TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Plus Brake System

I just purchsed a not so used BEAR Shelby Plus brake system. I thought I would install these since the price was awesome. Thanks Dan.

Has anyone installed the Shelby Plus brake system?

If so, my question is when removing the smaller dust shield, do you replace it with a 14 inch from Ford or leave it off? I heard it may rub. I will also be installing the Eradispeed +2 rear set once a sale comes. what about the rear dust shield?

if you took pictures of the install please post. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchsed a not so used BEAR Shelby Plus brake system. I thought I would install these since the price was awesome. Thanks Dan.

Has anyone installed the Shelby Plus brake system?

If so, my question is when removing the smaller dust shield, do you replace it with a 14 inch from Ford or leave it off? I heard it may rub. I will also be installing the Eradispeed +2 rear set once a sale comes. what about the rear dust shield?

if you took pictures of the install please post. Thanks in advance.

Hey Harald,

I installed the set in question (both front and rear) And I left the stock dust shield in place for now ( until I install cooling ducts) and have not have any problems. I'm close enough to you that you are more than welcome to check out what I've done. But rite now I don't have any pic's to post. Hope this helps you out. JJ

P.S. I Know my stang is a 2010, but I also got a killer deal on the 2007 front brakes that came on the shelby gt.

Hey Harald,

I installed the set in question (both front and rear) And I left the stock dust shield in place for now ( until I install cooling ducts) and have not have any problems. I'm close enough to you that you are more than welcome to check out what I've done. But rite now I don't have any pic's to post. Hope this helps you out. JJ

P.S. I Know my stang is a 2010, but I also got a killer deal on the 2007 front brakes that came on the shelby gt.

Thanks for the reply. Instructions say to remove them and also spoke with BEAR and confirmed this. I am waiting for the Eradispeed +2 set that I just ordered and once they come in I will do the install.

• 2 weeks later...

As to your question of leaving the shield off, do not. Even though is is quite thin, 1.0 - 1.5 mm, it keeps the rotor centered in the caliper. Caliper design has no movement during use and pistons on either side are designed at fully fully pushed in condition to give just enough room to easily fit the caliper with brand new pads over the rotor. Most likely without the shield the engine side will bind and your rotor will not turn when everything is secure.

Secondary item that could happen is that the wheel side pistons could more easily start leaking brake fluid at fully worn pad and rotor condition. Certainly this is not something I would expect being big chance as most of us modifying our cars do not let parts wear out to the extremes.

Your use of the smaller or larger diameter shield is your call. Only difference is that the outer diameter of the larger rotor is not protected as well from road debris. You might develop noise or faster wear of the pads as the debris gets worked into the lining.

Enjoy you brakes when you gt them installed. They will make a big difference.

Admitting I errored in this explanation for the Mustang. Forgot that the Mustang is different than all other applications I have worked on with fixed calipers and shield is sandwiched between knuckle and bearing which does impact rotor location. Still hold to using shields

DrKSGT.

Dr K, where did you find the windshield banner?

As part of the Great Lakes Region Directors group we offered them over a year ago. White, Silver, and gold. Can PM you once I check with other Directors to see what is left. Color preference?

Being you are indicated as Ohio, it would be a good add to your car.

DrKSGT

As to your question of leaving the shield off, do not. Even though is is quite thin, 1.0 - 1.5 mm, it keeps the rotor centered in the caliper. Caliper design has no movement during use and pistons on either side are designed at fully fully pushed in condition to give just enough room to easily fit the caliper with brand new pads over the rotor. Most likely without the shield the engine side will bind and your rotor will not turn when everything is secure.

Secondary item that could happen is that the wheel side pistons could more easily start leaking brake fluid at fully worn pad and rotor condition. Certainly this is not something I would expect being big chance as most of us modifying our cars do not let parts wear out to the extremes.

Your use of the smaller or larger diameter shield is your call. Only difference is that the outer diameter of the larger rotor is not protected as well from road debris. You might develop noise or faster wear of the pads as the debris gets worked into the lining.

DrKSGT.

Bear says to remove the dust shield for this application.

DrKSGT.

I'm sorry, but that's just bad info.

The dust shields have absolutely nothing to do with rotor placement. The dust shields are just that, shields. They shield the rotor from debris as well as sheild the ball joins and struts from brake dust. They provide no other function. If Baer calls for removal, then remove them. Even if you intend to keep the OEM brakes and are planning to run your car hard on a track I would recomend removing them in lue brake ducts as the shields hender brake cooling.

The dust shields have absolutely nothing to do with rotor placement. The dust shields are just that, shields. They shield the rotor from debris as well as sheild the ball joins and struts from brake dust. They provide no other function. If Baer calls for removal, then remove them. Even if you intend to keep the OEM brakes and are planning to run your car hard on a track I would recomend removing them in lue brake ducts as the shields hender brake cooling.

Exactly what Bear rep said. I will be installing per instructions provided by Bear. I just have to find the time.

I have update my post noting the shield on a Mustang does not move the rotor. Picture in previous post does show their attachment to direct to knuckle. My position however stands to keep shields for track purposes. Severe police vehicle testing I have been involved with has melted wheel Speed sensor wires when path between wire and rotor plate is not obstructed. Phenomenom is heat radiation versus being conducted or convected. It is better to not have direct line of sight between hot rotor plates and plastic or rubber parts.

True that some of you that are running without could be doing fine. Your duty cycle may not be as severe as what I have seen. Great if you have not seen any issues.

DrKSGT

Fronts are on. Fairly easy install. Do think the dust/debris shield could stay on for street applications but I followed Bear instructions and removed them. May put them back on next time I change pads.

Better then stock braking for street application IMO. Thanks Dan (07SGT4843) for the brakes.

IMG-20120923-00193.jpg

IMG-20120923-00194.jpg

IMG-20120923-00195.jpg

IMG-20120923-00197.jpg

IMG-20120923-00193.jpg

IMG-20120923-00194.jpg

IMG-20120923-00195.jpg

IMG-20120923-00197.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived