practical way to repair it is a process called clipping which is basically cutting the car in half at a factory body seam usually under the front seats and at the windshield posts and replacing the entire rear section with a used one. I would suggest the used rear section come off of an 06 or 07 Mustang, nothing earlier. It's also important to make sure the used section is still in factory measurement specs and not distorted from the hit that totaled the car it came off of. This method, as with new parts, involves sectioning the unibody rails and precise measuring so you better know what you're doing and have the proper equipment. But clipping is not an approved method of collision repair by any OEM manufacturers that I am aware of so there may be some declaration problems if the object is to fix and re-sell. Cost of repair with this method is probably 7500 to 10K. Some parts like the rear bumper cover will be strictly Shelby and probably won't be available used yet. Repairing this with new OEM parts is a HUGE job and I wouldn't try to put a cost on it without complete disassembly first.

Rich

If I really wanted a Shelby, then I would get one new with a clean title. I do agree that whoever buys it will have some very awesome times with it, and they really don't care about having a salvage title. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a salvage title. My father's '86 SVO was bought in 1986, but it was totaled (rollover). My father bought it, and drove it daily until the early 90's when there was an attempted theft of the vehicle. It's sat for 10+ years, but is in the process of being rebuilt

there is no reason you cannot just cut that car in half and use a regular mustang clip.Cheap enough.If anybody plans to make this car back into a pristine collectable, they are buying the wrong car.

Some have the illusion that everything has to be just so because its a shelby..Well guess what.Its a mustang and thats that. You could buy a complete body from ford for REAL cheap in white.If not there are PLENTY of rear clips for MUSTANGS. Lets be serious here ,This car is a mustang regardless of the sticker on the back................

First of all why would you buy it as a daily driver with gas prices as they are? Secondly, I had a beamer years ago which was a hatchet job...literally cut in half and put back together and with a clean title...crooks! The only way I found out what shape it was in was when someone hit me and the insurance company and body shop looked at it and they wouldn't touch it. Don't go near that car if you're smart.

With all due respect, I believe that you misread my post. I bought my Audi 5 years ago and had no problem with it whatsoever. I was just giving my personal experience as an exemple of a situation where buying a car with a salvaged title turned out just right (saved big bucks, no problem with the car). However, I am not suggesting by any mean that it is typical and I agree that one needs to be extra cautious when buying a car with a salvaged title, but my point was that with proper due diligence, you can end up with a very decent car at a substantially lower cost. I agree that resale value will suffer but if you plan to keep the car for a long time, the resale value issue becomes less relevant.

As I said in my post, I wouldn't personally touch this Shelby, even if I didn't already own one. However, I can understand that given the right set of circumstances (right price, proper repair, no short term plan to resell the car), someone who wants a GT500 might be interested by a car like this.

As far as you other comment ("...why would you buy it as a daily driver with gas prices as they are?"), I am not sure which car you were talking about. I agree with you if you were referring to the Shelby. However, I was referring to my Audi which isn't very hard on gas.

I'm in the business, this Shelby is hurt and there is no easy repair. The only practical way to repair it is a process called clipping which is basically cutting the car in half at a factory body seam usually under the front seats and at the windshield posts and replacing the entire rear section with a used one. I would suggest the used rear section come off of an 06 or 07 Mustang, nothing earlier. It's also important to make sure the used section is still in factory measurement specs and not distorted from the hit that totaled the car it came off of. This method, as with new parts, involves sectioning the unibody rails and precise measuring so you better know what you're doing and have the proper equipment. But clipping is not an approved method of collision repair by any OEM manufacturers that I am aware of so there may be some declaration problems if the object is to fix and re-sell. Cost of repair with this method is probably 7500 to 10K. Some parts like the rear bumper cover will be strictly Shelby and probably won't be available used yet. Repairing this with new OEM parts is a HUGE job and I wouldn't try to put a cost on it without complete disassembly first.

Rich

Since your gonna have to cut it in half, anyway, and Shelby components are so danged expensive, why not put a Sport Trac bed on the back and have the hottest little pick-up truck in town. :hysterical2:

Since your gonna have to cut it in half, anyway, and Shelby components are so danged expensive, why not put a Sport Trac bed on the back and have the hottest little pick-up truck in town. :hysterical2:

OOOPPS Somebody wrote that in the very next post.

DELETE!

There are NO Shelby parts on this car. It is ALL Ford. Any rear clip from a 06-07 Mustang will fit. Some mechanical parts, if needed, would be specific to this car but would be readily avaible from Ford. In the Denver market, it is about a $10 to $12k repair job by a body shop with a lot of unknowns regarding mechanical parts that may be needed. Salvage titles are usually not a problem, however some insurance companies will only give limitted coverage on salvage title vehicles. At the price it is now (and reserve not met) this car is only a "good buy" for someone who wants a project car and drive it till it drops. It is definently not an investment.

Wow! So far 8 different bidders have bid from $15k to $20,100 on this car. A car that is totalled!!!

Hmmmm. That seller must be one sharp cookie to be able to manipulate all those bidders into bidding that much! LOL

If that car could be fixed for $10k - $15k then why did the insurance company total it instead of just fixing it? Most insurance companies would just fix it to save a $1k bucks rather than total it!

It will be interesting to see how much it does sell for or if anyone hits the reserve and what the reserve is for that car.

Whoever buys it, I can't wait till they can't get a title because the car is totaled beyond repair, so they basically bought a GT500 crate motor and some misc. parts for 22k

Whoever buys it, I can't wait till they can't get a title because the car is totaled beyond repair, so they basically bought a GT500 crate motor and some misc. parts for 22k

If the title is a salvage, not rebuildable, its a parts car. If the title is a salvage rebuildable status it can be repaired and inspected and re-issued a new VIN number and then re-titled and licensed. there are plenty of experienced shops that can repair this and would be a good car if done correctly. The car will be a driver and never much on resale because this must be disclosed for ever as the title will say it also. I don't believe you can get them cleansed in Alabama any more or at least I hope they stopped that.

Has anyone found out whose car this is? How is the driver/ ocupants? I know they might be embarrassed if it was their fault, or did someone hit them?

My theory -

They were racing someone, were in front of them probably due to traffic then had to lock it up and stop because they were racing somewhere they shouldn't have.

The GT500 stopped faster than whatever was tailing them at too close a distance, and just got mashed by them.

I think this is a clear cut case of Darwinism.

At lease we can infer from this that these things stop pretty well. :hysterical2:

P.S. I think this car is finished other than as a donor for it's engine and possibly transmission. It will never be the same, not even close with that much frame and structural damage. All you GO owners just went up in value due to increased scarcity.

My theory -

They were racing someone, were in front of them probably due to traffic then had to lock it up and stop because they were racing somewhere they shouldn't have.

The GT500 stopped faster than whatever was tailing them at too close a distance, and just got mashed by them.

I think this is a clear cut case of Darwinism.

At lease we can infer from this that these things stop pretty well. :hysterical2:

P.S. I think this car is finished other than as a donor for it's engine and possibly transmission. It will never be the same, not even close with that much frame and structural damage. All you GO owners just went up in value due to increased scarcity.

Yeah, it looks that way, but if it did happen as you say wouldn't it be a good story to hear about? Like to hear their version of it. For now all we can do is make our own stories up about it, like they were driving so fast had to dodge someone that pulled into their lane spun out and when they countersteered lost control and their rear hit the jearsy barriers hows that? :bike:

I thought I would disclose what I have learned reference to the Rebuild able Shelby listed in the forum and on E- bay.

The reason I am posting my interpretation of this situation is to protect other consumers and warn them to be very cautious when purchasing a car like this. Please note the possibility that I have been given miss-information could exist.

The car has a Michigan title. Under the brand legend it says salvage vehicle. (Normal for this type of situation)

The car’s owner name on the title is Ford Motor Credit Company.

Car fax says registered as lease vehicle and sold at auction as salvage vehicle.

