TEAM SHELBY FORUM

suggestions for putting SC on 2008 shelby GT?

Paxton super charger is more efficient than a roots at higher RPMs which makes them great for road races. My Paxton really gives a kick when on the track like Road Atlanta! oh, "IMO" :drool:

Hope your wrist feels better.

They all will be fun, the instant torque of a screw is hard to beat though IMO lol

I heard the faster/harder shifts required to keep the rpms up could cause wrist damage with a centri blower....

In all seriousness though, I would have prob gone twin turbo had I not gotten a good deal on my whipple.

Boost = smiles no matter how fast it comes on.

I have early build Vista Blue 5-speed 2008 GT here in the UK. Beginning of this year took the car to Roush UK, who are the only Factory OE quality supplier here in England. I had their M90 Supercharger fitted and kept the standard cold air induction kit. They did the complete install and recalibration of the ECU, via their direct link to Roush USA. The kit installed is their 435hp one, which is rated at 450 with the cold air kit. This conversion was recommended because of its excellent finished driveability and less strain on the 4.6 bottom-end components. I also had them fit the latest uprated Roush belt tensioner assembly along with Granatelli coil packs. The Shelby fitted strut brace was swapped out for the Roush, one due to the supercharger needing greater clearance.

Driving experience is exceptional, no drivability issues what-so-ever, car behaves perfectly hot or cold. Below 3250rpm the car drives much like the standard non-charged car but has near instant throttle response. Above 3250rpm car is completely transformed, astounding performance as revs climb, howl of supercharger a bonus. Best performance upgrade i've ever done to a car.

The Paxton had more problems than not being CARB certified. Without getting into all the details, it is not recommended by others for many reasons. I was going to have one installed myself, but after talking with others, to include SAI people, I ran like Forest Gump in the opposite direction. Whipple is definitely the way to go. But, your opinion may vary, this is mine!!!

Problems such as? Please share with us.

The Paxton had more problems than not being CARB certified. Without getting into all the details, it is not recommended by others for many reasons. I was going to have one installed myself, but after talking with others, to include SAI people, I ran like Forest Gump in the opposite direction. Whipple is definitely the way to go. But, your opinion may vary, this is mine!!!

Problems such as? Please share with us.

You had to ask!!!!!! Here goes, from Car Review:

Summary:

if you all value your money,DO NOT buy a paxton belt driven supercharger.the hp and torque claims by the manufacture is b/s.i had a jet computor module that plugged in to my ecu that felt like it made more power.i cant understand that after spending that kind of money on the supercharger that it wont performe like a 300 dollar plug in module.very dissapointed.

Summary:

Looks Good but if you neglect it . It will Swrew up on you . Locked up on me once , got it Rebuilt 600.00 . ..... Was on it all the time so that way it would not happen again. Let my guard down " Boom " Locked up on me Again. This time i just have it in a Box in my House. Good Horsepower when it was working but sucks now. DO NOT BUY PAXTON !! purchase a Vortec or powerdine or pro charger . ! that all i can say now i guess .. Good luck to futher buyers on which ever one you choose. Try not to show it off took much Because People want they cant have ! Rob Tx.

Summary:

Purchased the kit back in spring of 2000. Sn-2000 kit for 85-87 TPI Camaros. After "RE-ENGINEERING!!!!" alot of small details to complete the install(including correcting a drive pulley installed backwards), supercharger did well for about 6 months...then...loud whining...locked up...melted the drive belts. I contacted Paxton and realized i had bought a product that had been "DISCONTINUED!!!!!". I was referred to "PARADISE WHEELS" in california for the rebuild at an expense of 700.00. Paradise wheels informed me to "avoid subjecting the unit to any engine Rpm greater than 5500" as to not hurt the supercharger.(Why couldnt Paxton inform me of this??????) I installed a rev-limiter set at 5500rpm. No problems with the unit goin on more than two years.("BUT", at 6 psi, i have blown a head gasket twice!! Drivers side each time)

Summary:

The supercharger definitely adds a lot of power in makes the 1998 Lincoln Navigator a lot better for towing my boat (it was rated as having 230 HP and 325 lb/ft of torque - there is no way those numbers are correct, especially the torque). The 5,500 lb. Navigator pulled my 4000 lb boat respectably with the supercharger at the base 7lbs of boost. However, there was a problem with the Fuel Management Unit and it blew up my engine!! It didn't allow for enough fuel so the engine ran too lean and consequently, too hot. It melted one bank of spark plugs and now I have a $7,500 repair bill on my hands. Not happy. I did not spend $4,500 on my supercharger only to have to replace the engine to the tune of $7,500 a year later. Needless to say, I'll be going after Paxton for some reimbursement.

