TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Is there a trained "SVT" tech at dealership?

650pony

Does anyone know if a dealership is required to have at least one tech who is trained to work on SVT vehicles? Personally, that's the only tech I would want to work on my GT500. Please let me know your experience and/or recommendations..

Thanks!

Does anyone know if a dealership is required to have at least one tech who is trained to work on SVT vehicles?

My understanding: Only if the dealership is SVT certified.

My dealer (Phil Long Ford-Motor City) had one SVT Tech. I understand they have 2 or 3 now. I'll only let the first one (Phil) work on MY SVT Mustang or Raptor.

Phill

Hi Phil, thanks for sharing your experience.

Today I met a gentleman who bought a 2013 Boss 302. He told me of the SVT-certified dealership in our county.

All good stuff to know.

Thanks again!

My dealership doesn't know s*** about SVT vehicles! I know way more than they do! That is why I spend A LOT of time talking to the service manager! Maybe it is because I live in a relatively small town or they just don't want to take the time to study the spec's of the Shelby. Hell I remember my first 2010 Shelby and I left the dealership and the blower hadn't kicked in yet. I went about two blocks and turned around and went to the service bay and it took some flunky over an hour to tell me you had to put X amount of miles on it before it kicks in! I also caught them just in time for an oil change. They were fixing to put it the wrong oil! I think if they sell them some mechanic needs to go to SVT school! Hell when I traded my '10 in for an '11 they didn't even know about the engine block change. But the upside of that was they gave me way too much for my trade! Look,watch and talk to mechanics at Ford. denohew P.S. I still can't figure out how Ford shuts the blower off on new Shelby's? I mean it is turning and there is no waste gate or relief valve that I know of? That will always be a mystery to me unless I get a good explanation!

Cool...I just checked my dealer, and they are the only one in my area...and there are tons of Ford dealers between my office and home.

I knew they took good care of me - never had an issue at all with their service.

I know the Service Manager since I have both my SGT and my Expedition serviced there, they know me by first name when I call.

He also routinely gives me wholesale pricing on most parts when I need something. I've sent many great surveys in on them after work has been done and they have earned every bit of the good comments I give them.

If anyone in Atlanta area needs one, it is Cherokee Ford in Woodstock (not Cherokee Ford in Alpharetta - did have bad experience with them when they were Team Ford right after purchasing my SGT and presently no SVT certified tech.).

Thanks for the link....

Andy.

Does anyone know if a dealership is required to have at least one tech who is trained to work on SVT vehicles? Personally, that's the only tech I would want to work on my GT500. Please let me know your experience and/or recommendations..

Thanks!

What state do you live in?

What state do you live in?

We live in Northern Calif. I did a search on the link Snoopy49 sent and found a dealer about 7 miles from my house (not the dealer in which I made my purchase from) so I hope all they have to do is clean it up and check fluids and then I will hit the road and put some miles on the "Beast"!!

My dealership doesn't know s*** about SVT vehicles! I know way more than they do! That is why I spend A LOT of time talking to the service manager! Maybe it is because I live in a relatively small town or they just don't want to take the time to study the spec's of the Shelby. Hell I remember my first 2010 Shelby and I left the dealership and the blower hadn't kicked in yet. I went about two blocks and turned around and went to the service bay and it took some flunky over an hour to tell me you had to put X amount of miles on it before it kicks in! I also caught them just in time for an oil change. They were fixing to put it the wrong oil! I think if they sell them some mechanic needs to go to SVT school! Hell when I traded my '10 in for an '11 they didn't even know about the engine block change. But the upside of that was they gave me way too much for my trade! Look,watch and talk to mechanics at Ford. denohew P.S. I still can't figure out how Ford shuts the blower off on new Shelby's? I mean it is turning and there is no waste gate or relief valve that I know of? That will always be a mystery to me unless I get a good explanation!

I keep hearing several of you talk about "The blower hadn't kicked in yet". Is there a set amount of miles you have to put on the car before it builds boost? My husband has blower experience with the older muscle cars/hot rods and when you put your foot in it, cold or hot/new or old you have boost right now! so what gives? Oil/water temp minimum?

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least

100 miles (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle

maneuvers and at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before performance/

competition conditions. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Alternate calibration

Your Shelby GT500 power train control module (PCM) strategy contains

a feature to limit supercharger boost pressure and engine speed to

4,000 rpm for the first five consecutive miles of vehicle operation or 50

engine start/warm up cycles. This feature is enabled prior to shipment. If

neither of these conditions have been satisfied prior to customer

delivery, full power will not be available.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I am told anyone can become a SVT tech now a days. All they have to do is take a online correspondents class.

I believe that is correct according to my dad who works at an SVT certified dealer.

You take an online course and send one of you mechanics to be SVT trained. They are also doing an online course now for the Focus ST.

I am a former ford tech, and unfortunately i was never able to work on the gt500's. To be SVT certified there are on-line traing classes, and possibly a classrom hands-on course. As far as how they prevent boost, the computer controls the bypass valve during the first fifty miles and keeps it open. That way any boost the supercharger tries to make is returned back into the intake track before the supercharger. This is mainly to keep the abuse level down on the new rotating assy and all the bearings.

Archived