Under the 1st title reassignment the seller is an insurance company (I believe the first seller should have been FMC)

I spoke to a rep at the salvage company and he said they would transfer this through the Iowa DMV and the car would have a rebuild able status. (Basically a title I could use to repair the car and license it other than just for ownership of a parts car)

I specifically told him that my intent was to repair the car and apply for inspection and a rebuilt title status and license it.

I spoke with the State of Florida DMV office about the process and the possibility of applying for a salvage title and they said yes they would issue a salvage title but not allow application for a rebuilt title status because of the language used on the Michigan title. In Florida wth a salvage rebuild-able title you can submit receipts, have the state inspect the car, apply for and get a rebuilt title status. Sometimes the insurance companies will determine that a title will say salvage un-rebuild-able and then it is a parts car forever.

Another note is my credit union will finance 50 % of the value of a rebuilt vehicle under certain circumstances and also my insurance company refused to insure a rebuilt title vehicle.

I will not be bidding on this one, Be safe

I own a dealership and can tell you all you are all very confused.There is no difference in value between a "rebuilt" and "salvage" title or car. They all mean the same and nobody in the auto industry will disagree with me.They have all be wrecked and the different language doesnt mean $hit.

These cars can all be registered and insured.Anybody that tells you different doesnt know the truth.If your insurance company tells you they wont, change companies...........

Some states like NH make you bring back the car to factory condition including paint.NH does a very complete inspection and you need ALL reciepts in order to register the car.Some states will let you hack it to death.

In the end the only difference in value is what the person or (dealer) thinks of the repair job.That is what determines value not different language........

Salvage,rebuilt, or anything else you want to call it is all the same thing.......................

Being a past dealer, I would agree that ANY branded title ( salvage or rebuilt) is the same. In Oregon there is no financial bank or credit union that will loan money on a Branded title car. They are hard to sell and not worth anymore than 35-45 cents on the dollar if they are fixed correctly.

Randy

$26k and climing.................................

Geeeeeeez, I wonder if shelbygt500 will be right again? Although he is always disagreed with, in the end the truth prevails................

A few years ago I purchased a Chevy pick up with a Florida salvage non-rebuildable title. The truck was worth $1800.00 and the damage was from a minor side swipe down the side. Not much more than a big scratch. State farm processed the title as "salvage non-rebuild able" and the state of Florida would not process a "rebuilt title" application because of this. They told me had State farm processed a salvage rebuild able title rather than a salvage non- rebuild able title, application for a rebuilt title would be permissible. Because of the wording on the title this was a parts vehicle only and could not be any thing more ever under any circumstances.

Today. I spoke with the division of motor vehicles about the Shelby and also the supervisor at the tag agency, faxed a copy of the title to them and they both said this car would not and could not be under any circumstances transfered to a rebuilt title status. They agreed to transfer it to a State of Florida salvage non-rebuild able title to secure and or document ownership but clarified that even if the vehicle was repaired they would not allow processing a rebuilt title so that it could be licensed. Because of the wording on the Michigan title. The reason they would not do it was there interpretation of the language on the Michigan title was strictly for parts. One of them even looked up the Michigan statutes. Like I said, I could have been given mis-information but at this point I have to go by what they told me.

that car will bring over $27-30k............all day long

Its not hit that bad.Can easily ber fixed for $5k in used parts.People that do it for a living have much different access to parts that the general public dont.

Well looks like i hit that one on the head.....................$30k

For all the people who 'think" they know what it would cost to fix this almighty shelby, you are obviously wrong..

Heres the value of this car in black and white...................

Throw a clip on it and down the raod.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. What is FRPP's price on the motor? I would bet over $15K. That does not include the computer or tranny. So, if you bought this car and sold off all of the good Shelby body, interior parts and wheels/tires you could end up with a motor and tranny pretty cheap even if you pay $25K for the car.

How do we know if the RESERVE was met at $30k, did the $30k bidder actually get the car?

It ended with high bid of $30K and showed RESERVE NOT MET!

So basically a totaled out car that had a bid of $15K below MSRP of what it cost new and reserve not met!

Would you rather pay $55k - $60k for a brand new one or over $30k for a used with 10k miles that has been totaled and comes with a salvaged title????

Archived