Summary:

Sucks...babied the thing and the input shaft is gone. Cranked it on day and the head unit sounded like a turbo gone way wrong, loud hissing. Paxton no longer support the SN2000 supercharger and has sold the entire inventory to "Paradise Wheels".(760-740-0954). They're going to repair the damn thing for 700 bucks and can modify the propeller for 1-15lbs of extra boost for another 100. They back their rebuilds with a 6 month warranty.

Summary:

this product will not last for more than 6 months. i purchased it in 1998, ive put less than 20,000 miles on it,its been out for repairs 7 times. the first time it was leaking, paxton told me that it was getting too hot. they said that i needed a cooler, i purchased a cooler kit. they were the only people who sold the cooler kit. it was a pump,some hose,speacial dip stick and a trans cooler. about $80.00 worth of stuff. but they charged $269.00 for it. what a rip off!! after installing my cure for a leaking supercharger, i thought it was fixed.(WRONG!!). it was repaired 4 times for leaking, 2 times for bearings. i paid for 1 repair $550.00. i just pulled it off again, its leaking. it had been repaired only four months ago.ive had to re-tap my timming cover because it stripped out after removing the supercharger so many times.paxton will not stand behined this product anymore. if you need a repair, you have send it to a place called paridise wheels .they purchased the sn line. they didnt know what they were getting in to. it was a BIG WASTE OF$$$$!!.

Summary:

Product is poor quality, Instructions are bad, and estimated installation time is a joke. I have gone thru 3 output shafts since I have owned the unit. Now the 'Paxta-map' fuel controller is starting to go out. I called Paxton and they NO LONGER SUPPORT this unit, and do not sell any alternatives. They advised me to contact VORTECH! Finally some good advice! I should have bought a Vortech to start with.

Summary:

If you have a Paxton SN89, SN92, SN93, SN2000, and/or VR4 superchargers, I can rebuild/repair or sell you parts. I also purchase units that customers want to sell (as long as they are reasonable in price and not completely destroyed).I understand the difficulties that are listed in the reviews below because I experience much of the same from Paxton in the early to mid 1990's. It appears things still have not changed! Reason why I obtained moy own parts and suppliers. Email me if you have questions. I will be glad to help ya. -Mike

Summary:

Follow-up to my last review:

Paxton finally agreed to repair the "New" supercharger (that arrived already damaged) free of charge. This unit is much faster than the last one: it only took about 4,000 miles for it to start seizing up. The last one took a whole 14 months (2 months longer than the warranty) to fail. I only wish that this site had a negative-five-star rating that I could rateb this sub-standard product with. AVOID THIS PAXTON AUTOMOTIVE'S PRODUCTS LIKE THE EBOLA VIRUS!!!

Similar Products Used:

Can't afford to replace this thing without a full refund from Paxton (as if that would ever happen).

Weaknesses:

Bearings seized in the unit with under 10,000 miles of normal (no racing or abuse)highway driving. Fit was supposed to be easy bolt on with no modifications. WRONG...bracket had to be ground to fit. Also check engine soon light stays on with no way to correct computers reading of "manifold pressure to high". After reading all of these blower problems listed here I will be staying with engine mods instead. Warranties are nearly non-existent or worthless for a lot of superchargers

Summary:

Sure wish I could get my money back...spent over $2,000 for a mediocre system. I could have been well on my way to street building a nice motor.

Weaknesses:

Paxton claimed kit was COMPLETE with all parts needed for instalation. IT WASN'T! I had to buy a $200.00 alternater and drive belt. One of the rubber hoses that connect the discharge tubes together was too short. I called them but they wouldn't send a new one until I mailed them the one that came with the kit. It would have only cost them pennies to replace it and make a happier customer. Instead I had the choice of waiting two weeks for mailing time & however long it would take them to send it out or find & buy a piece locally. I found bulldozer radiator hose that worked. All of the bolts in the kit were not correct. I had to by propper bolts. The manual was POOR QUALITY. Some of the pictures were even upside down!

To top it all off, the thing turned it's self into a piece of junk. It seized up and fried it's drive belts in the proccess. It was still under warranty so I called Paxton and got instructions to send it to them. I drained all the oil out of it. There was metal shavings in it. I put it in a platic bag then in a box with styrofoam & shipped it. That cost $40.00 A full MONTH went by and I didn't hear from them! I called to see what was taking so long. They hadn't repaired it and were debaiting if they would. !?!? What the ƒß©ð?? They said "it didn't have any oil in it that's why it blew up" WRONG!!! I drained it to ship to them. I didn't want to pay extra to ship the oil to he other side of the country & maybe it lea out in transit & destroy the shipping box. Cardboard soaked in oil doesn't hold to gether very well. After weeks of deliberation they finally honored the warranty on the supercharger but not the drive belt. $50 more dollors to spend for that!! Finally I get My supercharger back but it's not MY supercharger!!

