TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cleaning and water spot question

thewheelman

I'm in Hawaii, visiting my son and week-old grand daughter, and he's letting me drive his gray 06 GT. So, being a good dad (and grand dad) and not being able to sit still very long, I decided I'd clean it up for him. It's a very nice car, he bought it about 3 months ago and with a baby on the way and a 2 year old hanging on, waxing and detailing was not high on his priority list. The car looks great from 20 feet, but when you get up close it's got some bumps and bruises normal for a 6 year old car. What is driving me nuts is the water spots on the hood, front bumper and rear window. At home, after I wash my GT 500, I take it home and "spritz" it with Turtle Wax Ice detailer. I don't know about yours, but mine hides water up under the hood and blows it out all the way home, so when I get there, I've got some nice nasty water streaks all the way down the side of the car. The Ice seems to take care of those handily. The local wallyworld didn't have the Ice I usually use, so I picked up a bottle of the "premium care" Ice and tried it. Had good luck with the fenders, trunk, rear bumper, spoiler, doors--everything except the hood, front bumper and rear window. The water spots are terrible! I'm thinking about giving those spots a CLR bath!

Before you say anything, I have not the time, patience, nor inclination to clay bar the car. I've never done it and just not going to. SO, what, if any options do I have for products that can be bought at wallyworld, target or parts houses that can erase these water spots?????

Thanks in advance!

There are all kinds of water that can cause spots, if it has a high iron content it can be harder to remove and if you wax over them you must remove the wax first. as for the windows they are simple to clean, if the spots are hard to get off use mothers glass water spot remover it will work.

Wash the car with a harsh dishwashing detergent. It will remove the wax. Then you really might have to use a clay bar to get the remaining spots off, and then wax with a good paste wax - I use the Turtle Wax Ice paste since it doesn't leave residue on the black plastic parts.

I really don't find much difference in the spray detailers. Between Ice, Meguiars and Mothers I think they're equivalent. I buy the Meguiars clay bar kit (which includes a bottle of detailer) but always need more detailer so use Ice and can't tell a difference in how they work.

+1 on the vinegar if the spotting has not etched the paint real bad, you should be able to get rid of the left over minerals at least. I had to use this a few times cause my water was so hard after washes.

Thanks all, picked up a pint of vinegar today. There's no shade to work in so I'm going to wash it at my son's house and come back to the condo parking structure to wax.....I used the detailer on it there yesterday.....I think some of the other guests think I'm a local working for tips!

Archived