TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Curious Clutch Comment

thewheelman

I called the dealer to check on the progress of my car with the 4th revision of the clutch/flywheel tsb. He said that using the test in the tsb, the synchros seemed to be fine and the trans was on the floor awaiting arrival of the clutch assembly. Cool. Then he said, "that's the cleanest clutch I've ever seen. It had no dust on it whatsoever. Clean as a pin. I've never seen a clutch that clean." I did notice, once the car was out of the garage, there's an area right under where the transmission would be that appears to be covered with a fine black dust.

What would cause a clutch to be "clean" or dirty?

I'm heading on vacation for a couple of weeks and am looking forward to my baby having a new clutch attitude when I get back!

The fine black dust is the material from the ceramic / metalic clutch pads wearing on the flywheel. I'm sure there was plenty of dust ! That is normal for these cars.

Your going to love the new 4th gen 2010 clutch and flywheel. I just had it put in my car & my wife's car. They are super easy to drive and very street-able. Love the way the clutch operates !

Question on the 2010 Clutch & Flywheel, Is this a direct Ford replacement that I can get done at my dealer? Ballpark, what's the cost to do this? I'm way out of warrenty with my 2007, but have not liked the original clutch since day 1. This sounds like a great alternative.

Al the info you need is right here:

http://fordmusclecarclub.com/index.php?/topic/74-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

Dealer called me about 3 yesterday afternoon and said, "I got a Shelby Mustang out here that's got a new attitude!" He said she drives smooth and no clutch chatter. No charge! I won't be back until the 30th, can't wait to get her back and sample that new attidude. It's some consolation that I'm getting to drive my son's GT while we're here.......

Today I priced out doing the 2010 clutch swap on my 07 at my local Ford dealer, Walnut Creek Ford, and it came out at a whopping $2,271, Parts - $1,298, Labor $866 and Tax $107. I'm going to shop this around a bit and see if I can find another reputable dealer to do it for a little less, but I doubt it. That is the bummer of living in the SF bay area.

Today I priced out doing the 2010 clutch swap on my 07 at my local Ford dealer, Walnut Creek Ford, and it came out at a whopping $2,271, Parts - $1,298, Labor $866 and Tax $107. I'm going to shop this around a bit and see if I can find another reputable dealer to do it for a little less, but I doubt it. That is the bummer of living in the SF bay area.

Order the parts off my link. You can get them from Tasca or Team Ford for about 900 bucks. All Ford labor hour books are the same. The job books at 5.1 hours....not a minute more. Find out what the labor rate is per hour and times it by 5 hours. Simple math to find out if they are trying to rip you off.

Clayton Shelby, rather than look at better pricing I would be asking how many clutch replacements the technician has performed on a Shelby. I would be worried that the tech would try to skip a step or two if it is taking him more than the alloted time.

That large Ford dealer near the Concord Airport sells a lot of speciality Mustangs so they may have more experience with the Shelby quirks.

Thanks Grabber, I'll order the parts from Tasca Ford then look for a dealership to do the job. I did ask Walnut Creek Ford about their labor rate and they said they don't have one. All work is by the job which makes sense why they can charge whatever they want. There are 3 Ford dealerships in my area; Concord & Pittsburgh don't have a great reputation for service. Walnut Creek does do good work when it's warranty. This is the 1st time I've tried them past the warranty period. What a difference being out of warranty makes.

Well every dealership has to do the work by the job and the job is based on how much time a qualified Mechanic takes to do it. There is a book on every repair on how long it will take and that allows a nice profit. Stay way clear of that dealer.

It's Walnut creek, the town of the rich and unfamous and or those that service them.

I lived there till I was 19..... That dealer ship has been that way since I was a teen.

Does not surprise me it's still that way.

Bottom line they have a labor rate... it is applied to the time the tech, shop, and service adviser called the job at...

The labor rate is variable on many things from customer attitude, to need to pad or reduce a job total. So are the parts prices, and the time quoted for the job. Book rates are only hard and fast for one thing... what the manufacturer will pay for warranty work.

Other then that, book time is a guide.. the dealer is not restricted to charging for that many hours, nor limited to that amount and can charge more.

My dealer here in Vancouver WA is not like that. Any and every job can be quoted right out of the book. Also the book rate for the work is higher for a retail customer than it is for ford warranty work.

for example Ford will only pay the dealer 4.2 hours for the Clutch TSB labor and if the customer has to pay for it, the book rate is 5.1 hours. The dealer basically makes an extra hour on the job if the customer has to pay for it.

And by the way the job takes exactly 4 hours for a good mechanic to do it and that includes 20 minutes to bleed the clutch and do the test drive so the book rate is right on the money.

My dealer here in Vancouver WA is not like that. .

From a consumer standpoint and understanding, Im sure that is the understanding.

From the other side of the counter reality is different.

Order the parts off my link. You can get them from Tasca or Team Ford for about 900 bucks. All Ford labor hour books are the same. The job books at 5.1 hours....not a minute more. Find out what the labor rate is per hour and times it by 5 hours. Simple math to find out if they are trying to rip you off.

Or less from Tousley Ford http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/

post-35940-0-45445300-1345688367_thumb.jpg

post-35940-0-45445300-1345688367_thumb.jpg

Do you work at a Ford dealership ?

No, my wife is a 18 plus year service adviser. Has worked for GM, Chevy, Jeep, and FORD..

I get the inside details and most places... use of the shops.. drink beer and BBQ with the techs, service management, general management and on weekends and after bizness hours turn wrenches on my junk.

Im not saying the business model of the shop you reference is different then what you say it is..

Just that, while that is the model (and a great one BTW) Im very sure they do adjust things from time to time.....it's just how things are done. at the best of places,,, and done a lot more at the worst of places.

Cool.

I agree that they may treat me different than others. I know them all. But if one goes in armed with info.......they should be able to get the same deal, hopefully.

Absolutely agree. :worship: Knowledge is power, power is good.

And for clarity.. I'm not saying shops adjust labor, labor rate and parts prices in a bad way most times.. Just the opposite.. from what I have seen...

Things are adjusted to help the customer. .. Obviously not always, and some shops it would seem from what you read on internet forums, do so to take advantage as a business model. .... See post #8 as an example

I picked up my Shelby today from Future Ford of Concord and all I can say is; WOW, this is unbelieveable! This clutch is effortless. I can't get over how much easier it makes the car drive. No more chatter, unintended launches, putting the car in neutral at every stop light. All the fun without all pain. This is a great upgrade!

Grabber, thank you for all the detailed information. I spent some time going over the parts list with the service rep and it all happened just as planned. They were great to work with and put their top tech guy on it. All in all a very pleasurable experience. Thanks again for passing this one on. It's my favorite mod to-date.

Holy Goose Down Batman! The clutch is light as a feather! This is a NEW CAR! Like Clayton (above) I picked my baby up today from the local Ford dealer and the service manager said, "I want to see your face when you step on the clutch." He said the techs told him the car was done and he got in to start it and said, hey, the pedal's not connected to anything! I felt the same way. Geez! It's going to take some time to get used to this! Smooth as silk, light as a feather--no shudder, no stumble, easy engagement, NICE! The only down side is that I don't feel like I'm driving a 500 hp car any more.....until I put my foot down!

If you haven't had this latest revision to the clutch/flywheel TSB, take a copy to your dealer and work it out! You'll never regret it!

Archived