TEAM SHELBY FORUM

suggestions for putting SC on 2008 shelby GT?

We are loooking to put a SC on our 2008 Shelby GT. Confused about options and installation. Any suggestions? It is an automatic that is factory except for some cosmetic additions. Thank you in advance....

As for budget, not looking to break the bank. As for intended use after the SC is installed.... not planning on racing, but feeling a little bummed that my wife's 2012 Flex with Ecoboost has more horsepower (written by the wife) Actually, just wanting to get more horsepower. The car has only about 5000 miles on it. Around town driving with a few short road trips to Indiana (shelby show) and Kentucky to see grands. More horsepower seems to be the key to my husband's heart right now.

Do you want to just modify the car or preserve its heritage? If the former there are any number of aftermarket superchargers that will fit the bill. If you want to preserve your Shelby GT's heritage you would want to sent it to Vegas, get the Shelby supercharger installed, and get the Shelby GT/SC badge. At the time I had a Kenne Bell (and I was a very early '08 conversion) but now there is a Ford Racing (FRPP) Whipple option. Either will give you more scoot than you can handle. I had the Kenne Bell on both a 5-speed and automatic, and the automatic was a beast with it!!! :)

Tasca or Vegas are the 2 Authorized Mod shops, I agree with the others on the Whipple, it has proven to work very well with this car.

I spent a little more and went to Tasca, I wanted everything documented. You can save a little going elsewhere, but make sure you have references. I lived 30 minutes from Tasca at the time, it was an easy decision.

Yep, I'll chime in, again!

All superchargers will fit the horsepower bill, a lot depends upon your taste and budget! If you've got the cash, I agree, send it to Shelby for the mod - Kenne-Bell, Whipple, or even Paxton, (if it's been approved for the 2008 yet).

Now, I looked at a lot of options, but it was out of my price range for the Shelby trip, so that left local speed shops or DIY. After serious consideration for one of the above mentioned chargers, I went a whole different direction and opted for an Edelbrock E-Force, then installed it myself!

I probably saved several thousand dollars and definitely learned a lot, not to mention getting 460 hp and 420 tq at the rear wheels!

I figure this car will be worth something someday, but that will probably long after I'm to old to care or dead, and whoever gets it after me can return it to original condition without much effort...

Sam

All superchargers will fit the horsepower bill, a lot depends upon your taste and budget! If you've got the cash, I agree, send it to Shelby for the mod - Kenne-Bell, Whipple, or even Paxton, (if it's been approved for the 2008 yet).

Paxton will never be available for '08 or later. I think they gave up on CA emissions certification.

I figure this car will be worth something someday, but that will probably long after I'm to old to care or dead, and whoever gets it after me can return it to original condition without much effort...

Sam

YES! Most of the blowers can be easily installed AND uninstalled. I think there are literally two hoses that would need to be purchased to put mine back to stock.

Paxton will never be available for '08 or later. I think they gave up on CA emissions certification.

Not available for the GT/SC, but you can buy em and install em your self OR I was told that you can get the "shelby" marked paxton from the shelby speed shop as well, just not as an official gt/sc.

There are basically four options when shopping superchargers which cover two basic designs, screw and centrifugal.

1. Whipple - Sold as a kit by Ford, very impressive looking, ~450-550hp. Screw

2. Kenne Bell - Also very impressive looking, ~550hp. Screw

3. Edelbrock E-Force - Very Stealthily in appearance, newest on the market ~460hp. Screw

4. Paxton/Vortec - Least impressive in appearance but was the SC of choice by Shelby in the '60s. Least expensive. ~400-500hp. Centrifugal.

The first two can be had as an Shelby mod (SGT/SC designation) for ~$12K. From most local speed shops the first three can be had for ~$7-9k installed. The kits alone run between $5-7k depending on the options. The Paxton/Vortec will run $4-5k for the kit and you can expect up to another $1k to have it installed. You really cannot go wrong with any of them, but as has been mentioned the Paxton/Vortec may have emissions issues depending on your state's laws.

The prices are an approximation. Advertised HP numbers are at the motor while most people refer to the HP at the wheels.

If you want to kick a Whipple's butt, use a strut brace and win car shows and yes I have a automatic, get a polished Kenne Bell. Go ahead, let's hear it, I have my flame proof/ fire suit on :lurk:

479rwhp/405rwtq 9lb boost @6900rpm, temp 98.6 inside shop/ Tuned at AED Nor-cal, White car

Thank you everyone! You have given us lots to consider. I will get a picture up of our car as soon as I find one. I know I have some great shots, but couldn't locate last night. I will let you know what we decide.

Just wanted to clarify Tony's post. CARB certification is up to Paxton/Vortech and not SAI.

Steve

Whatever happened to Paxton? I recall they got bought and the don't seem to have done anything new, just selling the older stuff they had already gotten through CARB.

If you want to kick a Whipple's butt, use a strut brace and win car shows and yes I have a automatic, get a polished Kenne Bell. Go ahead, let's hear it, I have my flame proof/ fire suit on :lurk:

479rwhp/405rwtq 9lb boost @6900rpm, temp 98.6 inside shop/ Tuned at AED Nor-cal, White car

No flames from me, but what strut brace do you use please post pic.

Whatever happened to Paxton? I recall they got bought and the don't seem to have done anything new, just selling the older stuff they had already gotten through CARB.

They're still hanging in there. Paxton released a blower kit for the Coyote motor but it too does not have a CARB number. Emission certification is costly not to mention that most folks prefer a screw s/c.

Steve

Got a Paxton on mine! Installed it myself, no problem getting an emissions certificate either here in Georgia.

Paxton was purchased by Vortech some years ago. Many of their products are identical with exception of the name plates.

There are basically four options when shopping superchargers which cover two basic designs, screw and centrifugal.

1. Whipple - Sold as a kit by Ford, very impressive looking, ~450-550hp. Screw

2. Kenne Bell - Also very impressive looking, ~550hp. Screw

3. Edelbrock E-Force - Very Stealthily in appearance, newest on the market ~460hp. Screw

4. Paxton/Vortec - Least impressive in appearance but was the SC of choice by Shelby in the '60s. Least expensive. ~400-500hp. Centrifugal.

The first two can be had as an Shelby mod (SGT/SC designation) for ~$12K. From most local speed shops the first three can be had for ~$7-9k installed. The kits alone run between $5-7k depending on the options. The Paxton/Vortec will run $4-5k for the kit and you can expect up to another $1k to have it installed. You really cannot go wrong with any of them, but as has been mentioned the Paxton/Vortec may have emissions issues depending on your state's laws.

The prices are an approximation. Advertised HP numbers are at the motor while most people refer to the HP at the wheels.

I take offense to that comment. I think that is all a matter of opinion.

IMO that's a silly comment. People on here and every site I frequent post opinions all the time that aren't prefaced by "IMO". I would assume the average enthusiast is smart enough to figure out that a statement of "this looks cooler than that" is simply opinion.

IMO that's a silly comment. People on here and every site I frequent post opinions all the time that aren't prefaced by "IMO". I would assume the average enthusiast is smart enough to figure out that a statement of "this looks cooler than that" is simply opinion.

Fair enough, I am just crabby because I am pretty sure I broke my wrist last night and in a lot of pain. Going to the doctor soon, hoping its just a sprain and I can get some meds.

Archived