TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT #2 at Mecum Auction in Monterey

WYTSNKE

I visited the Monterey Peninsula last weekend to attend the Shelby Cobra 50th Anniversary celebrations at the Monterey Motorsports Reunion and the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance, when I ran into Shelby GT #2 parked outside the Mecum auction outside the Hyatt Regency (see photos below).

The car is signed by Carroll on both the hood and inside on the arm rest (also noticed one of the signed Shelby GT framed lithographs in the back seat -- unfortunately I couldn't filter out the sun's reflection in the photo). I'm assuming it didn't sell because they were getting ready to load it up on a transporter.

I just wanted to share... :)

th_IMG_4080-Copy.jpg

th_IMG_4069.jpg

th_IMG_4073.jpg

th_IMG_4074.jpg

Glad everyone likes the photos ... the Shelby GTs and GT-Hs are the sweetest-looking, but of course I'm a bit biased!

I'd tend to agree that a low-numbered car would be 1-100 when it comes to the Shelby GT (a total of 7,831 SGTs, GT-Cs & Barrett Jackson GTs were built in '07-'08).

Appreciate the update ... $52,000 is a very good price for a #2 car (considering #1 went for $600,000).

Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but $500K of that bid was Ron Pratt's "donation" to the CSCF Fundraising efforts... IIRC, Bidding stalled at $100K and then "magically" jumped to $600K in one bid...

But boy did the Dealerships capitalize on the $600,000 figure... Same as they did when the #1 2007 GT500 also sold for $600K and was bought by R.P. the year prior...

Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but $500K of that bid was Ron Pratt's "donation" to the CSCF Fundraising efforts... IIRC, Bidding stalled at $100K and then "magically" jumped to $600K in one bid...

But boy did the Dealerships capitalize on the $600,000 figure... Same as they did when the #1 2007 GT500 also sold for $600K and was bought by R.P. the year prior...

Ah, no wonder ... the $500K "donation" does inflate the $600K final bid a bit (forgot about RP's involvement in the auction -- definitely a boon to dealers at the time). Thanks for the additional info!

not saying Ron Pratt was the seller of # 2 because I dont know......but #2 was sold with #1 to Ron for that 600k at BJ in 2007.

I thought the winning bidder (RP) had the option to "buy" the #2 Car at MSRP :shrug:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017302_2007-barrett-jackson-shelby-gt-001-goes-for-600k

image_100176998_m.jpg

And FWIW, the #2 SGT has been offered up for sale/auction a couple of times in the past few years... So I have lost track of who actually owns it now???

Somewhat related question... How does one wash this car without damaging Mr. Shelby's signature on the hood?

-Pockdog

Believe it or not, according to ehow.com: Spray several layers of clear coat over the autograph and the entire hood to protect it when cleaning the car (although I don't know how well the silver vinyl stripes will fare).

I thought the winning bidder (RP) had the option to "buy" the #2 Car at MSRP :shrug:

http://www.motorauth...1-goes-for-600k

And FWIW, the #2 SGT has been offered up for sale/auction a couple of times in the past few years... So I have lost track of who actually owns it now???

That was my recollection also. That RP had the option to purchase #2 but turned it down.

Steve

Archived