It was one that belonged to some poor guy in Texas. It was for a mustang. his invoice was in the bag on the box. They put the wrong shipping labels on the wrong boxxes. What else can go wrong? I called Paxton and told them what I had recieved. They said "so that's where that went". It was shipped UPS to me. I asked the guy at Paxton to do a UPS RECALL. With that the UPS truck would come to my house & pick it up and send it back to the sender at the senders expense. 6 weeks went buy and no pick up. I called Paxton and they didn't do the recall. They wanted to know why I hadn't sent the supercharger back. I cussed the guy and went straight to UPS & sent it back to them at another $40.00. A little over three weeks later I got my supercharger & $50.00 belt. What a nightmare. I've never had so much trouble with anything!!!

To beat it all I used it about 1 more year and the seals started leaking. it hasn't been on the car since. It will cost $700 to get it rebuilt.

<a name="review910744">Weaknesses:

First blower seized 2 months after warranty expired in spite of, religious fluid (recomended- Ford Type F Trans. fluid)every 2000 miles, absolutely no abuse, and absolutely NO towing (third party {dealer} confirmed that fluid in blower was absolutely CLEAN}. Bought second blower for $900 to get a one year warranty.Would have cost $750 to repair orig. unit and only get a 30 day warranty. Kept blower in sealed package on shelf for 3 months (no time to install). Upon opening, found drive pulley dinged (can't install belt), axial play in shaft, and new blower will not even turn by hand. Paxton refuses to honor warranty, insisting that repair must be paid for. Fuel enrichment system fuel line tends to disconnect in hot weather, causing a great big, smelly, flammable hazard.

Summary:

Paxton sucks. Their service is lousy, their warranty is a joke, and their product makes a Yugo look reliable. I've given them one star, but they don't even deserve that. Absolutely no one should buy this junk.

While anything can be problematic, to include the Whipple which seems to be the supercharger of choice by most here, the Paxton has way too many issues for me to recommend it to anyone. (By the way, I've owned a 1966 and 1968 GT 350 and the '66 is now fitted with a Paxton. As far as being the supercharger of choice during the 1960's, I've never heard of any other supercharger available for the vintage Shelby's back in the day. As far as I know, the Paxton was the only supercharger used on the 1960's Shelbys.)

I have early build Vista Blue 5-speed 2008 GT here in the UK. Beginning of this year took the car to Roush UK, who are the only Factory OE quality supplier here in England. I had their M90 Supercharger fitted and kept the standard cold air induction kit. They did the complete install and recalibration of the ECU, via their direct link to Roush USA. The kit installed is their 435hp one, which is rated at 450 with the cold air kit. This conversion was recommended because of its excellent finished driveability and less strain on the 4.6 bottom-end components. I also had them fit the latest uprated Roush belt tensioner assembly along with Granatelli coil packs. The Shelby fitted strut brace was swapped out for the Roush, one due to the supercharger needing greater clearance.

Driving experience is exceptional, no drivability issues what-so-ever, car behaves perfectly hot or cold. Below 3250rpm the car drives much like the standard non-charged car but has near instant throttle response. Above 3250rpm car is completely transformed, astounding performance as revs climb, howl of supercharger a bonus. Best performance upgrade i've ever done to a car.

I also have a M90 with upgraded CAI and love it not the fastest but a hella lot of fun .I bought mine used with M90 on it .With 21000 miles no problems sweet Roushcharger I get crap cause its not shelby APPROVED!!!! I tell them look up a SR-71 Thats a SHELBY ROUSH mustang for those that dont know,lmao but my car is KUSTOM to my liking from push to start after i put mine in shelby started selling ,to headlight splitters, Kustom CS-70 wheels ECT,ECT on on So yes their is other superchargers .

Springer,

That was a really old rant/review on older models. Paxton and Vortec are the same now. I gained 158 RWHP with just the basic 1200SL model. Three year warranty for 60.00 and I've had no issues for two years now. Easy install too.

Springer,

That was a really old rant/review on older models. Paxton and Vortec are the same now. I gained 158 RWHP with just the basic 1200SL model. Three year warranty for 60.00 and I've had no issues for two years now. Easy install too.

Nice.

Big Carls 07 is NASTY with the Paxton!

Yep, I'll chime in, again!

All superchargers will fit the horsepower bill, a lot depends upon your taste and budget! If you've got the cash, I agree, send it to Shelby for the mod - Kenne-Bell, Whipple, or even Paxton, (if it's been approved for the 2008 yet).

Now, I looked at a lot of options, but it was out of my price range for the Shelby trip, so that left local speed shops or DIY. After serious consideration for one of the above mentioned chargers, I went a whole different direction and opted for an Edelbrock E-Force, then installed it myself!

I probably saved several thousand dollars and definitely learned a lot, not to mention getting 460 hp and 420 tq at the rear wheels!

I figure this car will be worth something someday, but that will probably long after I'm to old to care or dead, and whoever gets it after me can return it to original condition without much effort...

Sam

Like always, what Sam said about e-force :)

Best choice for me "."

Lg

Archived